Correct way to adjust a izuzu bighorn handbrake ?

geminidragon, Mar 24, 8:34am
hi i have a 97 izuzu bighorn and the handbrake takes about 7 clicks to pull up and was wondering is it ok to tighten the nut up a little where the cables come into two underneath the truck ,i just heard it should pull up within 3 or 4
clicks,thanks in advance

bubbles244, Mar 24, 8:59am
back the hand brake adjustment right off,change the rear brake shoes then tension the hand brake cable back up

geminidragon, Mar 24, 9:15am
i was told it has disc brakes with inner brake shoes working as the hand brake system ,i thought it only needed winding the cable up couple of turns to shorten the handbrake travel but are you saying it will need replacing the brake shoes !

jasongroves, Mar 24, 12:34pm
Yes, that is the correct way to adjust it.
But, as above, check the shoes first because if they are too far gone, adjusting will do bugger all but stretch the cable and give you a little more resistance at the handbrake lever.
Thats going on the assumption its disc front and drum rear.
Worth having a look at a workshop manual or taking a wheel and brake cover off to have a look. Good chance to check the condition of the brake pistons etc too.
No one can say that the shoes need replaced without an actual visual inspection.
I could be way off the mark on some things, but its 1.30am and Im a bit pissed:)

unbeatabull, Mar 24, 6:03pm
Proper way to adjust is if you take the rotor off and adjust the actual shoe adjuster . you can usually get away with just doing the cable though . however if they aren't balanced adjusting the cable will make them even more imbalanced generally and may fail WOF.

geminidragon, Mar 24, 7:02pm
yes it is 4 wheel disc brake ,it also has no abs ,i got a quote of $65 to adjust it but just wanted to ask if i could just do the tightening of the cable a bit this time cheers

happylad3, Mar 24, 8:31pm
It's wheel disc with handbrake a drum on the inner of the rear. When I adjusted ours, I drove down a gravel road and pulled the handbrake 1 click at a time untill 1 wheel skidded. Then adjusted the other wheel tighter. Repeat.

And I thought handbrakes had to be adjusted to be about 5-7 clicks! That's what all mine are set at.

geminidragon, Mar 24, 8:39pm
thanks happylad3 does it have a little wheel with teeth inside of it to adjust or is it wheel off job cheers

happylad3, Mar 24, 8:51pm
There is a little grommet on the inside stone guard/backing plate. So just pop that out and yes there's an adjusting wheel. I just used a flat head screw driver. And remember that the opposite sides, you have to adjust the brakes by turning it the opposite way.

beblowin, Mar 24, 9:40pm
be for you even try and adjust the shoes from the adjuster slacken the handbrake cable off, THEN adjust the shoes by adjusting them so there just holding then back them off slightly then adjust the handbrake cable.

geminidragon, Mar 25, 9:19am
hey many thanks for the help

geminidragon, Mar 26, 7:31am
does $65 sound good for the handbrake adjustment

mugenb20b, Mar 26, 9:03am
Only if takes 1 hour to do so.