93 caldina cz rev counter prob

ginga4lyfe, Dec 14, 11:21pm
Mine stopped working today, only blipps on higher revs, anyone come across this problem before!I hve the cluster out the car and i dont see anything obvious that would cause the guage itself to stop working, best to replace the guage over repairing it!

richard198, Dec 14, 11:39pm
I have the same car. Mine stopped working about 3 years ago!
More likely to be the electrical sender unit.
Assuming yours is auto like mine, why bother!

ginga4lyfe, Dec 14, 11:47pm
because i have found the car be be a bit sluggish since it stopped working this morning, and the electronic sender unit is the coil pack, and i know its sending a signal back to the cluster because the cluster shocked me while the car was running

richard198, Dec 14, 11:51pm
I can't think of a reason why the performance would be affected.
I had the whole ignition pack replaced in mine a few months ago (long after the tacho stopped working). I've installed heaps of after market tachos and the signal doesn't give you a shock; perhaps it was the live wire to the tacho!

The only way to be sure is connect another tacho.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 15, 12:21am
neither can i, maybe the ecu isnt sending the signal properly, either way, im sure the tacho signal line can give you a zap, as i have done it before aswell, ah well im gunna put the cluster back in i cannot see anything wrong, ill just go buy a known good cluster and replace the rev counter in the cluster

richard198, Dec 15, 12:38am
What if the new tacho doesn't work either! (I meant use a"borrowed" one)
If you are experiencing performance problems; I'd want to be sure that the sender is okay first. Good luck anyway.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 15, 12:39am
x1
thats weird i Put it back in and bolted it down, started the car and it still wasnt working still, i left the car running while i put the remaining bolts in to hold the cluster, then put the surround into place and then realised it was then working.I have switched the car off ans started it a few times and it still works, so i put the surrounds screws back in and left it, I just hope it doesnt die again because I dont want to spend 110 bucks for a known good cluster :S

ginga4lyfe, Dec 15, 12:41am
If the new one doesnt work then i can just return it, Spartan toyota spares should be ok with that

ginga4lyfe, Dec 15, 12:43am
and all of this started after i had to go rescue a car this morning, and had the bonnet open in the rain as i jumped the car to life :S so much for helping someone else to gain problems of ur own ay!

richard198, Dec 15, 12:44am
Cool!
Mine was intermitent over a period of a few months before stopping altogether!

phillip.weston, Dec 15, 12:46am
gauge clusters commonly crap out on that era of Toyotas - the capacitors inside leak their fluid much the same way as they do in Mitsubishi ECUs. I had to replace the gauge cluster on a 190 series Corona because the speedo stopped working.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 15, 1:37am
i checked the capacitor ( the only one ) on the guages board, and it seamed ok, no leaks and no buldging, but it may be worth replacing, its a fairly common polarized 220uF 16v cap, so if it does fail again its not like it will cost me to replace it ( got a bunch somewere ), and if that does fix it, then all good :)