Cambelt Toyota Dyna 3L engine

Page 1 / 2
jmma, Jan 27, 7:26am
Did the cambelt on my truck today, 3L deisel motor, when I started it, it sounded like all the tappets were noisy, drove home OK, it sounded quite before, any ideas

jasongroves, Jan 27, 7:29am
Idling and running OK!
Maybe 1 tooth out, or timing or torque issue!

jmma, Jan 27, 7:36am
Idling smooth and running OK, thought about tooth out but still couldnt get it in my head why it would sound like noisey tappets

jasongroves, Jan 27, 7:42am
Could just be a coincidence that the lifters are noisy and need adjusting.
If you want to check them, clearances are:
Inlet - 0.25mm cold
Exhaust - 0.45mm cold.

jmma, Jan 27, 7:45am
Yes I was going to do that, thinking maybe Im just hearing something I wasn't noticing before, thanks for the input

jasongroves, Jan 27, 7:48am
Depending on the KMs, you may wanna go for a 20w-50 oil, which is the thickest recommended.

jmma, Jan 27, 7:52am
300,000 only a baby, doing oil change and filters tommorrow, let you know how it sounds then, thanks again

jasongroves, Jan 27, 7:54am
No worries. If you need any other specs for lube, torque settings etc etc yell out.

jmma, Jan 27, 9:38am
Just went out and started the truck, sounds good now, just thinking that maybe with all the bashing, I know not the correct way, to get the bottom pulley off, I might have shaken some crap off the cam cover, makes me think oil change most important, maybe a flush first.

jasongroves, Jan 27, 9:41am
I wouldn't flush it, not with engine flush in a can anyway.
It loosens up all the gunk and just shifts a lot of it around, sometimes to places that just make more issues.
I normally flush with a really cheap oil.
Or just take it for a really good run, and change as normal.

jmma, Jan 27, 9:46am
Ok I'm hearing what you are saying, been awhile since I've worked on vehicles, Yes I'll just get it nice and warm first so I can burn my hand when I take the sump plug out (o:

jasongroves, Jan 27, 9:51am
Yep, did that myself yesterday. A litre of burning hot oil on your hand wakes you up pretty quick. Beer tastes very good afterwards though.strange.

jrlaw, Jan 28, 4:09am
Also bad news when the drain plug drops into the funnel that gathers the oil to steer it into the oil drain tin.Oil all over the floor.Do not forget to refit the bung before you add new oil, that also makes a big mess.
There is nothing that has not been done before.!

jsbike, Jan 28, 4:11am
losen the oil filter a little before you warm up the motor, far easier to grab a cold filter than a burny hot one.

jmma, Jan 28, 9:17am
Well I was wrong last night, it is quiet at idle but when I rev it sounds like really loose tappets, guess it must be a tooth out on the injector pump, cant see the cam or crank moving, just cant get my head around whats making it sound like that. Before I changed the belt it was quiet all the time, still has the power and idles smoothly.

jmma, Jan 31, 9:24am
Going to pull it all apart tommorrow and check timing marks, anybody have a guess at the tapping noise, could it be the injectors because the injector timing might be out!

incar., Jan 31, 9:35am
maybe

mechnificent, Jan 31, 10:58am
Did you run the belt then readjust it!

jmma, Feb 1, 7:19am
Didnt get time to do it today, why would you run it then take it all apart to reajust it, never done that.

bigfatmat1, Feb 1, 7:41am
turn it by hand a couple of revs so its all seated is probly what he means

did ya take all ya tools out no sockets stuck on nuts lol

jmma, Feb 1, 7:48am
No, I'm careful with all my tools (o:

jmma, Feb 3, 8:28am
Well, I did it today, stripped it back down and yes cam timing out 1 tooth. Sounds real good now, not like a sewing machine. Thanks for the advice

intrade, Feb 3, 7:18pm
always pays to check 2 times its why you turn the engine over by hand 2 times to see if the markings ligne up still.

ct9a, Feb 3, 7:22pm
sounds like injector pump timing

mechnificent, Feb 4, 8:00am
They always need retightening after five minutes running.

If you start them up without the covers and run them at a certain rev you will see the belt start to flex and flap on one of the long spans. If you keep an eye on how far from straight it flicks to you will notice that over the course of a minute or two it stabilises and that is when the initial stretch has come out of the belt. Then you retighten it and assemble the rest of it.