Toyota Ipsum help please

Page 1 / 2
racheee, Mar 12, 7:21am
Hi, my husband and I don't know a lot about cars, and are looking to buy an Ipsum.Don't really want to spend more than 12k, however if we can get a good one then don't mind travelling to get it or get it shipped down (although no idea of prices for that).I am getting a bit confused with what the i's and s's are, and the differences between them.We would like a reversing camera, and I would love leather seats, but can only find one and it is in Auckland and a bit above our price range.Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

racheee, Mar 12, 7:31am
I forgot to say automatic too.Is it true to avoid tiptronic!

jasongroves, Mar 12, 7:55am
What years are you looking at!
Dont have to avoid tiptronic, just have to make sure its been well maintained.as with everything else;)
http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/toyota/ipsum/ may be of some help

racheee, Mar 12, 8:09am
Well, the best we can get for that money I guess.I presume later model means better!

racheee, Mar 12, 8:11am
Sorry, link not working - says 'wrong model' when I click on 2001.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 12, 8:31am
WIthout trying to turn this into a mud slinging match. I would suggest you also take a Touran for a run. You can just get one for 12K and they are lightyears ahead of the Ipsum, and anything else in the price range.
The better technology drivetrain in the Touran means you get power AND economy. nothing beats it for running costs.

racheee, Mar 12, 8:37am
I can only find one on here for 18k.I had a friend with a VW down here and she really struggled with parts.That was about three years ago now so things might have improved, but at the time it was really expensive to get parts for.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 12, 8:43am
VW parts are super easy to get and very well priced. All you have to do is call one of the great third party importers like Qualitat and they will courier anything you need overnight at a great price.

I have seen several Touran's go for 12K if you are patient and wait, or go to a little extra effort you should be able to get a cracker. A car of that value is a huge investment and well worth the effort in my opinion.

BTW, any competant mechanic can look after a Touran they are easy to service. What the Touran is by the way is a stretched VW Golf with a high roof. Because of that mechanical parts are super competitive and millions and millions has been spent on the development as its about the 3rd most popular car in the world.

The key thing that makes it so economical but so powerful is the revolutionary DSG gearbox. That gives you 6 gears vs Toyota's 4 gears and the design of the gearbox means less maintenance than regular automatics. It also does not use a torque converter which is the part of an automatic that wastes a lot of energy and causes automatics to use more fuel than a manual.

racheee, Mar 12, 8:48am
So is it called tiptronic!I am looking at some on here based in Auck and it says tiptronic.Sounds interesting, will have a better look in the morning.Thank you!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 12, 9:00am
If you are refering to the Touran then no. Its called a DSG gearbox. The closest thing in the Trademe options is Tiptronic so thats what they put. All Tourans in NZ have the DSG so even if it says auto thats the gearbox that it has.

Basically its a manual gearbox but its controlled by a computer and a clever system of two clutches. The result is all the economy benefits of a manual with all the driving ease of an auto.

If someone didn't tell you, you wouldn't realise you wern't driving a very expensive 6 speed auto.

BTW the difference between 4 gears and 6 gears is huge. Think about driving up a hill, in a 4 speed you can only chop down one gear without revving the cars guts out in second.

With a 6 seed you have 5th 4th and 3rd before the car starts really revving. The result is low rev relaxed cruising and easy smooth effortless climbing of hills and mountains.

The rest of the car is fantastic too, they handle beautifully and are very well equiped. Most have around 8 - 10 airbags. The back seat also properly folds right down into the boot so you can take 5 people AND a huge amount of luggage. Or 7 people and some luggage.

To give you a rough idea of how much fuel saving we are talking about the Touran has about 25% quicker acceleration but uses 25% less fuel than the most economical Pressage. Thats a serious saving.

racheee, Mar 12, 9:01am
Ohno, now I am getting confused!I thought I had finally decided on an Ipsum!Thanks Kazbanz, will have a look at them too!

racheee, Mar 12, 9:06am
thejazzpianoma - I just need to find one in Invercargill to test drive now!Thanks for your advice, it sounds great.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 12, 9:08am
If you can't find one in Invercargil take a MK5 VW Golf for a test drive. Its much much smaller than the Touran but having the same engine and gearbox you can see what the 6 speed DSG is like and get some idea of what features they have.

