Any good points about a triumph 2500tc!

Page 1 / 5
ginga4lyfe, Jan 26, 8:10pm
I know they dont have exactly the best fuel economy, but a decently sized bonnet area, What are these like as a daily driver in General! Iv been offered one with a near to dead clutch for 500 bucks, and am wandering if its worth the hassle!

lovemore_mbigi, Jan 26, 8:15pm
Depends on condition.A pre-loved example that you intend to keep maintained will give you years of comfortable, zero-depreciation motoring.Low maintenance costs and really easy DIY are huge pluses.Parts are readily available locally and from the UK.

fiatracer, Jan 26, 8:18pm
with the possible exception of the PI, they were all slow by modern standards. Heavy to drive, especially without power steer. OK handling, lots of potential for improvements. Not a bad old barge, a cut above other stuff of the day. Thirsty.

trogedon, Jan 26, 8:23pm
Well looked after ones interiors smell nice ;-)(does that count!)

ginga4lyfe, Jan 26, 8:23pm
yeah, not too sure about the 22mpg idea, otherwise it is Pre loved and cared for, pretty much ZERO rust too, its a idea. although not likley to happen that i may find a RB20 to replace the engine, or even a holden/buick 3.8, it already being manual may help :)

trogedon, Jan 26, 8:26pm
Do the clutch (lots of bolts but its a straightforward job), tidy it up and sell it. Engine swap.only for the seriously deranged.

ginga4lyfe, Jan 26, 8:27pm
im finding out the clutch kits price now haha

fiatracer, Jan 26, 8:33pm
I remember one [and have a pic somehwere] that had a Buick V6. then a V8 i think, then ended up. shortened, made 2 door, and fitted with.a.-
. ROTARY

elvis58, Jan 26, 8:49pm
There's not many left:)

ginga4lyfe, Jan 26, 8:51pm
ok i can get a clutch kit for 250 bucks brand new, which is fair, but, I just though t of something else, when do cars fall into the "classic" registration field! at 40 years! this 2500tc is only 34 years :P It may just be worth keeping it for a while as an appreciating classic!

rod525, Jan 26, 8:53pm
Pig of a car, even if it was free I'd walk away.

bigjerry, Jan 26, 8:56pm
finnaly some sense in this thread

ginga4lyfe, Jan 26, 9:22pm
BAGH its INTOLLERABLE. I just wunna have a dig at you bigjerry. Pink Bambina and all. , but i do appreciate all forms of opinion, though I would rather like a little more detail than " pig of a car" because. there are alot of that type of car, I already know that MPG and rust are 2 issues, and they are not fast. But im just after a run about that will get me around Auckland do the odd long trip and wont be stolen haha

thejazzpianoma, Jan 26, 9:32pm
Ginga, so long as the clutch is all it needs to be legal and roadworthy you really can't lose. To be honest they are not my cup of tea but I can see that at $250 plus some free labour you are not going to lose math wise. even if you decide you don't like it and give it the flick.

Give it a go. life is all about experiencing different things. Besides, it sounds like you are itching to get your hands on it which generally means its likely to be a bit of fun for you.

rod525, Jan 26, 9:33pm
I did my aprenticeship at Motorcorp NZ in the early 80's and worked there for a total of six long years. We were the agents for Triumph, Rover BMC and Honda. All the British cars had crap engineering, reliabilty and were shit to work on then and now.

the_chooky, Jan 26, 9:54pm
Dont remember the clutch as being easy to change.
There's about a hundred bolts on the bell housing and some of the top ones you cant get at without lowering the motor.

Was a good car in its day but not now.

ginga4lyfe, Jan 26, 9:57pm
hahah, then you would say the same about a mk3 Morris Marina! I had one and regretted selling that, now its a BIIIIAAARCh to get another, yeah i do like messing about with cars, its just . I have already had more cars than alot of people i know.haha, i guess its a curse of curiosity

pfemstn, Jan 26, 10:39pm
$500 would be top dollar, as the clutch is not easy to do on those. and good running ones can be found very cheaply! most of them are quite tired in the engine by now!

fiatracer, Jan 26, 11:54pm
EXACTLY! and remember that for young guys, these are really old cars a mile away from the normal stuff they'll have been raised on. Sheesh, even cordias and stuff are considered "Old Skool" by some, so GO FOR IT and I applaud you for wanting to check out something different but still reasonably sensible

doug207, Jan 27, 12:02am
Throw a Rover 3500/Buick 215 in it. Find a Rover bell housing and you are away laughing at 16mpg.
I have a soft spot for the 2500tc/pi, grouse looking machine and a comfy ride. I'd take a P6B over one, but, at 500, who cares!

ginga4lyfe, Jan 27, 12:03am
Thanks , Though Id still rather spend money on a decentish x1/9 liek the one mal wanted to sell me, just too bad i got no way to get one to auckland for nothing ahaha

richardmayes, Jan 27, 12:33am
Those of us who have actually driven them, love driving them!

You can feel what the front wheels are doing through your fingertips, and you can feel what the rear wheels are doing through the seat of your pants. After a while you can tell how fast you are going by listening to the roar of the engine and the whistling of the wind around the doors. So as a toy they are great fun, although not really very comfortable for summer holiday travelling.

Fuel consumption is about the same as a modern V6, performance is not amazing but enough to keep up with Auckland traffic, and you can drive fast in them if you are reasonably skilled. There is no huge acceleration, but once you are up to speed they ride and handle nicely enough as long as the shocks are good.

(it's especially fun to hang on behind XR6 Falcons and the likes, owners of these sorts of cars don't like seeing an English classic in their mirrors and they will drive faster and faster to try to shake you, until the missus gives him a slap and he slows back down, at which point you pass him.)

Electric overdrive on the gearbox will cause grief sooner or later if it has one.

Power steering is expensive to overhaul if it has one.

Look for rust anywhere around the bottom of the body.

Keep under a car cover if you don't have a garage, as the bodies are not very waterproof and the weather deteriorates them rapidly.

ginga4lyfe, Jan 27, 12:38am
haha, thanks for that and the advice, the only known rust is a little bit of drivers door rust, easily fixable, but ill do a thorough examilation

hydraline, Jan 27, 1:00am
Good car! Cheap enough and it is not going to depreciate to scrap value like a japper

hobby., Jan 27, 2:37am
I had one of these once and I can honestly say that in 55 years of driving and owning cars it was the WORST and most expensive car I have ever owned