Toyota ipsum 1997 water pump

gag5, Oct 22, 9:20am
Does anyone know whether the water pump in the toyota ipsum 1997 is run by the cambelt and would need to be replaced if the water pump is broken

gadgit3, Oct 22, 6:33pm
Yes water pump is cambelt driven. Engine is a 3S-FE

intrade, Oct 22, 6:46pm
engine is non interfearance but headgasket blow out if it overheats , head wont crack unless seveare overheated.also do valve clearane as these has shim and buckets

kazbanz, Oct 22, 9:15pm
Gag I think you probably misunderstand the point thats being made.
NO you do not NEED to replace the cambelt when replacing a damaged/worn out water pump. But unless the belt is all but brand new you would be mad not to replace it.
The reason being that the mechanic is going to remove/replace the belt anyway regardless of if its a new one or the old one. This means you get a new beltfitted and only pay the price of the actual belt itself. saving yourself hundreds

gadgit3, Oct 22, 11:31pm
Nah I understood the point. If this came into our shop with a broken water pump we would be replacing the cambelt reguardless, as the belts don't much like containimation like coolant and they also don't like running on there side or loose if the water pump is "broken"

kazbanz, Oct 23, 12:24am
do wot! not you gadget--gag/OP was who I was replying to.

gag5, Oct 23, 8:07am
thanks for that info - any idea how much a cam belt would cost! The mechanic has only quoted the cost of the waterpump & 5hrs labour. Wonder why he didnt suggest a new cambelt!

gadgit3, Oct 23, 8:22am
Oh sweet as kaz sorry bout that.
Gag a new genuine belt is $55+gst

llortmt, Oct 23, 8:29am
I'd refuse to do the job without a new belt.
If you want a bodge job find a back yard mechanic.

gag5, Oct 23, 8:43am
hey thanks for that - will get the new belt fitted then - silly not to!
Have a great night. Cheers.

incar., Oct 23, 11:20am
change the belt, if the water pump is faulty to the extent that it has play which increased slack in the belt then it would be slapping/contacting covers, housings etc, and could cause damage to the belt, but not many mechanics would re-use the belt, for $30-40 replace it

gag5, Oct 25, 8:01am
well, it turned out it wasnt the waterpump. It was a welsh plug behind the water pump that was leaking. So a new cam belt & tensioner was fitted.
Thanks for all the helpful posts.