Nissan ceffiro alternator.belt

milkybar4, Dec 8, 3:46am
hi, so i was told a fortnight or so when getting wof check that i need new alternator/power steering belt. havnt yet had it done due to work/money.
anyway, thismorning car stalled when i started it which is not uncommon but it wouldnt start again,
i few hours later i tried again and it started but got down the road and temp gage almost on hot.
i've taken it to mechanic, but i see on net this belt can be AC aswell. is this true! i mean could it have broken and that's my prob! wouldnt i have noticed.
also just got petrol and there was no water in car (and yes i do check it) and would have thought the oil changers would have checked/filled it anyway.wouldnt they!
bit strange. filled it up anyway but still overheated.
anyone know what this is. dont wanna get ripped by mechanic since i dunno what it is they might say it's a $600 jobby when it's not.
cheers for any help ; )

twink19, Dec 8, 4:45am
if belt came off, then it would over heat if belt drives water pump as well, it could be costly if engine damaged

a.woodrow, Dec 8, 4:48am
the good news is you've saved yourself $60 by not replacing the worn belt.

milkybar4, Dec 8, 6:07am
aye! well if i'd had the money i woulda done it. was gonna do it today anyway, was waiting for pay day. wof shop said i had a few weeks or so or longer. yes yes i know shoulda got it done.

milkybar4, Dec 8, 6:10am
dont think engine be damaged, hopefully, cause this is the first day this has happened and only for 20 mins while i found a mechanic. here's hoping!

girlracer2005, Dec 8, 7:25am
what model cefiro

milkybar4, Dec 8, 8:04am
supertourer, 94

milkybar4, Dec 8, 8:05am
it's done a few kms - 212000 but has been serviced by me and other owners. well oil changes anyway all the rest they charge for i do myself

thunderbolt, Dec 8, 8:20am
You service it yourself but dont know where the alternator belt is!

girlracer2005, Dec 8, 9:06am
waterpump is chain driven if its a v6 so the overheat maybe to do with other things then the belt been shot

franc123, Dec 8, 9:14am
You need to find out where the coolant has disappeared to before going much further.If the alternator belt had snapped or otherwise come off the battery light would have come on and stayed on.

milkybar4, Dec 9, 8:25am
got it fixed. was a hole in the radiator pipe so water/coolent had leaked out. now fixed and flushed, also belt replaced.: )

thewomble1, Dec 9, 9:02am
oil changers change the oil not the water