Re Nissan Prairie joy problem

Page 1 / 2
teddybear9, Dec 16, 10:31pm
What sort of things can make a car when it gets hot not be able to be restarted again until the vehicle is cold again.
Any ideas anyone please

fern413, Dec 16, 10:34pm
When you say hot do you mean overheating or operating temp!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 16, 10:34pm
When you say "not start" do you mean not turn over or turn over slowly or just wind over and not start.

teddybear9, Dec 16, 10:39pm
When the car has been driven and then you park somewhere like a car park etc and when you get back to vehicle it won't turn over or nothing, until the vehicle has got no heat at all under the motor, Nissan cant work out the problem, so chose to go threw people in the NO.Hehe

gunhand, Dec 16, 11:08pm
We have one of those and have had the opposite type problem. If you get in it start it move it 10 feet (its fine if you get it real warm tho) stop it and try a restart it wont start unless you put your foot to the floor, like its flooded. If you wander off for 10 mins and come back its starts fine. Are there any heat sensors in these things that may cause a problem I wonder.
Oh and do you have dash lights etc but wont turn over!

cocabowla, Dec 16, 11:44pm
had a similar problem once which turned out to be a faulty battery only charging to 9v

ginga4lyfe, Dec 16, 11:45pm
What engine has it got, the sr20! I would point to a relay problem for the OP and for gun hand, check the fuel pressure regulator!( dunno why but i feel like that may be the problem, that or the TPS! )

gunhand, Dec 16, 11:50pm
Cheers, but it is no issue for us. That only happens if you move it stone cold a few feet and try to restart. Not something I do often lol. Runs sweet as all other times so no prob. OPs problem would be a pain tho.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 16, 11:53pm
oh. lol well then mine would do that too, i always move it, give it a few blips of the throttle then switch it off, they do flood quite easily.

gunhand, Dec 17, 12:00am
Yep after a few times happening I let run a few minutes if I think I want to move it agian soon.

kazbanz, Dec 17, 1:10am
IMO the first thing to do is test the starter motor and make sure its working.-basicly if it regularly wont start when hot I can't imagine it being within the engine I feel most likely theres an electrical issue

thejazzpianoma, Dec 17, 1:23am
Have seen this too, even an alternator belt that is slipping (but not squealing) can cause the battery not to fully charge and as odd as its sounds this can be the result.
I would definitely be checking the battery, charging system, connections etc.

msigg, Dec 17, 1:38am
solution for Gunhand, what is happening is that the oil is too thick (cold)or gunked up and when you move it a short distance then turn it off the thick oil is holding the hydralic valve open a tiny bit, the motor turns over faster like your cambelt is broken, which it is not. Then if you hold the accelerator to the floor and crank over for ages the motor will fire and eventually go. you need to do a couple of engine flushes to clear all the old gunk out of the head area, and put new oil in of a thinner viscocity . This is what happen to my sons primera, because we don't know how or when the servicing was done before he owned it. try that.

ginga4lyfe, Dec 17, 2:00am
as kazban says, OR as i have found there is a contaminant in the oil and its failing to start because of that ( not enough pressure for the hydrolic lifters ) the oil may be thick enough when cold but when warm. Nope. ( found this out by accident when i put some engine flush through my one ) this post for the OP anyways

mugenb20b, Dec 17, 3:09am
What year! What engine! Carb or efi!

mantagsi, Dec 17, 3:41am
Not something such as electrical breakdown after a warm run a la Fiat behavior! Dizzy area etc

teddybear9, Dec 17, 10:58am
1995 sr20 carb Brand new battery out of the 98 model, Nissan said it is the fuses, he checked them but not the relays which i said he should try the 98s and see whether it makes a difference.Starter turns over first pop when car is stone cold

teddybear9, Dec 17, 11:02am
oh not shore whether carb or not as it DOHC

ginga4lyfe, Dec 17, 11:27am
It will not be carb, i have never seen a sr20 as carb, and the Prarie Joy was never offered as a carb anyways ( for the 95 year anyways) I have a 97 , and i hate the thing to bits, its been to suspension shops, been to frame alignment places, been to nissan and they all have checked it over for problems, but it consistantly makes a loud clang when being reversed out of our drive way on full lock, and always chews out the tyre on that same side were the clang comes from, ( the left front ) I have already replaces the starter motor and alternator twice and only has 150,thou on the clock ( had it since 45 thousand ), its an annoyance to say the leased to service it, and the bloody rear sliding door on the left side always sticks, its gutless with the AC on, and i have had to practicly become a contortionist and scar my hand trying to get to the power window control box to get the intermittently not working windows fixed( dry solder, took less than 5 minutes to fix after the hour to find the damn control module , and another half an hour to fix everything back together ) the seating is torture ( cant sit in the seats without killing my back for more than 2 hours ) . Nissan should stick to making sports cars because if this is anything to go by, they SUCK at mini vans.

thewomble1, Dec 17, 11:31am
Fuel vapour lock

ginga4lyfe, Dec 17, 11:47am
you wouldnt get that unless it was a carburetor( vapor lock to my understanding is when the fuel in a carburetor is too hot and simply disappears when there is vacuum on the carb, the fuel just doesnt come through), as the fuel is under pressure and is timed injection it would be pretty hard to vapor lock a compressed liquid,its not free flowing vacuum induction like a carburetor ( then again I could be wrong, this is just how i see it )

rojakell, Dec 17, 5:34pm
Chances are is it's the ecu coolant sensor. Lives in the intake manifold, controls the choke. When the engine is hot the thing still keeps it choked/dumps in loads of fuel and it won't start. Costs around 20bucks to replace. Can buy from repco.

doona2005, Dec 17, 8:55pm
Have a nissan 94 bluebird. Its sitting in the driveway at the moment. Doesn't turn over. Starter motor has been checkd, distributer(sp) has been checked, battery terminals has been checked. Took it for a run to Tauranga last weekend no problems. All week back and forth to work no problems. Yesterday went into town - had a couple of stops, then home. An hour later go out to start, she started then died and she won't turn over no lights on the dash. Today, try again, lights on dash not starting.

snoopy221, Dec 17, 9:53pm
You neglect to inform in post one that the vehicle is an automatic.
Quite possibly the starter inhibitor switch which only allows it to start in nuetral or park is the problem.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 17, 9:56pm
If all else fails, you could request a refund under the fair trading act. Clearly the product is miss-represented giving the owner no "Joy" at all.