Any owners of toyota prado on here

jen1983, Dec 24, 2:43am
Just wondering if anyone owns a 1994 toyota prado sx diesel 3lt. We have looked at one and just wondered pros and cons of having them! any comments and i mean any are welcome thanks

mugenb20b, Dec 24, 6:49am
You sure it's '94! I thought the early ones had a 2.4 turbo diesel engine (2L-TE).
Anyway, pros: They go well off road thanks to low range option. Lots of interior space. 3.0 litre t/diesels go really well. Good chassis.
Cons: (*sigh*) Overpriced, over rated, expensive tyres, potential fuel leaks from the injector pump. Cylinder heads crack when engines overheat. Be very careful when buying an old one, get it checked by someone mechanically minded who's in the trade.

rob_man, Dec 24, 6:55am
That pretty much sums it up, if you type Prado into the search field over there <<<< you should be able to check out some of the previous threads dealing with them.

franc123, Dec 24, 8:47am
Go and drive one first and see if you think its right for you, the pre '96 versions were based on the old 70 series Landcruiser, which means they're great off road but an unsophisticated pain with the refinement of a shearers pub fight on the road, if you are spending 99% of your driving on road you will have to assess whether you can live with one on a daily basis.The later versions are much more palatable and have got an excellent reputation for long life and reliability, cylinder head cracking excepted, but you will still pay through the nose for a good one given how old these things are getting now.Both the 2.4 (early, best avoided) and 3.0 turbo engines will stuff heads, you do need to be careful when buying that what you're looking at appears to have been serviced well, many have not been and the slobs trying to offload them gloss over this and still want top $, good vehicles but they can break just like anything else if abused.Don't buy anything that hasn't got radiator water that doesn't look clean enough to drink (appearance wise), its guaranteed trouble down the track.

r15, Dec 24, 12:49pm
that applies to any toyota turbo diesel, it will overheat and crack its head ifs cooling system isnt 100% or better.

it requires more than just 'servicing' to keep a cars cooling system in top shape too

franc123, Dec 24, 7:52pm
If you bothered to read the last part of my post thats why you have a good look at the coolant, if it doesn't look good then its a pretty good indicator than the rest of it hasn't been looked after, I give advice on quick checks that a buyer can do to eliminate anything that looks like its had long term neglect then and there before deciding to get a pro check.Oh and 6 cyl Toyota diesels are not head crackers, I've never heard of 1HD-T or HZ engines doing it.