3.8 and TH700 into L300, can speedo drive.

hatchback, Feb 4, 11:14pm
be changed from electronic to cable without affecting ECU. It seems you can unscrew the electronic drive and are left with something that a cable can be attached to. Any other tips regarding this conversion would be greatly appreciated. I know how to mount eng and box, hook up starting system and aternator and wire relay for fuel pump.
Who in the WGTN area can do final wiring to run the ECU.
Thanks fellow petrol heads.

alltorque350, Feb 5, 12:09am
google 'cable X'

hatchback, Feb 5, 1:39am
Thanks for that but after I unwound the electronic unit at the tailshaft, there is a male thread and a female square drive. So in theory I could get a cable made up to fit speedmeter end and tail shaft drive connections.

alltorque350, Feb 5, 4:28am
The engine computer may need a speed signal. I'm not certain tho. What model commie did it come out of!

donz01, Feb 5, 6:42am
In Aussie there is a Rod Shop in Castlemaine that does all the V6 conversion gear. I believe they do a cable conversion kit for the V6. Last time I listed a Co name and contact details I got the Dear Don letter from TM so try Google the name given and it will be top of the list.

franc123, Feb 5, 6:56am
without being an expert on early V6 Commodore drivetrain control, the critical thing here is going to be whether the ECU can do without the VSS as to whether a cable can just be slapped on it, as #4 says.There may be no escaping having to fit a speedo transducer into the cable somewhere, perhaps an inline one of some sort!

im_andrew, Feb 5, 8:16pm
Doesnt need the speed sensor. In the case of doing a manual conversion, you have disconnect it anyway and maori wire it to the dash to liven up your speedo.
021 257 1569 - his name is mike he does retuned memcals, turbo kits and has done a heap ofengine conversions with 3800s - including the VB that ran 11.7@117 at masterton a few weeks ago

hi-ling, Feb 5, 8:50pm
^^^^^^ 3.8 and TH700 into L300.Its an auto and YES it does need the speed sensor signal. otherwise the trans will not lockup the convertor, as per post 4 you can get a cable operated speedo drive with a speed signal output from aus and the states. Im just doing the same conversion into a hilux, but Im fitting the commodore electronic speedo into the hilux dash.

im_andrew, Feb 5, 9:14pm
th700 isnt controlled by the computer.

hi-ling, Feb 5, 9:40pm
The trans no, but the lockup torque convetor is.
The VN/VP ECMs control the TCC, it will lock under the following conditions:
Vehicle speed above 72 km/hr.
Engine temp above 44 deg C.
Throttle position above 4 percent and below about 50 percent (varies with vehicle speed
With a TH700 kickdown is determined by vehicle speed and throttle position

hatchback, Feb 6, 3:11am
Its a VN/VP type one

alltorque350, Mar 16, 4:56pm
A speedo drive out of a th350 should fit