Toyota Gaia 2001

kowhai19, Dec 16, 5:41am
I'm looking at one of these, no nothing about price, reliability so all feedback welcomed. I'm looking at a 7/8 seater for the grandies to go on adventures with me - I'm Nan :):)

taipan4, Dec 16, 5:49am
these are basically a slightly bigger corolla, but you need to look at the engine type, if it;s a "D4" you should avoid if you go with it do so "at your peril".these motors are not designed to run on our fuel , and have carbonising problems, in short "expensive"

kowhai19, Dec 16, 5:52am
Thx, glad I found this board, I know very little. We need a vehicle for the holidays and my old girl has earned her retirement after many 1000's of km's. her retirement. I'll take any advice going, I've been most impressed with support people are getting.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 5:56am
I would suggest you drive a VW Touran as well. More economical, quicker, safer, nicer to drive, more features the list goes on.
The only catch with the Touran is price, they only started making them about 2004 so pricing starts abour 12K.
Well worth while though as they are a properly nice low maintenance cheap to run vehicle that you can enjoy for years to come, with none of the silly D4 engine nonsense.

kowhai19, Dec 16, 6:01am
sounds great but well beyond my budget - I am raising four grandies and we camp and explore the country in the holidays so a good sturdy, economical runner is what we need. I'm probably more down in the 6/7000 region with my budget. I've had a Nassan Prarie (Joy) for the last 4 years - paid $1500 and she had been everywhere more than once. But it's time to move on and find another great little mover.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 6:13am
Can you drive a manual!

craig04, Dec 16, 6:14am
Nonononono!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 6:15am
Oh go on. you know they need one. think of the children! (actually on second thought. .don't think of the children)

kowhai19, Dec 16, 8:22pm
I can drive a manual and don't mind whether it's manual or automatic

kowhai19, Dec 16, 8:56pm
Great have added to my watchlist - does the mileage matter, i tend to go for less rather than more - around 120,000/140,000.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 9:24pm
While the Multipla will generally do huge milage without problem I think you could get a better one for your money. It just comes down to how much time you have to find one. They come up on here regularly with around 120K on the clock for about $6000 - $7000.

Keep an eye on Turners as well. CYPS have a fleet of them which are now up for replacement due to age but theirs often have lowish mileage and should have been well serviced.

If you get the chance, drive one then it will be easier to appreciate how good they are.

Be warned though, most people once they have a Multipla won't part with it or have anything else!

kazbanz, Dec 16, 9:27pm
kowhai-- Ok I sell a few of these gaia's.
The giah is what the origonal Ipsum should have been. it carries 7 adults --ie there is legroom for normal sized people. NO mechanical issues at all (ignoring the D4 issue for a moment)They actually came out witha total of three enginesThe 1800cc VVTi ,the 2.0 old school 2.0l belt drive engine and the 2.0l d4
The 1800 is a gem. and the old school 2.0l is great. the d4 not so good.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 9:30pm
This one could be perfect!
http://www.sella.co.nz/motoring/cars/fiat/966p78/
Its the higher spec model, has the excellent diesel and being an 01 has more safety features as well. Its in budget and low kms too.
Well worth some consideration in my opinion.

cocabowla, Dec 16, 9:40pm
her grandies will disown her if they had to be seen driven round in something so butt ugly.

kowhai19, Dec 16, 9:46pm
It is butt ugly, lol, but we'd adjust, I'll start by showing them pictures!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 9:47pm
To give you an idea of comparative running costs, any of the Gaia's will cost at least half as much to run again over the Multipla Diesel. (and thats a fair comparison, include's RUC etc)

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 9:48pm
Good on you!
I am quite excited by that one, its one of the best buys I have seen in a Multipla for a while. (assuming condition etc is all good)

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 9:50pm
If you did decide to pursue that Multipla because its in Auckland you could gt a pre-purchase check at the "Italian Auto Centre" they are excellent and know these cars inside and out. They also do all servicing and have a full range of new and secondhand parts.

kowhai19, Dec 16, 9:52pm
Will follow up and see what I think - 7 seater is preferred but open to all good advice. And grateful too thx!

kowhai19, Dec 16, 9:53pm
Cool, will be heading up there in next week or so as well.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 10:00pm
You are most welcome. The thing with going Multipla is that while you have one less seat you have much more usable room. With a 7 seater (and 4 kids) you are always going to be impinging on the space in the back leaving little room for camping gear, shopping etc.
With the Multipla you have the whole back area free all the time and if its just you and the 4 kids you can even take one seat out giving you room to put things like bikes straight into the car without knocking them down as well.
Best of luck with whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time with the grandies camping this summer too.

kowhai19, Dec 16, 10:04pm
I'm looking forward to seeing one face to face, thx