Question for mechanic or man.Nissan Terrano

Page 1 / 2
jambee1, May 21, 5:07am
Nissan Terrano WIDE BODY - ROUND DASH 1995

what would be a fair price for this type of vehicle please! I am trying to buy a new 4x4 since my 1 was wiped out in the earthquake.being a woman I am finding this whole buying a vehicle a nightmare!

any info or comments appreciated .

jambee1, May 21, 5:30am
bugger.no one knows

mugenb20b, May 21, 5:37am
You need to give us more than 23 minutes to answer your question. Is the vehicle petrol or diesel!

mugenb20b, May 21, 5:42am
Automatic transmissions need regular servicing. Manual gearboxes are weak. The Terrano you're looking at, is it the square shape body or the rounder one (PR50 chassis)!

jambee1, May 21, 5:52am
Sorry.I should be more patient.its petrol and square shape.thanks

jambee1, May 21, 6:02am
bob1120.well anyone that is on here thats mechanic-male or female.or a male coz generally speaking men have more of a knowledge about cars than women.if I asked my girlfriends about a vehicle I was considering buying they would generally ask "what color"!

My hubby passed on a few years ago so I dont have him here to help me out

jambee1, May 21, 6:22am
thanks everyone- LOL
will take anything thru the testing station or the AA testing

bigracket, May 21, 6:35am
Ha ha ha ha, sad but kinda true!

mrfxit, May 21, 6:37am
Better question to start with is .WHY . do you need something that big!

pico42, May 21, 6:46am
Not sure if the model you are looking at is one of them, but some terranos were very susceptible to rust under the rear seats. A critical problem and and expensive one to repair.

Would pay to check.

nzmoxie, May 21, 6:50am
This is true, for WD21 model pre1994

sir-ben, May 21, 7:06am
go to the local garage (not franchise) and say to them "i need someone knowledgeable to come and check out a car" can i pay hourly rate for a mechanic to come and look! or ask the seller to take the vehicle to your trusted garage let them check it over.

jambee1, May 21, 7:50am
thanks everyone .will do :)

franc123, May 21, 8:36am
jambee1 wrote:
bob1120.well-
anyone that is on here thats mechanic-male or female.or a male coz generally speaking men have more of a knowledge about cars than women.if I asked my girlfriends about a vehicle I was considering buying they would generally ask "what color"!

My hubby passed on a few years ago so I dont have him here to help me out[/quote0]

LOL I wouldn't count on it, there are just as many mechanically illiterate men out there as women.The best way to get an idea of value would be to look at some of the expired auctions on here and see what they've been selling for, these are of course the actual sale prices.Yes I'd agree with getting a garage with a good rep to check it over, good luck.

nzmoxie, May 21, 8:54am
Hi jambie1 if that is the vehicle (auction 373401338), just double check on the rubber/ seal on the sunroof. It may have crack or dead rubber for 15 yrs old, especially locate on the roof.
Not very common for this series model with sunroof may be hard to get a spare/replacement.

mel_nz26, May 21, 10:05am
Its petrol has no turbo will be a slug, costs and costs in maintenance especially if used for towing.+

jambee1, May 22, 6:18am
yeah I did look at that 373401338 but its not right when it changes gear.even to me.otherwise it was a nice vehicle

and yep its petrol.the other was a terrano diesel 1992 again nice but when idling just about shook my arms off.

yendor, May 22, 7:24am
Why do so many women "need" a 4x4!

jambee1, May 23, 1:47am
I dont know . lol
I tow double horse float and find sitting higher up than the holden car gives me more vision when reversing. Also when travelling up paddocks, 4wd can come in handy during winter.good old work horse really

crzyhrse, May 23, 1:50am
Mechanic or man. I didn't realise the two were mutually exclusive.

guider1, May 23, 3:12am
I know what you're saying jambee1. my ex had a VT wagon to tow her float & it really was useless as soon as winter rolled around.
I had a '90 Terrano, 2.7 turbo diesel, auto; a while back. It was a good old workhorse even at 290000km, it eventually died of overheating due to blown headgasket, but up until then it was a good wagon.
Yes they do rust around the rear safety belt mounts so get that checked. Mine did so I removed the rear seats & belts (which didnt worry me as they were normally laying down anyway) & got it's description on the computer changed to a 2 seater, which is perfectly legal. It saved paying a panelbeater a hefty sum of $2500 for the repair & repair cert.

anarky, May 23, 4:12am
the Nissan Terranos are as most Nissans reliable as buggery,but the petrol one will be hungry as hell on fuel,I would go for the 2.7 turbo diesel.
Other options would be a Toyota surf with the 1kzte 3 litre turbo diesel, but u will find these are a wee bit more sort after= a bit more expensive, also a awd toyota hiace van with the same motor, could also work for u

jambee1, May 23, 7:46am
thanks guider1 and anarky-really appreciate those pointers

normal helpful advice-cheers

jambee1, May 23, 7:52am
Can you tell me anything about the 2.4 Diesel auto Toyota Hilux. its 1993 with 250 000 on clock

pge, May 23, 8:01am
Driven sensibly, petrol Terranos are as thirsty as a V6 Commodore.

Both do between 10.5-12.5 L/100Km.

And, yes, I HAVE owned a Terrano (for 5 years), and, yes, I DO HAVE a VN wagon now.

OP, do NOT let the anti-4x4 types put you off, as far as the NZTA is concerned, they are regarded as a station wagon.

I would suggest to go for as late as possible, given your budget constraints.

Good luck