Toyota D4D Engine

Page 2 / 2
gadgit3, Dec 27, 12:20am
RV or base spec manual is selectable 2/4wd

pig-gal, Dec 28, 8:48am
Very interested in your post gadgit3 about the injector seat washers on the Hilux. I have a early 07 2wd 3l D4D which has done 60,000km's and knocks like a bastard but no worse than when I took it over at 35,000km's. I took it back to the dealer who checked it with the diagnostic gear & found everything was as it should be & that the ECU had been flashed to the latest spec for that model. My questions are does the diagnostic stuff pick up faulty injector seats & could these be a cause for the knock. Assuming mine are copper & need replacing do they get replaced with the same or can they be replaced with a better type of seat washer or is this not possible without other changes. looking forward to your answers, thanks Steve

gadgit3, Dec 28, 9:20am
First thing the seat washer leaking dosn't cause excessive knock. But it can be part of a chain of things that do cause knock. First thing would be to determined if the knock is deaned normal or not. They are a noise engine out of the box. The diagnostic tool wont pick up a leaking seat washer but a quick check for carbon on the oil pick up when pulling the sump plug will tell you the story.
Yes when you have your seat washers changed you will have the latest spec washer fitted (these are the only ones available now)
What the diagnostic tool will tell us is if we have a slow or dirty injector when we do a matrix test. This is the test that the dealer should have done fro you if you come in with a knock complaint.

zooki007, Dec 28, 9:52am
Most of the time, if a engine is knocky the injectors are buggered.
TNZ have been getting us to fit complete sets of new injectors to problem vehicles as the issue isn't going away with new seats and cleaning etc. In fact in some cases it has made it worse.
Replacing the seats was/is TNZ's way of looking to be doing something.
The latest injectors have been diamond coated and are supposed to be the fix - we'll see.

gadgit3, Dec 28, 10:28am
Don't know. I've been fixing alot with just the genuine injector cleaner. and the real problem ones I can pinpoint to just one or two faulty (dirty) injectors
If it's in warranty though I am surprised TNZ are letting you replace whole sets lately as from 2008 we (and the rest of the dealer network) had to give full matrix read out and cold plus hot snap shots before we could get a clam through. and then we could only do one at a time. Are you a Hybrid elite tech!

zooki007, Dec 28, 9:34pm
Nah not hybrid elite. Yeah we give them all that crap as well. TNZ don't like doing all at once, but they have to realise they have to keep the customer happy. Plus it ends up cheaper for them as you only have to pull it apart once.
The trucks that we only replace 1 or 2 end up coming back to have the others done very soon anyway.
Which branch are you at! Pacific or Bayfair!

gadgit3, Dec 28, 9:39pm
Nah not part of the Pacific group I'm at Richards Toyota in Paeroa we also have a branch in Thames

gadgit3, Dec 29, 10:28am
Don't know.The diamond coated injectors came in in 07. I've been fixing alot with just the genuine injector cleaner. and the real problem ones I can pinpoint to just one or two faulty (dirty) injectors
If it's in warranty though I am surprised TNZ are letting you replace whole sets lately as from 2008 we (and the rest of the dealer network) had to give full matrix read out and cold plus hot snap shots before we could get a clam through. and then we could only do one at a time. Are you a Hybrid elite tech!

d4d_tough_but_br, May 11, 1:54am
Read with interest the Melb. Herald sun Article Today re Hilux D4D problems. Same engine as Prado right?

Tough but breakable

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/ute-tough-but-breakable/story-fn9xzkw8-1226351998636

This relates to threads:

Injector seal leak=oil pickup block=engine failure D4D

the recall mentioned in the UK is no doubt related to the same link:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/toms_cabs/EN/1KET-015.pdf

Hope that dealerships in OZ can start to assist owners with simple checks before this issue allows their engines to prematurely self destruct.