Help with toyota hilux

blackbnz, Feb 14, 3:43am
Hubby was fishing at birdlands flat and our hilux got stuck after trying to get it out there was a burning smell and now the mechanic says it has stones in the clutch and may cost 2k to fix!Is he trying to pull our leg or can anyone suggest what might be wrong with it!could it be enough to just clean the clutch out!TIA

zooki007, Feb 14, 4:01am
What year Hilux!

If its a Surf the dual mass flywheel could be stuffed as well and they are expensive.
If its a 2005 or newer Hilux - it can be very expensive to replace the clutch.

blackbnz, Feb 14, 4:06am
2001 hilux it was owned by an old lady so never modified or 4wd!There was no water near the truck just stones.I said that to hubby shouldnt a 4wd hikux have protection as it is meant to be able to handle being 4wd!4wd toyota hilux 2001 2 cab ute

blackbnz, Feb 14, 4:07am
anyone recommend a good honest mechanic we can get to have a look at it in chch!

blackbnz, Feb 14, 4:16am
bumpy

zooki007, Feb 14, 4:27am
Is it still in 1 piece or has it been taken apart!
What area of CHCH are you in!

blackbnz, Feb 14, 4:44am
yes still in 1 piece we bought it home do not want to spend 2 k until we iknow for sure!

zooki007, Feb 14, 4:46am
If you are close to Ilam Toyota, bring it in and we can assess it for you.

blackbnz, Feb 14, 4:55am
ok assess is there a charge on the assessment!

zooki007, Feb 14, 5:45am
Probably a small charge for labour. But I can't see it being much.
Ring and enquire first if you like 0800 222267, ask for the workshop foreman and he can answer any questions you have.

3tomany, Feb 14, 6:09am
one word" INSURANCE "

blackbnz, Feb 14, 6:39am
insurance!

dent, Feb 14, 7:22am
Maybe the smell is the clutch i.e hes burnt it out while trying to get it unstuck. But stones in the clutch, thats a new one.

farmboy11, Feb 14, 8:19am
Birdlings Flatwas it!
Hey if he's handy with the spanners unbolt the gearbox slide it back and have a look, you should be able to see scoring on the flywheel or clutch plates.
2 grand seems a hell of a price. we normally do them ourselves (parts only,clutch kit $250,machine flywheel $60,spigot bearing $8) and although my lux's are 94 - 97 vintage I would imagine a grand should be enough.

farmboy11, Feb 14, 8:20am
Oh and a rear main seal $24.

zephyrheaven, Feb 14, 8:22am
Some pretty small stones in some areas out there, playing in the stones has been fatal to heaps of 4ourbies over the years - like marbles of quicksand! Id say he would be working hard to get stones inside the bellhousing but hey, there is a 1st time for anything!

farmboy11, Feb 14, 8:24am
Take it to this man he will fix it for you ^^^^^^^^^^

intrade, Feb 14, 8:28am
you forgot the dualmass flywheel that will be poked if its got one still. 700$ to replace for a solid one.

tnt423, Feb 14, 8:34am
$850 for a new solid flywheel, clutch and release bearing.

farmboy11, Feb 14, 8:39am
I thought the dual mass was only in the surfs.
Oh well you learn something new every day.
Still should be able to get the job done for less than $2k

blackbnz, Feb 14, 9:15am
lol.was hoping everyone would say nah he trying to rip you.sounds like an expensive fishing trip!

huffpuff01, Apr 18, 1:56pm
Did you take it to the mechanic because of the smell it made, Or is the clutch not working! Clutch can start to smell when you are working it pretty hard.
does not mean it needs to be replaced.