Good 1.5 car

silverhatchet, Feb 9, 10:51pm
Any suggestions!

vtecintegra, Feb 9, 10:57pm
You should figure out what it is you want to do, having engine size as the only criteria makes no sense

thejazzpianoma, Feb 9, 11:27pm
Engine size means little with modern cars. A 1.2 Punto will easily out perform many 1.5's. A 2.0 Golf will use less gas than most 1.5's.

Like Vtec said, what are your other criteria!

i.e auto/manual, price, etc etc.

andy61, Feb 10, 5:16am
Mazda Demio, Toyota Vitz/Echo would be my pick.

richardmayes, Feb 10, 5:32am
Toyota - Echo/Yaris/Vitz if you want a bit more compact, Corolla/Runx if you want a bit more space. Or the equivalent Mazda or Nissan. Everyone's driving these, so there's safety in numbers. (i.e. when it Fails To Proceed some day, your mechanic will know exactly what to do, because he's done 350 others like it.)

I have found Nissan Sunnys a bit gutless compared to the equivalent Corollas, but if you are not interested in winning races this may not matter to you!

We have Toyotas at work and they seem to take all the punishment, a lot better than the nice cars the bosses have! Couple of mates have had good runs out of higher mileage Corollas too.

(Or you could back yourself to take Jazz's advice and get a VW or a Fiat Punto. I see there is a girl on another thread who is completely stuck because she needs a plastic seatbelt cover for a new Beetle and can't find one anywhere.

I have an older mate who swears by Peugeot diesels and never owns anything else, but then he's a qualified diesel mechanic with a lifetime's experience of doing the big jobs!)

moosie_21, Feb 10, 5:35am
Ahem, Beg to differe on this one! 1997 models, Golf vs Starlet.

Starlet (5.1L/100kms)
http://www.cars-directory.net/specs/toyota/starlet/1997_4/4672/ Golf (7.8L/100kms) http://www.automotive.com/1997/12/volkswagen/golf/specifications/index.html

Knowing the number of 10 years and older cars on the road in this country, I doubt the OP can afford something newer as well. The petrol Golf only develops 25 more hp as well, not enough to oversee the weight advantage of the Starlet.

The Golf only overtakes the Starlet in Diesel form, and only 2009 form no less (something I doubt the OP can afford!):

http://theirearth.com/index.php/news/vw-golf-bluemotion-diesel

Don't compare apples and oranges please.

silverhatchet, Feb 10, 6:17am
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
My wish list is a safe reliable car in 2000 to 2005
Not too small or big.I like the look of the Vitz/Platz/ type car
Low kms as possibe
Pale in colour
Not cost an arm and a leg ;)

wrong2, Feb 10, 6:17am
in before Jazzbaloneyman posts :

thejazzpianoma, Feb 10, 11:05pm
You may notice the word "modern" the Golf refered to is the MK5 2.0 FSI with DSG vs your typical 1.5l with 4 speed auto of similar vintage, and admittedly I should have made that clear, but to anyone who reads these threads regularly they will be aware of that as I make reference to it on a regular basis.

I have had 60MPG (4.7l/100km) on a trip from katikati to Hamilton with that Golf, verified from trip computer and the old fashioned way. Thats better than I could get from my slightly older 1.2 Punto.

There is no need to get silly and nitpicky over this, its simply a statement made to illistrate the need to consider actual performance/economy as opposed to engine size. Engine size is simply not an accurate means of gauging performance nowdays.

Have a look at the big new Passats with 1.4 litre engines if you want another example.

The OP made no reference to wether they were buying new, secondhand or what age. that was really the point of my post as well.

appletrees, Feb 10, 11:15pm
I vote for Toyota ;p

moosie_21, Feb 10, 11:15pm
Hey, what would life be like with detractors eh!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 10, 11:20pm
LOL good call!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 10, 11:27pm
Riiiight so its worth paying twice the price or more for a Toyota so you can use a really thick mechanic. If a mechanic can't efficiently diagnose a fault on a Punto you should not be trusting them with a Toyota. or any car.

The original poster lives in Auckland where Italian Auto's can do any servicing required on a Punto and they stock the full range of genuine parts. at prices that are generally cheaper than genuine Toyota.

How irresponsible to spout unqualified half truths and scare people away form cars that are just as good for half the price. We are talking thousands of dollars of other peoples money here and you are making loud statements based on zero first hand experience.

BTW, the girl with the Beetle lives in Alexandra. population 4500 in the middle of the lower South Island. she could have just as much trouble trying to get Toyota parts down there. I couldn't even get wheel cylinders for a Hilux off the shelf in Tauranga the other day. Population over 120'000.
What a silly statement to make about VW, being the worlds second largest manufacturer of motor vehicles.

richardmayes, Feb 10, 11:45pm
Don't ruin the thead with a personal tantrum, I have qualified everything I said by making it clear what my experience is and isn't in each case. I trust the intelligence of the OP to be able to read what I've said and see where the limitations are. Your comments on Fiats & VWs in this thread speak for themselves.

And I do have experience of driving exotic machinery that most of the local garages have to learn as they go. It's just not worth it, unless you really want to drive what you are driving for some emotional reason.
Hence when someone just wants "a 1.5 litre car" I would always try to steer them towards something with near-universal availability of servicing and breakdown assistance, ahead of any other feature. I have no regrets about steering my mates towards mainstream Jappers whenever they ask my opinions about cars, and so far none of them have either :-)

/spam

thejazzpianoma, Feb 11, 1:37am
Top advice papariccardo,
You have the knack of seeing things for what they are and being impartial. Top work!

toysky, Feb 11, 1:44am
economical car highway driving 750k a week

Would a Subaru Justy 1000cc drive me nuts! 6liters for 150k I,m told

toyboy3, Feb 11, 3:36am
suzuki swift2003in silverwould be a good choice

wrong2, Feb 11, 4:48am
wellVW dont claim that

& thousands of other websites are also saying a completely different story

the more i read , the more it seems your fantasizing

no other 2.0 petrol on the market is giving anywhere near 20 km per liter. & vw are not the only makers of direct injection

yorick, Apr 6, 7:12pm
No contest, Suzuki Swift and has the advantage that it's cool, especially the R