Airbag replacement at 15 years, dealers will love

Page 2 / 2
mugenb20b, Dec 3, 9:22am
Hmmm.strange.all I got was a slap on a face and a black eye.

foxdonut, Dec 3, 9:33am
No, they don't. Once the warranty is out, the car is essentially scrap. A dealer only needs to sell a used car that has a WOF, after that its your problem. There's plenty of shit in cars that periodically _should_ be replaced and isn't because people either don't know about it or don't care / don't want to spend the money.

As it now happens one of those consumables is an airbag.

Anyway, what do you propose happens if "Foxdonuts used Toyota, Honda and Lotus cars" has an Audi A4 as a trade in and wants to sell it on the lot does! Its not normally an Audi "dealership" and has no association with the brand, why would it be expected to replace an airbag in a car it doesn't carry normally!

out of factory warranty / used car dealers don't tend to look at 10 year old cars and arbitrarily replace 02 sensors, cats, steering bushes, pollen filters or spark plugs, but these are all serviceable items as well.

gunhand, Dec 3, 8:47pm
out of factory warranty / used car dealers don't tend to look at 10 year old cars and arbitrarily replace 02 sensors, cats, steering bushes, pollen filters or spark plugs, but these are all serviceable items as well.

foxdonut (8 )10:33 pm, Sat 3 Dec #27

Oh I fully understand what your saying. BUT O2 sensors, cats, pollen filters and spark plugs are not a safety item.Steering bushes could well be.
SO what you are saying is, You may be looking for a small run about for your 18yo daughter andher baby to run around in and you find a 94 95 car in a yard that suits the needs for the right price. You have it checked and fiind the steering bushes are stuffed. Do you ask the dealer to replace them or say, she'll be right its a consumable item mate ill repair it at my cost. Or perhaps neggotiate a better price and come to an aggreement that you will do it. However they would be warrent item wouldnt they! and the car must have a currentwarrent.
Also if while checking the car out you find the air bag is beyound the manufactures recommened time, then what what you do! Interesting question I think.
Walk away and buy a more expensive later car! Which in this senario is out of you price range.
To me this is an interesting problem, which may also affect your trade as well.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 9:53pm
HMM--you actually have a good point there GH.
But then where does the onus lie when dealing with 15 year old cars!
Ie with the dealer or the safety testing organisation that for a moment in time says its safe to be on the road, (gives it a WOF)

kazbanz, Dec 3, 10:03pm
Actually this opens up a whole can o worms. What part of an airbag has a limited lifespan and is that part serviceable/replaceable!
Im kinda thinking that the bag itself isn't the issue.but the explosive charge may well be
I don't know if anyone has ever removed an airbag but on the whole the drivers bag is pretty simple/easy to remove and gain access to the back of. Ive never looked deeper but it would be interesting.
kinda cool to be able to upgrade the bags from the old fast deploy to the newer slower deploy bags (we are talking fractions of a second)
The indash passenger bag would be a mare and the in car seat bags equally

franc123, Dec 3, 10:05pm
Before this thread goes any further, here are some things to chew over:

Does anyone have any evidence that a 15yo airbag is less likely to deploy than a new one because of POSSIBLE deterioration of the propellant, which is the reason given for why they should be replaced!Or any local or overseas data that shows that there have been crashes where bags have not deployed, or deployed properly because of age!Or can list any countries where airbag replacement is compulsory at 15 years!Or explain why NZTA actually allow airbags to be removed or disabled if the owner so wishes and an LVV cert obtained stating so if they are so essential to our safety!

gunhand, Dec 3, 10:09pm
No idea. I just read in the owners manual of a car that the air bag should be replaced at 15 years and it got me thinking.Geez yanky lawyers would love it as well. Imagine the court cases. Mind you they carry neck braces in there just in case lol.

unbeatabull, Dec 3, 10:58pm
Just on the topic, the newest Ford Focuses at work we have just got in have now got Airbag replacement in the service schedule booklets for every 15 years . From memory first Ford I've worked on that has that in the actual service schedule

pup2, Dec 4, 3:10am
Would have to think Ford are playing a pretty safe game there. 15years. The Focus has to make it to 15years 1st.

petermcg, Dec 4, 8:46am
How would any one know if you had had them replaced or not. Could you not say you had them done at 14 years.

gunhand, Dec 4, 8:49am
They will most likely have a date on them, but would you look!

wasser61, Dec 4, 12:11pm
There are Fords out there with Airbags that are over 15 years already

pup2, Dec 4, 6:30pm
i was a bit miss leading, i'm talking about the new stuff rolling out the factory at present. All manufactures have gone over board with the amount of tech going into their cars. If new cars are having issues within a couple of years, how are they expected to last 15.

fordcrzy, Dec 4, 6:57pm
its just to cover thier ass.
manufacturers have no idea what the plastic will be like or state of thepropellant after that amount of time.what if a dash cover became brittle and hurt someone in deployment! etc etc.
i was recently in a VS commodore where the passengers dash cover was all curlEd up fr6m the sun. How would it deploy in an accident is anyones guess.

pup2, Dec 4, 8:36pm
Good call. never thought of that

rob_man, May 2, 11:43am
Nice scenario, shards of sun hardened plastic heading towards the wide open eyes of a front seat passenger.