Reverse Lights

Page 2 / 2
pup2, Dec 14, 4:41am
Did. #7 It says they should still work if on manual switch when headlights switched on.

crzyhrse, Dec 14, 4:43am
No, it doesn't say that. It says "A reversing lamp may operate only when the reverse gear is engaged OR the headlamps are turned off." That's OR not AND.

crzyhrse, Dec 14, 4:45am
Also, under REASONS FOR REJECTION 7. states "A lamp controlled by a manual switch continues to display a light to the rear while the headlamps are switched on.".

pup2, Dec 14, 4:46am
Yea, know what ya mean, a lot less traffic down here and my 3y old rides her bike on the foot path, always telling her to be VERY careful of driveways

elshaun, Dec 14, 4:47am
Just had a AVI refresher course and this was covered.Reverse lamps are a permitted item, not a mandatory item.So, you do not have to have reverse lamps BUT if they are fitted (as a permitted item) then they must operate as per legislation!

richard198, Dec 14, 4:49am
I had a fail from a WOF station today because the engine was "leaking oil onto the exhaust pipe".
When I took it into a workshop to have the engine steam cleaned, they said there was no oil leaking onto the exhaust pipe!
We can't win!

crzyhrse, Dec 14, 4:49am
They use BOTH. But the the two are exclusive. It's just your lack of comprehension!

richard198, Dec 14, 4:50am
Unfortunately, the above official document doesn't actually say that!
Perhaps they need a new technical writer!

crzyhrse, Dec 14, 4:51am
Ah, so you've worked it out now!

msigg, Dec 14, 4:51am
mudgenb20 is correct. Good work.

pup2, Dec 14, 4:52am
lol, i should have paid more attention to the heading. Guessing saying they must be switched independent of the lights would be a more simple way of putting it.

crzyhrse, Dec 14, 4:53am
More like the refresher needs a refresher.

crzyhrse, Dec 14, 4:54am
Not quite. They're dependant on the headlamps if manually switched because they must not operate if the headlamps are on.

pup2, Dec 14, 4:57am
isn't that silly though, one of their jobs is to provide light when reversing at night.

crzyhrse, Dec 14, 5:00am
Why's it silly! It's so that at night, when you turn your headlamps on when going forward the reverse light is switched off so you can't emit a white light to the rear. If you want to reverse you turn the headlamps off.

It makes perfect sense.

pup2, Dec 14, 5:04am
Fair enough

mugenb20b, Dec 14, 5:12am
Thanks. I'm an AVI, and I do work at a very busy country based garage. On average, I do around 5 wof checks per day.

crzyhrse, Dec 14, 5:21am
That's not actually technically correct in all contexts though. A manually switched reverse lamp can operate when the vehicle is moving forward or stationary as long as the headlamps aren't on and the vehicle still passes a WoF like that. However, if the reverse lamps are operating while the vehicle is moving forward, the operator is leaving themself open to the possibility of an infringement offence notice of spotted by an enforcement officer.

Just saying.

snoopy221, Dec 14, 5:27am
sasssays in ta thread.
Unloads truck load of carrots.
Surely any vehicle operator can remove the stereo and sell it to be able to see when going backward.After all one is more usefull than the other

[;unless ya eat ALL ya cawwots]

marte, Dec 14, 5:46am
Sorta like.
If your car was made before '77, you don't have to have rear safety belts, but if theres belts there, they must comply.

!