Mitsubishi Galant Problem,

snj11, Dec 4, 5:44am
1992 Mitsi Galant, 2.0 V6, Auto, has an isssue, sometimes wont start, when it does it runs rough and wont rev well, cough and splutters.I got it like this for something to play with, the old owner thought it was stuffed fuel pump.thoughts before i pull it out!

n3d4sp3d, Dec 4, 6:23am
what is the condition of spark plugs leads and fuel filter. has cam belt been done recently!

sheepey, Dec 4, 6:24am
Clean out throttle body.

snj11, Dec 4, 7:31am
ok, all things i will now take a look at, thanks for your help so far

flybye_in_a_rx7, Dec 4, 7:54am
mine started fine but ran rough when cold. changed the distributor cap and fixed it. sounds like u have a diff problem though

m16d, Dec 4, 7:58am
Before you start ripping things apart, take a look at the air filter.

snj11, Dec 4, 8:44am
cheers will do

dasfi, Dec 4, 8:56am
mine had the same prob, i replaced the whole dizzy as it happend to be one of the sensors inside it, was fine after that, mine was an 1800cc v6, try that should work

phillip.weston, Dec 4, 9:10am
usually the dizzy fault is not starting up at all or cutting out completely, and when it does run it runs fine and smooth until it cuts out again. Like an on and off switch almost. I would be looking at the dizzy cap and rotor anyway as I had a similar rough running fault with my 6A13 SOHC engine.

wilgil, Dec 4, 7:17pm
If there has been any water near the engine the rear sparkplugs may be playing up. This used to happen to my wife's V6 Galant - it's a pain to remove the intake manifold, but while you're there, why not give everything a good clean out and replace the plugs!

mrfxit, Dec 4, 7:53pm
Yep as above.

Plugs
Leads
Strip & clean inlet manifold

See what happens after that.
Certainly won't hurt to do the above & probably needs doing anyway.

snj11, Dec 6, 7:09am
UPDATE - thanks for all the advise guys, turns out it was the crank angle sensor that was the problem, got it scanned today as got sick of doing it the slow way ruling out the options

phillip.weston, Dec 6, 11:00am
nice! I had the crank sensor go crook on a 1600cc V6 Mirage also - unfortunately you have to remove the timing covers to gain access to the sensor - on the SOHC engine it's not too difficult.

mbmadman, Dec 7, 5:47am
Its a mitsi. theres your problem LOL