Nissan Navara vs. Toyota Hilux

Page 1 / 4
woodworks, Dec 29, 5:28am
We're looking at a 2007 - 2011 Nissan Navara Range (2w or 4w) vs Toyota Hilux same year, can you give me your feedback on what you have and/or what you think!Finding it difficult to make a decision - thanks

hondalova, Dec 29, 5:36am
Toyota Hilux anyday, just make sure that the copper washers have been replaced on the injector(cause few problems). navaras are prone to put holes in top of pistons around the 130,00km mark, caused by faulty AFM.

woodworks, Dec 29, 5:37am
ok - thanks hondalova

woodworks, Dec 29, 5:42am
hondalova - can you tell me what an AFM is!

wasser61, Dec 29, 5:48am
Navara, has a better engine and is quieter

hondalova, Dec 29, 5:50am
air flow meter.

aj254, Dec 29, 6:16am
Some navara's with the renault engine have electronic problems.

mull05, Dec 29, 6:17am
Navara

net_oz, Dec 29, 6:20am
Every vehicle has its good and bad points. Usually it comes down to your own personal preference. Not what other people prefer.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 29, 9:24am
VW Amarok, MUCH better vehicle than both of those.
Better on fuel, more thought out for loading, better suspension and 4WD system, superior engine, better economy, nicer riding, better value. the list goes on.

The Amarok is the game changer, especially in terms of engines. The Japanese have slipped right behind in Diesel technology because they simply don't build hardly any compared to the European brands.

The new Toyota Diesels are a disappointment especially in terms of reliability. The technology in the Hilux is very dated as well and its design in general is not as well thought out as the Amarok.

Neither the Nissan or the Toyota come close to being as good a vehicle.

VW not only have great experience with Diesel technology and 4WD systems they have excellent design skills and engineering standards. Most of all though they have obscene amounts of cash to drop on development at a time when everyone else is trimming budgets. The results certainly show.

mrcat1, Dec 29, 9:49am
Time will tell with their twin turbo diesel.

morrisman1, Dec 29, 9:55am
Will the smaller 2.0L turbo diesel handle the way NZers load up their utes! It will be a more highly stressed engine and may suffer as a result.

I dont deny that it is an awesome ute but I do worry about that engine and if it will handle the abuse

morrisman1, Dec 29, 9:58am
also I don't think it will sell well because of the smaller motor. NZers will be put off by that, rightly or wrongly, and sales will suffer.

It will be no match for the v240 from Great Wall in terms of build quality, safety features and advanced technology so I dont know why VW even tries

thejazzpianoma, Dec 29, 10:03am
Size means nothing with VW engines. Nor does their engine need any "proving" thats the point. While the Amarok may be new the VW Diesels used are not, thats kind of the point. VW invest eye watering amounts of money on a relatively small range of engines, they justify the massive investment by using those engines in most models of each of their major brands (VW/Skoda/Audi).
So those engines have already been produced and tested in far greater numbers than Toyota or Nissan will produce because Toyota and Nissan do not produce the masses of Diesel vehicles that VW do.
A lot of this also comes from Japan not allowing any Japanese domestic diesel cars for the last decade while Europe runs more diesel cars than petrols.
Anyhow, VW are generally considered one of the best if not the very best manufacturer of this type of Diesel engine. Their engines are also as well proven as you can get.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 29, 10:07am
Not sure if you are trying to be funny or what you are playing at here, its certainly not of help to poster 1.

You possibly have a point regarding customer perception of the smaller engine though, things take a while to catch on, thats why we still have some nutters thinking Toyota Hiace's etc are the bees knees etc in this country.

The last word in popularity won't likely help or hinder poster one though so its an aside issue.Especially as they are certainly selling, I am seeing them pop up on roads around here and I am yet to find someone who has tried or owns one who dosn't rave about it.

Speaking of side issues, I am sure a lot of Kiwi's struggle with the concept of the big new Passat Wagons (Commodorish size) with 1.2 litre petrol engines. Their performance is more than adequate though, its just technology has moved on and smaller is more efficient and with supercharger + Turbocharger + Direct injection + DSG the power/torque is every bit as good as a traditional engine of 2 -3 times the size.

morrisman1, Dec 29, 10:18am
Jazz, you're not biting like you used to!

I struggle to see how you can discuss the passat 1.2 TSI when it is not released yet but it will certainly be interesting to see how it goes. As steels get better and parts becoming more reliable and accurately produced to finer tolerances I think the engines will be more capable of taking boost but a 1.2L engine in a car which weighs a tonne and a half there is no doubt that the engine will be highly reliant on boost. lets hope they can handle 400,000km of high boost driving.

net_oz, Dec 29, 4:30pm
You're bugger all help to the OP too mate. They asked about Toyota HiLux or Nissan Navara, not some poncy piece of european crap. If you can't offer a decent response to them, then bugger off.

frytime, Dec 29, 6:31pm
the hilux of of late 2011 is on 15 k servicing and doesn't require injector seats, imo hilux pricing is a bit steep

bubbles244, Dec 29, 6:33pm
The issue with nissan's navara range is they have produced an engine with the most torque and power in its class.

Unfortunately when you start squeezing bigger torque figures from an engine design that was only really first made with half to 2/3rds that it is at more risk of failure.

trouser, Dec 29, 6:45pm
The ranger and bt50 have more power and torque.

r15, Dec 29, 6:59pm
Jazz engine size does matter whatever make. The fact is a 2 litre is a 2 litre, which means as the guy stuck with a used amarok which will no doubt depreciate faster than a hilux or navara, you then have to convince any potential ute buyers that 2 litre is enough.the amarok may be good but until the public agrees it is just another bit of euro, like a punto or a polo or a passat that nobody will touch unless you give it away.or good value as you call it

woodworks, Dec 29, 7:17pm
Thanks for your comments everyone. but our decision at the moment is the Nissan vs. Toyota.We are simply wanting to find out peoples response to towing and comfortability etc. we are wanting to a trailer for camping and/or quad.So far we have found the Nissan is more comfortable to ride than the Toyota.Based on that we don't want to buy a vehicle and find out that we made a mistake because it doesn't tow like we wanted it to.(Diesel / Manual are our other 'wants').Thanks

mugenb20b, Dec 29, 7:49pm
Have you tried Mazda's BT50 and Ford Ranger. Even better if you can get the latest models with their new 5 cylinder turbo diesel engines.
I work on farmer's utes on a daily basis, and provided they are serviced and looked after properly, the late model Mazda BT50 / Bounty and Isuzu (Holden Rodeo) have proven to be the most reliable so far. But, I can't comment much about the new shape Navara as I haven't seen many of them. The new shape Hilux is much "softer" than the late '90s early 00' models.

mugenb20b, Dec 29, 8:03pm
All three of the above vehicles have their pros and cons.

Even farmers and contractors in our area keep purchasing Toyotas, Mazdas / Fords, Mitsubishis, Isuzus / Holdens, and the odd Nissan. Most of these people have driven the VW and all said they were quite nice, but no one bought one. Only one contractor blew his engine up at 180 000 kms on a new Hilux, that's before anyone was aware of injector seat problems. Otherwise, all the Jap utes are going strong, only maintenance items need replacing from time to time. Early Mitsubishis (that now have over 360ks + on the clock) needed a gearbox rebuild.

3tomany, Dec 29, 8:23pm
+1 ranger /bt50 is the best ute out there but does lack rear leg room so it depends on what you need.as far as reliability goesbuy the one you like and servive it properly as the letest utes are pretty good. the latest ranger has also cured the rear legroom problem