Mazda Marvie

saturn51, Nov 28, 4:10am
Looking at getting a Marvie as a tow vehicle its the 2.6 petrol and has done roughly 230,000km's. Are they grunty enough to tow a stockcar! Also are they prone to exploding on the side of the road! many thanks

phillip.weston, Nov 28, 4:12am
I used one to tow a race car from Hamilton to Taupo and back and it did the job ok - but you had to use the accelerator alot to get anywhere and as a result it consumed a silly amount of fuel. Both the Mitsubishi and Mazda supplied 2.6 engines are prone to head gasket failure and cracked heads if over-heated. If you are set on going petrol (ie not using it much) then go for a 6cyl or if you are going to be covering many kms then opt for a diesel.

rob_man, Nov 28, 4:16am
More the middle of the road.

mugenb20b, Nov 28, 4:35am
F. no!

mugenb20b, Nov 28, 4:36am
Yep. They are thirsty, unreliable, gutless pigs.

saturn51, Nov 28, 4:51am
righto wont be getting one it seems. Thank you for all your input guys

franc123, Nov 28, 5:06am
If you like Marvies you don't have to opt for the thirsty and limp wristed Mitsi petrol engine, they can also be had with the 2.5 turbo diesel which was also used in the post '99 Mazda Bounties and Couriers.They are good value for money IMO overall these vehicles.But again you need to be seeing good evidence that the cooling system has been looked after well, its guaranteed grief otherwise

saturn51, Nov 28, 5:08am
Not really fussed on a particular make. As long as its a good tow wagon and wont cost me an arm and a leg ill take it

phillip.weston, Nov 28, 6:10am
I think you will find 90% of the 2.6 petrol Marvies are Mazda powered. They only used the Mitsubishi engines for a very short period in the initial run of vehicles until they had their own 2.6 petrol in production.