Toyota's new FJ Cruiser

mcscottwgtn, Feb 8, 3:16am
Saw my first one of NZ roads this morning. Would have popped into the local dealership to look over, but the dealer is a rude cant.

vtecintegra, Feb 8, 3:19am
Petrol only!

mcscottwgtn, Feb 8, 3:23am
Think you might be right. Bet its a real drinker, but it looks like a riot - well a Japanese riot.

tree51, Feb 8, 3:41am
I liked the interior but dont like the white roof.

unideck, Feb 8, 3:50am
Think Mark Ellis is doing a walk about in one as we speak, going from top to bottom of the islands all off road too. Has a couple of others in restored cruisers following close by :). They rebuilt one over the hill here at the signature class HQ in Thames, looked like a brand new truck to me :)

mcscottwgtn, Feb 8, 3:53am
Shame the competition isn't to win a new one.

ric7, Feb 8, 4:06am
petrol V8 only, 11.4l/100km, mark ellis doing off road from top of NI to bottom of SI, there is a competition to win a fully restored FJ40

unideck, Feb 8, 4:11am
That FJ is the one they re-built in Thames, its the mustard colour, must have taken them many many hours to do thats for sure.

rob_man, Feb 8, 6:56am
I wonder what new parts are still available, they wouldn't have done any fabricating if they didn't have to.

vtecintegra, Feb 8, 7:00am
Its a V6, same one as the petrol Prado

rob_man, Feb 8, 7:03am
Ooooohhhh. Don't much like the sound of that.

1fordluva, Feb 8, 7:04am
There is a silver one also unideck,built by R cox.I think its an fj.

unideck, Feb 8, 10:24am
Hey Fish, I have a picy here of it leaving the paint shop, just one word, MINT. Would love to know the man hours on such a build, or maybe not haha. Not sure what it will be like after the trip but I understand that whoever helps the crew on the trip (the most) is the person who will be gifted the truck. May have to set off after them with a box of beer for old Mark, at least I could pull him out when he gets it stuck (bound to happen) with the TD5 lol :)

unideck, Feb 8, 10:28am

1fordluva, Feb 8, 11:01pm
Certainly not the one I was thinking of. lol

ric7, Feb 9, 3:25am
my error, yes V6 and damn good it is too!

mcscottwgtn, Feb 10, 3:44am
The FJ Cruiser is priced at USD26,880 in the States - that's NZD34,850.
In happy kiwi land it is priced at NZD70,000
Cars are so cheap in the States.
Feel ripped off! The yank almost gets two cars for the price we pay for one!
Do you think it is Toyota or the Government milking the kiwi!

boojum, Feb 10, 6:13pm
Looks cool.It's good to see Toyota branching out into some a bit more niche.

dr.doolittle, Feb 10, 6:23pm
I saw one a couple of years ago at the Taupo 1000. An American team had bought it over. Then it looked quiet cool all decked out in rollbars, wheels & racing bits.Cant remember how well it did though.
One thing that did strike me though was how friendly the team were. They would happily explain to anyone(even me!) how their truck was set-up. Yet Kiwi teams glared at you like you were going to steal their 'secrets' or clip their tools every time you gave them a passing glance.

ric7, Apr 4, 7:15pm
isnt that the same with any car in the US, much cheaper there than it is here, I guess the fact of transit and volume of numbers also comes into it