The interior, seats, gauges, equipment and layout is all much the same.

pauloc, Mar 12, 10:15am
Ipsum's are a very nice reliable machine, I have sold over 100 of them.The I is the entry level S is higher spec, usually 16 inch alloys and factory bodykit, Then U spec is top grade, there is a sub sub model 'G' spec that is the highest of each model.
Yes VW aren't bad cars, however the Japanese have won here that's the fact.
One can always admire those fighting for their cause against the flow and holding out.
Toyota do sell 8,500,000 cars a year worldwide for good reason.
I know the warrranty stats, the Toyota will give less grief as it get's older.
Just a fact, if you are a car nutter and want to spend your spare time shagging around trying to find parts, by all means buy a VW.
If you have areal life and aren't obsessed with cars (and DSG gearboxes)
just buy an Ipsum and move on.

pauloc, Mar 12, 10:17am
That car is in Auckland and $12k more than the OP wants to spend.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 12, 10:58am
Don't mind pauloc rachee, he likes to follow me around and say anything he can to discredit my advice. When you make your living out of flogging old technology used imports the prospect of the masses choosing the much better, safer, more economical and better priced alternative must be frightening.

The VW is not the oddball he makes it out to be, we only have more ipsums in NZ because we import the vast majority of our cars secondhand from Japan.

For what its worth with regard to his chest beating about Toyota selling 8500 000 cars a year. Well VW have at times sold more than Toyota in the last couple of years, they are the next biggest producer by volume and are on track to out produce Toyota in the next few years.

Don't let the scare tactics get you down, if you want some qualified knowledgeable advice call Qualitat and have a chat. Ask them what breaks and what it costs to fix them, service them and how they compare to Toyota etc. They actually know given they work on them every day.

Its sad that some people feel so compelled to spout baseless nonsense when such an important and expensive decision is at stake. Especially at the moment when buying the most economical vehicle makes so much sense.

Buy the car you likebest rachee, if you decide you like the Touran best it would be a shame if you changed your mind over baseless nonsense and scare tactics. People should be able to come in here for honest, knowledgeable and above all impartial advice. Its a shame when things get tainted with car dealer scare tactics and pressure.

pauloc, Mar 12, 10:02pm
To get into an arguement with an idiot creates only two idiots.

racheee, Mar 13, 6:42am
Really confused now!But thanks Pauloc for explaining the letters, helps a lot.

Back to my search - guess it pays to actually start test driving a few anyhow, see what I think.

racheee, Mar 13, 8:48am
Can someone now please help with Ipsum vs Gaia vs Spacio! I would be looking at a 2001+ Ipsum, but see Gaia's are a bit cheaper.Also, are not all Gaia's and Spacio's 7 seaters! I am getting more and more confused as I go on.

racheee, Mar 14, 5:55am
I am actually quite liking this Presage the more I look at them.Can only find 2003+ models with lower milage in the North Island, but could look at getting one sent down.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 14, 10:18pm
One way to help make a decision is to decide whether fuel economy is important or not. If it is then it becomes quite easy to reduce the list as some of what you are looking at are quite thirsty.

The Pressage for example (assuming the small engine version) is going to be costing you nearly $22 per hundred km.

The Touran just over $17 per hundred km.

The Ipsum just over $18 per hundred km.

This assumes general mixed city/country driving.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 14, 10:21pm
How many children adults are you actually carrying rachee, roughly how many km will you do in a week and what sort of running are you doing i.e all city all country or mixed!

smac, Mar 14, 10:51pm
Jazz this FSI change point is annoying me. I'm seeing 2005 FSI's, and 2006 non-FSI's. Stoopid.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 14, 10:58pm
Where are you seeing this!

I would say its stupidity on the advertiser/posters fault. All Tourans are FSI, All MK5 Golfs are FSI. (unless diesel of course!)

I see lots of lunacy like CVT Fiats being advertised as 4 speed auto's and DSG VW's being advertised as tiptronic autos.

richardmayes, Mar 14, 11:11pm
You should check out a Honda Stream too.

There is a range of engine sizes, I'm not sure what engine the 1700cc ones have but the 2 litre models have the very latest K-series Honda engine, which is timing chain. so barring any nasties you wouldn't have to factor the price of getting the cam belt replaced into your deliberations.

Sorry I'm probably muddying the waters more than I'm clarifying them!