Problem with EB Falcon not firing

Page 2 / 2
nave12, Sep 16, 3:39am
Under the heading "The workshop" there is a sub heading saying "ford 6's" go into there and also go to "Falcons" and the sub heading to go into there is "post classic".

mrfxit, Sep 16, 4:06am
thanks for that.
Just a couple of small-ish problems

1: He's an "old school Ford man" = pretty much makes him a technophobic.
2: there IS a computer in the house but the wife pays for the BB & therefor has jointly (her & daughter) assigned the computer to their daughters control.

Anyways, yep thanks, think I will look in to that site myself later tonight.

gypsy61, Sep 16, 4:19am
We had trouble with not fireing and replaced all of the spark plugs.Made no difference.Ended up being 1 shagged spark plug lead.Replaced that and its been sweet ever since.That was a 19.93 Fairmont.Hope that might help!

mellisa2000, Sep 16, 10:44am
NOT BACK TO SQ.1!

You have to reset KAM (keep Alive Memory).
Turn all accessories off - A/C etc.
Then,

Step 1.KOEO, put foot on accel. to floor and hold for more than 1 min. flat to the boards.

Step 2. Then release accel. and start and run, put in drive, foot on brake for more than 1 min.

If the idle speed it too low at this point to run, wind the idle screw in slightly to idle at around 800/850rpm, disconnect battery for a couple of mins. and repeat steps 1 and 2.
Then if possible go for a drive for a few minutes if you can get it to run OK, then reset idle to about 575-625rpm.
This resets base idle and full throttle position for ECU relearn.
If you don't do any of the steps above but it will run, go for a drive for about 1/2 an hour, the ECU will relearn. Punch it a few times, let it idle a bit, vary loads and conditions then some steady driving.
HOPEfully, all is ok.

mrfxit, Sep 19, 5:12am
Ok, he did the KAM setup & still wouldn't start
Put the battery back in it this afternoon & tried starting by long-ish (6 to 10 turnovers) cranking periods with no result.
Tried short cranking (2 turns) & it fired up ok.
Took it for a run down the motorway & it was running fine till he had to stop on an off ramp for traffic when it died, but started ok again with short cranking.

Any more pointers!

(short cranking was how I got it running last time)

kevin16, Sep 19, 6:52am
fix the ign switch,.

mrfxit, Sep 19, 7:20am
LOL umm yea, got to get the stinking thing down here first.

Thinking that MAY be a consideration worth looking at .
Altho thats a "dead or alive" fault & not a "won't fire fault"
Seeing as it's still got spark & petrol.

Nephew was (oddly enough) busy telling me about his v8 vk commy thats doing the same exact trick, very odd considering I hadn't spoken to him about the coon

mellisa2000, Sep 19, 8:10am
Seems like it's firing on short cranking and flooding on long cranking, electrical issue I'd say. I would also be very tempted to discard the battery and fit a new one. I wonder though, has a dizzy swap been tried. The TFI module on the side of the dizzy could be playing up, common enough on that model. Swap a dizzy with module and Hall Effect sensor.

mrfxit, Sep 19, 8:28am
6 month old battery of the correct spec for that model (AA aproved apparently)
Not currently viable to swap parts over that we would have to buy just to (possibly) prove a point or not . . .
Yea it's a pain I know & it's the sort of thing swapping parts about that I would have done a few years ago gladly but I don't have access to spare parts these days.

mrfxit, Sep 19, 8:30am
Yea electrical for sure but . mmmmmm
Blinkin thing has had a few electrical problems over the years but when it's running properly . it's a freak on economy with plenty of GO!

mrfxit, Oct 9, 8:04am
Small update.
Managed to find another muffler assembly & went to jaffaland to fit it.
Car is now randomly starting without any intervention from me or him.
What I did notice was that what appeared to be back firing is NOT, it's the motorturning backwards a few inches.

I got him to try & start it & when constantly tuning it over & with short stabs on the starter , it wouldn't respond untill JUST as you released the key when it would randomly sound like it was back firing.
At that moment of releasing the key, the motor would randomly chuff backwards a few notchs as if the timing was way out, (by watching the fan belt).

Bearing in mind that up to the last night it was running properly, there was no sign of any trouble.
If you gave it short stabs on the starter

Been over all the plus /leads/ connectors again & nothing has made any difference.
He's not in a good position financially but is going to ring around the local garages again to see who can look at it with a diagnostics tool

mrfxit, Oct 9, 8:07am
Current battery is only 6 months old & makes no difference with a big jumper battery connected.
Also redid the comp reset from scratch again.

Anyone got a spare dizzy & coil!

meathead_timaru, Oct 9, 11:38pm
Got a photo!

meathead_timaru, Oct 9, 11:54pm
BTW with this I'd be looking first at fuel, namely the pump and filter. Flow and pressure.

mrfxit, Oct 10, 12:02am
Pump is clearly running & stopping at max pressure (koeo)
After a few attempts to start, will STINK of raw petrol.
Unfortunitly I don't have any way of testing the electronics or pump pressure.
Have been over all connections/ cables/hosesetc within the engine bay & nothing showing there as suspect.
Has a bright white spark even in direct bright sunlight.
New plugs
6mth battery

mrfxit, Oct 10, 12:08am
LOL, Ummm yea. photo .

Dizzy sits between & under the front 2 inlet mainfold pipes
Coil sits under & between #4 & #5 pipes

Same model engine is this photo (not specificly his)
http://www.wep.co.nz/wep/member-images/32/image/EB_head.jpg http://img7.imageshack.us/i/simonandelkeswedding023.jpg/

meathead_timaru, Dec 22, 6:40am
It doesn't stop on pressure - it stops on timer.