Ok My Caldina is smoking

seagoat1, Jan 11, 7:27am
Does that necessarily mean the oil rings are gone! I haven't lost any power, still plenty of torque, its a 96, 2lt, 4wd manual, and done 187,000ks. I had the cambelt done at 184, the mechanic thought the engine was fine when he did the cambelt. Being a toyota I was kinda expecting it to cope with at least 250,000ks.

motorway, Jan 11, 7:28am
x1
when does it smoke, under power, after you've gone down a hill, o start up!

seagoat1, Jan 11, 7:29am
Usually down a hill when I put my foot back on the gas. Stops after a while though

intrade, Jan 11, 7:34am
x1
petrol engine!

motorway, Jan 11, 7:36am
Sounds like valve guides/seals. 3SFE!

ginga4lyfe, Jan 11, 7:37am
x1
to my knowledge ( and it could be wrong ) that sounds like the valve seals could be poked, can be an easy fix depending on the car, not sure about the 3sge that i would think it has in it.

morrisman1, Jan 11, 7:37am
sounds like valve stem seals. When you are coasting down a hill there is lots of vacuum in the intake, this can suck oil down the valve stems of the intake valves from the top end of the engine and when you put your foot on the gas again it gets burnt and hence the smoke.

Not really a biggie, if you dont mind the smoke then no reason to fix.

seagoat1, Jan 11, 7:38am
x1
Petrol yes, 3SFE well that 's got me! Valve guides/seals _ does that mean expensive! (50 yr old duck here _ not the drake)

seagoat1, Jan 11, 7:43am
Thanks for the insight into things, sounds like there is hope!

mugenb20b, Jan 11, 8:10am
187 000 kms.OK, how many k's has it done in Japan before the speedo was wound back! Has it had regular oil changes since it left the factory!

morrisman1, Jan 11, 8:25am
valve stem seals are rubber (all the ones I have seen are anyway) and rubber perishes with age. That engine is capable of hitting a million Km if treated right, smoking from valve stem seals is no indication of your engine 'dying'.

snj11, Jan 11, 8:36am
one additive i have used that has actually worked in the case of worn stem seals is Lucas Engine oil stabilser, its around $40 add 1 litre with your next oil change and after about 200kms it seems to actually work and get rid of the smoke. I have used it on an old turbo mazda 323, a mitsi galant and an old Mercedes 220 and it worked every time, not a proper fix i guess but its worth a shot and its cheap

seagoat1, Jan 11, 9:38am
This is sounding good. I know the car is driving fine, its just the smoke its producing and only recently (last week). I bought it at a 165,000ks, (mainly because it could fit the son's cricket bag _ size of a body bag, and groceries for a family of six plus extras). Only thing I don't like about it is it's a manual. Its supposed to be the family hack, just haven't found another car yet that can take over some of the driving I do. 22,000k a year is apparently a lot. So if I don't have to replace it entirely but can keep it going and put my money into another car would be good.
Any how in response to mugenb20b, my view is a car is mechanical _ i can expect problems no matter how old or where it was made or who did what or what they didn't doI owned a NZ new car brand new once, in the 80's must of been a Thursday when it was made, had no end of problemswith it. When I bought my first jap import (a honda intega vtec man), it was lightyears ahead of anything nz produced as far as performance or finish _ and never had a problem with it. The only car I wouldn't buy would be a . . . Toyota Cavalier. However, Morrisman1 _ your counsel has been enlightening.Now I just have to find a good mechanic . . . .Nod to SNJ11 _ you are right, its worth a shot.

ginga4lyfe, Jan 11, 10:07am
I have the 1.8 Automatic version a 1993, swaps! xD I would love a manual one haha

seagoat1, Jan 11, 10:25am
Yes, well apparently the manual is as rare as "rockinghorse s**t. Probably because everyone knew that 1st was short and you would spend a hell of a lot of time changingbetween 2nd and third and one leg would end up feeling like it had turned into petrified wood, and that was a good enough reason to go for the auto. You lucky thing!

ginga4lyfe, Jan 11, 10:36am
"Lucky" isnt the term i use for owning a manual, i use the term "bored"

ralphdog1, Jan 11, 10:39am
.my view is a car is mechanical _ i can expect problems no matter how old or where it was made or who did what.

Good God, that rare beast, a Duck with a practical and sensible attitude towards something mechanical.
You are an unusual and wonderful being.

seagoat1, Jan 11, 11:01am
If I were really practical, I would have simplified down to _ its a car _ something is bound to need fixing sooner or later, and probably while I own it.

klrider, Jan 11, 6:51pm
How old is it! Im pretty sure it shouldn't be smoking if under 16 years of age! Id light a big cigar and make it smoke the whole lot until it will never put one of those dam things near its exhaust again.

kazbanz, Jan 11, 8:24pm
16 year old car with 187k is smoking.I suspect it hasn't been having regular oil changes and the valve guide seals have gone hard.
Before panicking though. When was the last time the oil was changed and what thickness oil waqs used!Given its the first time it was noticed was after the cambelt was changed it might be as simple as wrong oil put in.If it is the correct oil viscosity for a 188k car Im tempted to suggest talking to a mechanic or two and try a good quality seal swell product to see if the stem seals can be softened back up. -Heck if I'm wrong you are out of pocket $20 or so.
i agree with the posters above its not a huge job to replace valve stem seals if it doesn't work/fix it.

bellky, Jan 11, 8:55pm
have it call quitline

msigg, Jan 12, 4:36am
Just use it till it dies or fails a warrant of fitness, will probably never die. In the mean time save some dollars for the future.

seagoat1, Jan 12, 6:30am
Ok boys, you get 10 out of 10 (except the naysayers and comics). Most likely valve stem seals, try the engine additive first. Thank you.

stacie_nz, Jan 12, 7:26am
keep driving it