Cancelling registration

Page 2 / 2
crzyhrse, Nov 30, 10:26am
It's not illegal. It's specifically legislated for.

shuddupowh, Nov 30, 11:34am
I think the only reason they make you back pay is for people who drive around in cars with no rego so in the end they still end up paying. Its just a pity that people who dont know the rules and get rid of a car not knowing they have to dereg it end up getting into debt also. NZTA need to send out reminders to all register car owners (with their letters they send saying the rules for deregn etc and the fees you are liable for etc).but no instead they send you pamplets to try sell you a p-plate.

shuddupowh, Nov 30, 11:38am
My mums ex partner got put into this situation. He parked his car up on the lawn after it was too expensive to drive and wouldnt let us sell it so it just rusted away over 5years. He never handed in the plates (we assumed he did as he was SOMETIMES clued up on stuff but obvisouly not this). Then after that 5years got a letter saying he owed A SH-TLOAD of $$$s to the now NZTA. No idea why it took so long for them (no debt collectors) its almost as if they purposely done it so they could make more $. So the 1year owed became 5 or whatever they do. I just know it was alot. Scraping the car didnt cover it. But he learnt a lesson.

74nova, Nov 30, 6:07pm
If a car is on hold and that exemption expires and you do nothing about it way would you have to pay for back dated rego to when it expired when it's NOT currently registered in the first place! and when the exemption expires doesn't it automatically become 'de-registered after 6 months or so! Anyway I think if you get the plates and hand them in and officially cancel the rego you'll be OK.

smac, Nov 30, 6:35pm
Can't believe this still gets debated.it's not rocket science. If it's not pre-pay, people drive around until they get caught. So if you ignore the multiple reminders, you still have to pay. Yes the masses pay for the actions of a few, deal with it.

If you really are keen there's nothing stopping you just driving around unlicensed.go on, be a martyr.

crzyhrse, Nov 30, 7:23pm
Doubt it. The outstanding licensing fees are still due.

intrade, Nov 30, 7:42pm
yup it changed a while ago same as they soon will inspect diesel cars for odometer tempering divises like switches to stop people from opting out of ruc ripoff charges.

crzyhrse, Nov 30, 7:47pm
FYI
Here's the bit which means you must pay even if you're not using it unless it's on an exemption from continuous licensing:
http://legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2011/0079/latest/DLM2938434.html#DLM2938434

olsod2, Dec 1, 2:28am
when you got the letter from nzta to renew licence on car in june or july why did younot put it on hold then.no excuse you owe pay up and stop moaning

crzyhrse, Dec 1, 3:45am
Who is to say they even got a letter! I've checked my mailing address (a PO Box) with them a few times because I get nothing from them.

74nova, Dec 1, 4:52am
I dereged a car about 3-4 years ago, had reg owing but they (VTNZ) said if I hand in the plate (only had one, the car was long gone for scrap) they wave the outstanding rego fee, So it did.

a18a, Dec 1, 4:57am
why/how does a number plate make the outstanding fee go away!

olsod2, Dec 2, 4:29am
crazy. i understod (correct me if im wrong) to do a change of ownership you had to have a fiscal address not a p o box number.so that way can send out reminders also lets police find you

crzyhrse, Dec 2, 4:42am
There's a postal address as an option in addition to a physical address.

crzyhrse, Dec 2, 4:43am
It's discretionary. Clearly the vehicle is no longer being used. at least with THAT number plate.

countrypete, Dec 2, 7:11am
I paid it today after talking to VTNZ.It's not discretionary - maybe in theory, but not in practice.(and olsod I do have a fiscal address - it's called a bank)

magoo2, Apr 27, 3:08pm
why did the wreckers pay money to someone who was not the registered owner!