Dumb question, Small block, big block

Page 2 / 2
bigracket, Feb 3, 6:48am
Its got to be a v8. Its going to be a long term thing due to finance but hey I cant see the point unless its got a v8 in it.my everyday car is a stagea, all the rb I need lol

bigracket, Feb 3, 6:50am
Cool so sounds like 308 is the way to go then.

bendean, Feb 3, 6:54am
yea fair enuf if you already got an rb du sumin different a wot about a rota! hah

bigracket, Feb 3, 6:56am
You know for some strange reason a rota never crossed my mind.

bendean, Feb 3, 6:58am
there was a commodore made that came out with a rotary limited numbers theas 1 in rotarua i dont know much of it maybe someone duz!

wrong2, Feb 3, 7:00am
small blocks come in 7.0 liters too you know

phillip.weston, Feb 3, 7:07am
not Commodore, you are thinking of HZ Premier, released as the Mazda Roadpacer with a rotary and automatic transmission. Obviously it didn't do very well.

bendean, Feb 3, 7:08am
thats the one

wrong2, Feb 3, 7:09am
yeah the 202 was fuel injected from factory!

with an aftermarket head & cam & extractors you have the equal to a V8

marcos1, Feb 3, 7:43am
If it ever does,. you do know we will have to have you put down!

bigjerry, Feb 3, 7:45am
308 dude. well priced, common as, a nice fit. job done.

NZTools, Feb 3, 7:56am
Go for a later injected 304. Nice and easy to fit, and a whole lot better than a 308.
Small block chevs dont work well in a VK engine bay due to the location of the starter motor and oil pump.

pnh4, Feb 3, 8:05am
Go a 253 or 308 (resale value would be good) if you didnt fab' a thing. All the conversion bits can be bought off the shelf, even the exhaust system, which would be the dearest item bar the engine itself. A big mission selling but if its done right should sell itself, or just keep for keeps.

tshop, Feb 3, 8:21am
Why are you crying!

neville48, Feb 3, 8:32am
Mate.if you've owned this car for so long and its obviously yur pride and joy and you put a late model type injected V8 in it then you will run with the ordinary people. make a statement and go for a big block chevy with extra cubes,520 at least,lots of trim,heaps sticking out of the bonnet,when you rev it.people take notice,babies cry,dogs run for it.any little wizz bang wrx can leave you for pooh anyway but who gets noticed,its a 100km world anyway,be different.

quickstitch, Feb 3, 9:58am
from an old school ford fan. a smalll block has a 4 inch bore, a big block hasbigger bore. usually a small block is 350 (or 351 in fords case) cubic inches or smaller. but then chev made a 400 inch small block that stuffed things up.

quickstitch, Feb 3, 10:07am
but then again, the 400 small block was a lemon. paper thin bores with overheating issues.

extrayda, Feb 3, 10:07am
wasn't the Ford 400m a small block too.

extrayda, Feb 3, 10:08am
And as above, if you do go V8, I'd go 308 (stroke it if you really need extra cubes!) - easier conversion as they had it as an option.

pnh4, Feb 3, 10:14am
As my above suggestion stroked then go to a replica which is still an off the shelf car, you could even get the interior bits. ahh the beauty of the mainstream G.M stands for Got M in retailers lingo.

bigracket, Feb 3, 1:03pm
Love it but not into cutting holes in the bonnet

bigracket, Mar 7, 7:40am
Really, ill never ever sell this car, I want it to go well, but be nice to drive, This is something ive always wanted to do to my Holden. Want it to look standard but have a fair bit more than the tired 202. I have started getting some bits together, 3 core radiator, V8 bracket (that the mounts are attached to. Looks like 308 is the sensible option! what box do you guys think! as its a factory manual id like to keep it like that if possible. Im lucky enough to have been given 20 meters of the original interior cloth, so will re-trim it all as factory. Thank you all for your ideas, most helpful to run things past a few people.