Help with Toyota Estima

Page 2 / 3
pepsi24, Jan 6, 3:43am
Thanks so much, thats great advice. The fact that the seats fold down like that makes it much handier. We will definitely look into the MPV.

pepsi24, Jan 6, 3:43am
Were there any other problems!.

cp.71, Jan 6, 3:50am
I also ran a 4l falcon wagon, and the running costs of the falcon was defintly less than the estima. On a trip to rotorua, the wagon was more fuel efficient
Both very reliable cars, both drove well, both comfortable.

pepsi24, Jan 6, 4:03am
Sorry to ask dumb questions, neither of know a thing about cars. Will petrol costs be better if she buys a 2.4L !.

pepsi24, Jan 6, 9:00am
Jesus trademe need to get their heads out of their you know whats. I just got a warning for putting a link to that listing up!. Farks sakes I just wanted help in picking the right vehicle. They don't complain when they get my money.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 6, 10:55am
Pepsi,
Its a lot of money for a van that is being turned into something it was not designed to do. They are expensive to buy and expensive to run.

The best thing your Sister can do is take some Euro vans for a run. They will give her everything she wants, sensible buy price, half the running costs and lovely to drive. in fact many are MUCH nicer to drive than an Estima.

If she is thinking she needs a Toyota for reliability, its simply not true. While the new estima is more reliable than the old it is still not a vehicle you buy for cheap running costs or extreme reliability. A Euro van is a proper commercial vehicle and designed to be reliable and do HUGE kms (like more than a million).

scoobeey, Jan 6, 11:18am
And MANY hiaces have done a mill kms .mines done 6hundy and runnin sweet:)

nick_o_teen, Jan 6, 11:23am
estimas are popular at our work, heaps of pple buy them. they are pretty reliable too

thejazzpianoma, Jan 6, 11:26am
Yes. but a hiace is overpriced, a "Van" in the sense that its comparatively uncomfortable to drive and noisy,hence the poster not wanting a "van".

They are also comparatively thirsty and often require more than twice the maintenance. They are stupidly unsafe by comparison (death or paraplegia/amputation after a 65km/h crash anyone!).

The Diesels are a joke, both thirsty, high maintenance and unreliable by comparison.

Completely unsuitable for the posters needs.

I have had Hiace's as work vehicles when I have worked for others. I didn't use them when I had my own business for the reasons above. Looking back, even from purely an economic point of view I did loads better than my peers running Hiaces. and I compared the figures regularly.

for_an_angel, Jan 6, 7:37pm
But shes already stated she dosn't want a commercial type VAN.

pepsi24, Jan 7, 4:53am
Thanks so much for all the help, we really do appreciate it.

pepsi24, Jan 10, 11:50am
Even though she'd prefer not to buy a van, she isn't going to rule anything out, so could you give us some recommendations for the euro vans you're talking about. Thanks very much.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 10, 7:16pm
Sure, and that's a wise idea because the difference between a hiace type vehicle and a Euro Van is huge. thats why they use Euro Vans for campers, they are big and nice to drive, travel in.

It comes down to price really, I would suggest trying several but with the exception possibly of the VW (who's regular diesel is a great unit) try and get into one with a Common Rail Diesel Engine.

Euro Vans from about the year 2000 started getting Common Rail diesels, some earlier some later. Common Rail is THE big revolution in diesels that make them properly quick and more economical.

Because of the emissions laws in Japan the Asians didn't really develop their diesels over that time period so the Asian vehicles in the price/age bracket you are talking about are comparatively thirsty and slow. Also, they are generally petrol (emissions rules in Japan again, unless commercial like the Hiace) which is just not anywhere near as well suited to that kind of vehicle.

So in the lower price range the Mercedes Vito Diesel. There are not really any suitable on Trademe at the moment but there are ususally a few in the 8 - 12K price range that would suit. Mercedes were about the first off the block with the Common Rail units so are often the cheapest with the technology. Vito's were available as people movers and commercial vans. For the use here getting one that was originally a people mover might be the ticket then you get the windows and more importantly nice flooring/sound proofing etc which is probably what is going to be most appreciated.

Same goes for all the Euro vans really you could get varying levels of trim so don't be put off if you look in some and don't see the carpet/sound proofing others of the same model will have it. Of course you can always add your own too if the vehicle is cheap enough to warrant it.

There is also the Mercedes Sprinter but this might be a bit too big for the purpose.

