EEEEK door lock busted

smellykelly, Nov 25, 6:07pm
so.went to lock 316ti with the key last night, turned the key and the whole part of the lock barrell came out ON the key.so the cars locked, but i cant get into it! presume i need to replace the whole lock on the door! what about the key! - do they match the new lock to the old key or would i need new keys too! HATE to think what all thats going to cost! - also any reccommendations of a good, reasonable automotive locksmith in chch!

sir-ben, Nov 25, 6:09pm
chill, it may just be the securing spring, or screws came loose and it'll be a matter of re-fitting it for a couple of dollars.

carkeys4u, Nov 25, 7:19pm
this is very common and requires a repair kit

carmedic, Nov 25, 7:24pm
E46!
If so yes VERY common, you now have three/four options
1.) Order a new complete lock from Germany (via BMW NZ) $240-270 and 14 days which will fit your exsisting key.
2.) Buy a imported genuine BMW door lock (complete) $160 (I can let you know how) however the key will be different, but a locksmith can rebuild the lock to fit your existing key for about $25.
3.) Buy an aftermarket repair kit $70 and get a locksmith to rebuild the lock another $25.
4.) Call every wrecker in the country and find the part is that common that they??

smellykelly, Nov 25, 7:58pm
Thanks heaps.it's in a pretty dodge area.so might not even be there this morning lol. I'll have to get someone out so I can actually move it back Home.thanks for your help

carmedic, Nov 25, 8:15pm
Sorry Kelly, I didn??

kazbanz, Nov 26, 2:25am
Um--dont bmw's have two lockable doors!

carmedic, Nov 26, 4:50am
No not really, the E46's just have a driver??

smellykelly, Nov 26, 10:45am
Worked.bingo.thanks