Toyota D4D Engine

Page 1 / 2
visak, Mar 4, 11:11pm
x1
Does this problem affects the Prado Diesel model. Approx 5 years old. Thanks

intrade, Mar 4, 11:52pm
if it has got a D4 engine then it will be the same problems

gadgit3, Mar 5, 12:02am
Not so much. Same engine different ECU mapping. Much smother power delivery. But water in the fuel is still a big killer.

warny2, Nov 5, 11:30pm
I dont know anything about these engines really, Im more familiar with the 1kz so any opinions/advice would be appreciated. Im pretty sure they make a 2.5 litre and a 3 litre D4D. which has better performance! what are these engines prone to do fault wise! Is it easy to get more performance out of them from factory! TIA

phillip.weston, Nov 6, 12:43am
think Mitsubishi GDI, Nissan Neo-DI etc.

mugenb20b, Nov 6, 1:27am
2.5 and 3.0 litre D4D Toyota common rail diesels have plenty of power and torque, not much difference between the two IMO. It is (unofficially) recommended that you replace injector seats and seals every 45 000 km. When these seals fail, carbon from the combustion gases get into the oil and clog up the pick up screen and destroy the engine. Now, NOT every engine does it, but a lot do. To avoid warranty claims, Toyota is simply saying that you should "check valve clearances every 45 k", which coincidentally, requires injector removal. You can also get a performance chip upgrade which I think is around a 180kw mark, but that will also annihilate the injectors really fast, and will make the vehicle almost undrivable as you will wheel spin in every gear.

gadgit3, Nov 6, 3:54am
This is for Hilux .2005 D4D euro3 system made the least amount of diesel konck but injectors had a major issue with carbon until they put a ceramic lining on the pin. Late 2006 the engine went euro4 and a water cooled EGR system was fitted but the ECU was not mapped for our stink diesel and this also caused carbon issues within the injector and throttle body. Both 05 and 06-07 engines had a copper injector seat washer witch proved to be usless if not replaced every 45000km. Late 07 into 08 they fitted a new type of injector seat washer witch was alot better but still not bullet prof. 2009 the washer was again revised and the mapping improved. The new Hiluxdosn't need the injector seat washers replacing and as far as I can tell the engine hasn't changed since late 09, which is also where I have seen no issues with the engine servicing has also been pushed to 15000km.
Hiace ran a different mapping from day dot so injector issues are alot less through the years and with all the Hiace we service I have only ever done one set of seat washers and that engine never needed them. I have never had a injector carbon issue also in the Hiace range. But water contamination is a killer.

mrcat1, Nov 6, 4:11am
With the copper washers on the seat of the injectors, we used to anneal them and reuse them in heavy diesels.

stevo2, Nov 6, 4:11am
Very interesting read Gadgit. Didnt realise there was a difference between Hilux and Hiace. My 05 (import) Hiace is up to 110,000km now and hasnt had injector seats looked at yet. Perhaps when it gets to 150km eh.
O.P. the 2.5 is a great motor to drive and a large improvement over the old 3L/5L series. Im getting about 9 or 10 lt/100km and running about 25,000km /year, a lot of it open road running.
Cheers Stevo

gadgit3, Nov 6, 4:14am
Lol yea no chance with the toyota ones, the copper was eaten away and replaced with carbon haha.

gadgit3, Nov 6, 4:16am
Wouldn't bother Stevo but ask the guy droping the oil to just check the oil pick up for carbon while the sump plug is out. No carbon sweet as. any signs of carbon then have the seat washers replaced.

stevo2, Nov 6, 4:38am
Thanks Gadgit but Im the guy that services all our family vehicles so i'mm take a look next time I do it. I have been changing oilevery 7500km but just starting to go out to 10,000km. Whats the factory recommendation.
Stevo

gadgit3, Nov 6, 4:42am
7500km is the spec but 10km should be no problem with your usage.

ola_bitchola1, Nov 7, 8:59am
toyota pushed out our services on the new hiaces and hilux to 10,000k so cant see any issue

warny2, Nov 7, 9:38am
Reason i ask was i bought a '03 hilux from the local dealer. I bought it as a 3 litre and all legal documents regarding the sale state that it is 3 litre. But, the owners manual and all other home work that i have done say that it is 2.5. Obviously i went back to the dealer and told him my findings, he said (in short) 'if it is 2.5 -your lucky, if its 3 litre -thats what you paid for'. But he would say that wouldnt he!!! So did i get ripped or am I 'lucky'! Thanks for all the info so far

zooki007, Nov 7, 10:35am
Very interesting warny. An '03 hilux should be a KZN185 model which has a 1KZTE 3.0LT/D. The KD engine variants weren't released here new until 2005. There are however Surf's and Prado's from 2000 (import models),that are KD powered.
What do you have!A Surf or a Hilux!

gadgit3, Nov 7, 6:16pm
Owners manuals are very vauge and cover a large range of sub models within the model. If it's an import surf then yea you may have a shot at a 2.5l. Open the bonnet and look at the silver tag on the fire wall there will be a engine code 1KZ-TE is a 3.0L, 1KD-FTV is a 3.0L, 2KD-FTV is a 2.5L. If it's NZ new Hilux then you have a 1KZ-TE

warny2, Nov 8, 1:15am
its a '03 double cab hilux out of the uk. at the end of the day what am i better to have a 2.5 or a 3.0! will check silver tag. cheers

zooki007, Nov 8, 5:38am
Oh well that's a different kettle of fish. You got an English import. I haven't seen any here yet, but have heard a few things. Not good either sorry.
Yes they did have 2.5 turbo and also 2.5 non turbo Hilux's to get past their strict tax laws regarding engine size and performance.
A 2.5 will be down on power/performance of the 3.0, but unless your doing a lot of towing you probably won't notice.
Just out of interest, why did you choose it!is it 2wd or 4wd!

warny2, Nov 9, 8:02am
i needed it in a hurry and its 4wd. whats the guts on english imports! sounds like im not losing much if its 2.5. salesman did offer to swap it if unsatisfied

trouser, Nov 9, 8:26am
About 40hp and 80nm. I would swap.

jacinda2059, Dec 26, 10:23pm
are all prados 2005- 2008 always awd.(can theybe 2wd)/!

r15, Dec 26, 10:28pm
i had a 06 hiace with the 2.5 litre non intercooled 2kd-ftvit had done 320,000+ km's

there is a lot of negative commentary on forums about the D4D engines, sure there are some that fail, but nobody ever comes on a forum / workshop to tell people their engine is running fine.

mine didn't skip a beat, nobody i know who has one or has owned one has had a problem.

ask yourself how many people you know with a D4D engine vehicle have had problems with it.if it's a high figure, you're probably best to stay away.

from all accounts though the petrol d4 is a ballsup

mugenb20b, Dec 27, 12:17am
I've never seen a problem with Hiace engines, but in my area there are a few contractors and lots of farmers with Hilux utes. I've seen one dead engine on a '06 Hilux at 180 000 kms due to a blocked pick up thanks to two faulty injector seats. And I've replaced two sets of injector seats on another two Hiluxes, both engines had one faulty seat and carbon galore all over the cams.

mugenb20b, Dec 27, 12:18am
What's the owners manual say!