Fiat Ducato is one of my favorites, there have been some "new shape" but non-common rail ones of those go as cheap as 5K lately. If budget was a stretch a non-common rail one is a possibility but really common rail is the go if you have the money.

VW Transporter, these are a great wee van. Particularly reliable, zippy and a great van all around. Again lots of commercial ones without the plush interior so pick and choose.

Ford Transit, this is about the only one I would tend to avoid. It just dosn't match up for reliability and build compared to the others.

If you find the above are perhaps a bit big or you really want proper luxury this shape http://aluminumintransportation.org/static/src/autoaluminum/autoaluminum/media/application-images/Renault/Renault%20Espace.jpg renault espace might be the perfect vehicle. These were about the safest vehicle on the road when introduced and give you a better level of luxury than the asian people movers (leather, heated seats and all sorts) but more importantly have the really economical and powerful euro diesel engines. I am pretty sure the rear seats on these come undone easily to reveal a flat floor. The "Grand Espace" is a bit longer and even better for sleeping in. They come and go for around 11K - 18K on trademe from time to time.

One other thought is the VW Sharan. To be honest its not my favourite van in the world as they are getting a bit old and have the odd finicky problem. There are also almost no diesel ones in NZ. However you can buy a really nice one for about 5K which leaves you a lot of money in the bank for the extra fuel you may use and they are a lovely quiet nice driving machine with loads of power. Its a really good size for the purpose too being long and skinny with not too much bulk.

Anyhow, hopefully that gives you some ideas!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 10, 7:28pm
Just a couple more things, oddly there are not really any suitable euro vans on trademe at the moment which is strange because usually at any given time there would be 6-12 suitable ones in the price range.

It might be a time of year thing. So with that in mind I would suggest you find some on dealers lots etc of the early 2000's vintage. Ignore the price for the time being and just use them as an opportunity to take some different ones for a drive.

Then when suitable ones pop up here (and I would also check turners.co.nz as well) you know whether they suit or not. You should be able to get a nice one for similar money to what you would pay for a generation two Estima if you look around enough.

One other thing I meant to mention is if you liked the VW Sharan idea just check it is long enough. I know the transporter vans will be and I think the Sharan people mover is long enough to sleep in but I can't say I have tried.

Best of luck!

Oh and BTW if you come back to me with any feedback from the test drives (i.e say the Ducato was nice to drive but too big) then I can guide you as to which ones may suit better.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 10, 7:34pm
Perhaps you could post a picture of the recommended sleeping position in a funcargo!! (also known as the kazbansutra)
Would be an easy run around for town though.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 10, 7:35pm
Here's another thought for you, its the older model than I intended and not diesel but potentially a LOT of flat floor people mover for next to nothing. 346248406
If you liked it I could go and give it a basic look over for you as its local to me.

pepsi24, Jan 19, 10:48am
Hey guys, I have another question. My sister has decided she really likes the Toyota estima 2001 model. Now she was going to get a 2.4L because she thought it would be better on gas than a 3L. But a lady who does the market with her has a 3L and told her because she would be carting around a load, a 3L would be better otherwise it will be a strain on the smaller engine. Is this correct!.

clark20, Jan 19, 10:53am
The 3L certain is nice with 165Kw, I like the extra power over the 2.4. Much better on the open road as it can actually pass.

pepsi24, Jan 19, 10:58am
Sorry, another question. Shes been told that these have a chain and not a belt. What are the pro's and con's of this!.

king104, Jan 20, 1:49am
The 2.4 has a chain, the 3.0 runs cambelts. Most newer vehicles run chains now, they don't "break" and cause huge damage like cambelts can. We have 7 of these available and also use them in our rental fleet. If you need a hand just sing out ;-)

pepsi24, Jan 20, 1:52am
So whats your opinion if it will be used to carry a load! Will a load damage the engine of a 2.4!.

king104, Jan 20, 1:53am
What sort of weight are we talking!

pepsi24, Jan 20, 1:56am
2 heavy duty gazebos, 3 large easels and 20 or so paintings. I guess thats not a huge weight, probably more metric volume. Haha sorry I have no idea of actual weight.

king104, Jan 20, 2:01am
They are designed to carry 8 adults PLUS luggage so I think no problem. We rent Estimas to tourists carrying a full load travelling all over and have never had anyone complain. We actually sell some to the local people who have hired them. If you are worried we need to replicate the weight and try it out.

pepsi24, Jan 20, 2:03am
So do you have some for sale now!.