Needing a good tow 4x4 $4kish

skyline_guy_r34, Jan 24, 6:07am
Looking for a good towing truck/car whatever suits best. Will be towing a braked trailer with a racecar on it. Never needed anything like this for towing before so not really too clued up, all I do know is the turbo diesel 4x4s have plenty of torque and are supposed to tow well!

Dont really want to spend more than $4k on this vehicle as it really is only for towing. All Ive seen that looks good and might do the business is early hiluxes around 93-94 3.0L Turbo Diesel. And the mitsubishi pajero exceed with 3.5L petrol engine. Those 2 are nice looking wagons which i believe would tow well with the bigger engines.

Are there anything to look out for with these 2 4x4s!

Or alternatively could someone point me in another direction of a good towing vehicle.

Cheers Guys

andrea_w, Jan 24, 6:15am
That couldn't tow the skin off a rice pudding!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 6:19am
Perhaps not a Multipla, but there is a poster on here who Tows his racecar with a Ducato Common Rail and absolutely swears by it.

You are really pushing the envelope to get a Common Rail Ducato for the money but it might be worth keeping an eye out in case, likewise a Mercedes Sprinter.

You get much better economy and a lot more room, in fact room to sleep/cook etc if you want.

Anyhow, thats my 2C, its outside the box but worth a thought.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 6:20am
It just gets better!

skyline_guy_r34, Jan 24, 6:24am
Why would a falcon wagon be better than a 4x4 for towing! Im not really following that idea for some reason. Whats the commodore equivalent of the EB-EL! Id be happy if i can have a commodore wagon as a daily, and also as a tow wagon - But i dont see it doing the job very well.

craig04, Jan 24, 7:10am
No but apparently the Punto is a very underrated tow machine. Everyone knows that Multiplas are only good for carrying miniature horses.

craig04, Jan 24, 7:13am
Are you recommending a Hiace!

skyline_guy_r34, Jan 24, 7:29am
Id buy one of those ducato things if they wernt $12k. Find me one for $4k and if probably buy one.

franc123, Jan 24, 8:17am
You are going to get a newer one with less km's for any given amount of money, the actual towing capacity will be about the same, and do you really need 4x4 for towing on the road!No.Commodore wagons are simply not as good an option for that, the two biggest reasons being the coil sprung rear end which doesn't cope with differing loads as well as the leaf rear in the Falcon, and the fact that the Holden V6 has ALWAYS lacked the torque that the 4.0L straight six delivers.But horses for courses.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 24, 8:21am
All I am saying is keep an eye out just in case. There was a new shape 2.8 that went for under 4K a little while ago. You are probably right in that one won't come up again in time. but no harm in keeping an eye out. Especially at Turners as they have them regually as well.

It would be mean having room to set up a Kitchen/Bed and have room for Toolbox's spares etc. They actually fly along really well even when loaded and towing too, you would be quite amazed.

skyline_guy_r34, Jan 25, 2:31am
Just not keen to have a Ford thats all. Infact I just simply wont buy a ford unless its a mustang.

So is a vr/vs or vt holden commodore sedan going to be good enough to tow a racecar on a braked trailer! Like ive said Ive never towed anything before (apart from loads of stuff to the dump).

I have no idea if a commodore is heavy enough to pull 1.5ish tonne! Or how towing changes with a braked trailer as opposed to a non braked trailer.

I would like to have a commodore instead of a 4x4 as my tow vehicle, but at what cost towing wise or safety wise!

camerong1, Jan 25, 3:37am
I am no expert but I think you should be fine with a holden. My parents tow there 20ft boat on a sv6 and the boat is about 2ton loaded

chopssuzi, Jan 25, 8:58am
I would look for a late 80's Diesel 6cyl 60 series landcruiser! Not going to break any speed records but dam relaiable and capable tow wagon!

zephyrheaven, Jan 25, 9:05am
get a discovery! *Nudge Wink Ahem

chris_051, Jan 25, 9:07am
Standard the Commodore is rated to 1.6t and with the towing option from new, 2.2t, so 1.5 tonne should be fine. I've had over 2t behind my 6 cylinder Falcon and it did it piece of piss. I'd say the Holdens would be the same. The Commodores have slightly shorter gearing than the Falcons to make up for the (quite big) torque difference, even a 15 y/o EF Coon has more torque (on paper) than a new SIDI VE lol.

rocketman27, Jan 25, 9:38am
nissan safari 4.2td.will do any job you throw at it

skyline_guy_r34, Feb 4, 9:17am
Have seen yours but your way down south. Ive still got to sell my SS Commodore before I get the tow vehicle. If I can get away with a using a commodore ill definately buy one.