Mechanic issue/what to do

Page 1 / 3
debz69, Feb 15, 9:20pm
I took my 4x4 tolocal workshop and wanted 2 new tyres, went back to collect it and they had put on four, other two needed replacing but not just yet, he asked what I wanted to do and said I could pay for other two next month so I accepted that.Then put wagon in for some work and asked for quote to do front brake$175.00, anyway went back today to collect and they had done the bloody brakes, even after telling me they were good for another 5 thousand kms. He said I could pay later but shouldnrt have done them.

intrade, Feb 15, 9:24pm
well you want your old brake pads and your tyres.
or tell em to reverse all the unouthorised work. tyres need 1.6mm threadand brakes should be changed at 3mm padfriction material

intrade, Feb 15, 9:27pm
depends on how worn the things where , maybe he is selling the old tyres on for 50$ each secoundhand.we dont know what they looked like.
be awear that disposing tyre if they are non good cost 4.80 each at dump. abouts

scoobeey, Feb 15, 9:33pm
you say the other 2 needed replacing. maybe on a wet road on a tight corner having GOOD brakes you will appreciate the work and will be here to tell the story. Stop moaning and realise you are getting FREE finance sounds good to me .

intrade, Feb 15, 9:35pm
what car is itnissan terrano or something! 175$ would be ok for a suv but not for a cheap 4x4 caldina be on the expensive side to change pads. unless brake fluid was changed then it be a bargain.

intrade, Feb 15, 9:39pm
you have to be carfull also not to pi$$ him off as they can keep your car untill all is paid up , once you got the car they cant get a cent off you any more they can not take the car off you again to make you pay for the work that was released.

bulldogod, Feb 15, 9:50pm
Ok, maybe Im looking at it wrong way then, I have car now but will pay him.

scoobeey, Feb 15, 10:05pm
cool if he is offering free finance i would take it:)

richardmayes, Feb 15, 10:14pm
That's not a very straight up way of dealing with a customer, and you should never reward that with more business.

But if you look on the bright side, he has saved you from having to take another trip to a garage in a couple of months' time. :-)

I would pay for the work they've done, and never go back there.

scoobeey, Feb 15, 10:26pm
the old WORN out parts your an idiot!

scoobeey, Feb 15, 10:39pm
And as poster commented ALL tyres needed replacing.

johnf_456, Feb 15, 10:43pm
+1 Simple ask him to remove it was unauthorized work, alot do to make money. I would also not kind on the mechanic, some are good others just want your money regardless when work is slow.

scoobeey, Feb 15, 10:48pm
We are talkin SAFETY here brakes and tyres poster as stated had worn parts so should be happy to be driving a SAFER vechicle!

johnf_456, Feb 15, 10:50pm
That depends if they were "actually" worn out. We all know 'some' mechanics tell lies at times to make money. I get the impression they were not, either way its the customers decision on what gets done. Yes you can advise them they do this but its there car, there money there choice at the end of the day.

scoobeey, Feb 15, 10:53pm
yes but poster if you read says ALL tyres needed repalcing and brakes with 5k left pffffft.

johnf_456, Feb 15, 10:55pm
I did 5,000 would have a descent bit of tread above the legal limit. If it was a urgent safety thing he would not say 5,000 left.(i.e below 1.5mm) Perfectly legal to have 2mm left or what ever.

rod525, Feb 15, 10:56pm
Yeah, you wouldn't be going back because you would be going for a holiday with bars on the window

Big tough guy behind a keyboard right!

johnf_456, Feb 15, 10:58pm
Yup, same goes for any trade. Work has to be authorized, can't just do what ever you want willie nillie then say to the customer pay!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 10:59pm
I find it bizarre how many supporters there are on here for:

* Unauthorised work.
* Breaches of the Fair Trading act.

It pops up now and then and never ceases to amaze me. These supporters always take the garages side and assume the consumer is at fault even when the evidence is against them.

Its worrying.

(That said, I do understand that there are a lot of mechanics on here and that the public can be painful, however its still no excuse for supporting breaches of ethics and/or the law)

johnf_456, Feb 15, 11:00pm
+1 Reckon

There is better ways of making a descent profit via honest ways.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 11:03pm
+1, the sad thing is it makes it harder for the good mechanics, wasting time on a higher volume of quotes and estimates because a few bad apples have ruined things for the rest.

johnf_456, Feb 15, 11:05pm
Doesn;t matter what the mechanic thinks the work is still unauthorized, as said before they can advise but not dictate. Its against the consumers rights as a customer. The OP never mentioned the tyres were mis matched. People like this give us good mechanic's a bad name, I sure would never put anyone in this boat regardless of what the work is. Its the customers right of what they want to do.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 11:06pm
Yes. its a pretty short sighted mechanic that does this sort of thing to make an extra buck. Customers are expensive to buy, a good reputation even more so.

johnf_456, Feb 15, 11:08pm
Yup look after the customer and they will look after you, pretty straight forward you think. Be honest to them, be up front, give them the choice. Not just do it!

Word of mouth is the best free advertising a business can have and I don't think doing unauthorized work will work with this!

morticia, Feb 15, 11:08pm
Any mechanic who put me in the hole to pay for unauthorised work would never work on my car again.