SUBARU PROBLEM

pugmyre, Dec 24, 11:58pm
A neighbor has a Subaru S/Wagon around 97, 2.5 litre, problem is coming to a set of lights or on idle, it just cuts out, stops dead.Starts ok with more throttle.At 100 kph, it starts missing like someone is turning the key on and off.Garage can't find the problem.Any ideas that would help him greatly appreciated.Thank you for your time.Merry Xmas.

PS:No engine check lights come on at all unless stopped completely.

jamstew, Dec 25, 2:39am
Possibly air flow meter. get someone to show you where it is, then unplug it and see if it runs differently. however that is a guess guess, as i have only known gts. Good luck!

pugmyre, Dec 25, 2:42am
Thank you.Will pass it on to him.Cheers.

jamstew, Dec 25, 2:47am
Quite welcome :)

thejazzpianoma, Dec 25, 2:50am
Vacuum leak after the air flow meter will do this. Get right in and look for small perished rubber hoses etc.

Check for vacuum leaks first very carefully then move on to air flow meter. Not knocking jamstew's advice at all as it could very well be the airflow meter but that is slightly less likely (in my experience), harder to check and more expensive to replace.

Often garages will get caught up on the air flow meter and miss a vacuum leak in a hose that you have to bend to see the cracks in etc.

youtube has some good videos on testing air flow meters, also known as a MAF sensor.

pugmyre, Dec 25, 4:23am
Thank you.The input to people's problems that you guy's give are valued and respected.Thanks again :-)

marmar1, Dec 25, 7:57am
had similar problem but with a mazda and had a crack in the vacuum hose

pugmyre, Dec 25, 8:00am
Yeah.It's looking more likely that it's an air leak for sure.Thank you.

arejaytee1, Dec 26, 11:50am
that sounds to be doin wot mine was and it waas the air flow meter cost me bout $200 for a second hand one

pugmyre, Dec 26, 6:01pm
Hey thanks man.We're looking at these things and appreciate your reply.

hijacka, Dec 26, 8:13pm
Did you try cleaning it first! they are also quite easy to recon aswell, i would suggest that first before buying a new one.
Have a read threw here.
http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,2762.0.html
#1 have you run a diagnosis check! I'd start there before randomly guessing what it is.

pugmyre, Dec 26, 9:03pm
We really do appreciate that.It's really invaluable information.Cheers.

hitman45, Dec 28, 11:58am
under the steering wheel there should be 2 plugs known as fault code plugs(best i can describe it). plug them into each other and if there is a fault that the computer can detect it should have a fault code number on the speedo area. if numbers start flashing just google the number followed by car make,model and year(if you cant find the plugs google them or ask a local suburu expert) hope this helps

pugmyre, Dec 28, 8:44pm
Hey hitman!This is a damn good piece of information.Will look into that and see how we go.Many thanks.Have a great day.

hijacka, Dec 29, 2:19am
Im guessing just because i post a link to another forum site(clubsub) trademe removed my post. What a joke! haha

pugmyre, Dec 29, 2:32am
Can't see why your information that you gave us would be removed.There was nothing there but advice regarding the problem our friend has with his vehicle.It's a shame really because people reading this site won't pick upon the advice you gave.But thanks again.Welcome back anytime soon.Cheers.