Toyota Ipsum Start Up Noise

robbd, Aug 30, 8:50am
2001 Ipsum 2.4 Litre engine, sounds like tensioner is not working as it should on start up as the timing chain makes a lot of noise. Vehicle is coming up to 100K. Anyone heard of this sort of problem before and more importantly can it be fixed by replacing the tensioner only (is it even accessible) or does engine require new chain and all associated bits and pieces.

Note: engine had oil & filter every 5-10k since purchase at 60K (Castrol Magnetec)

Cheers

gadgit3, Aug 30, 9:00am
Genuine or after market oil filter!

intrade, Aug 30, 9:00am
well is the noise only at startup and then gone after! if so that be normal and you would want to change to a better oil-filter that wont let the oil drain back out. As if its only at startup then that is likely the problem no oil for a few secounds on the tensioner etc as it has drained back out in to the sump.
check and post what oil filter you got fitted!

robbd, Aug 30, 9:03am
Repco oil filter.

intrade, Aug 30, 9:05am
repco sell loads filters Fram ryco! or there own brand! cant remember as i dont buy nothing from ripco.

robbd, Aug 30, 9:08am
Was their own brand!

intrade, Aug 30, 9:10am
well drive to toyota buy a geniuen filter fit it and start it up then stop it again and 5 minute later start it again and see if it stoped doing the noise. if it stoped doing the noise then you found out that ripco sells crap oil filters.

gadgit3, Aug 30, 9:10am
I'd be concerned about the drain back feature of the after market filter you have fitted. the genuine one is $4 more for a reason lol

robbd, Aug 30, 9:13am
Thanks, will get the real deal tomorrow and report back.

gadgit3, Oct 11, 5:57pm
I'd be concerned about the drain back feature of the after market filter you have fitted. the genuine one is $4 more for a reason lol