Mechanic issue/what to do

Page 2 / 3
rod525, Feb 15, 11:09pm
Where does it say the mechanic was "new"! He could of been there for thirty years for all you know. What does New York have anything to do with it! Do you always keep making things up!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 11:09pm
+1, silly thing is it only takes a moment to get authorisation for anything extra you spot. Between the telephone, cellphones, fax, email, twitter, facebook, texting etc etc there is absolutely no excuse for not contacting the customer.

johnf_456, Feb 15, 11:12pm
Well said, I just text most customers and they call me or text back. Especially since they are at work and shouldn't use there phones for personal use.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 11:12pm
And I seem to recall some months ago you claimed to be a "bottle washer"

johnf_456, Feb 15, 11:12pm
Yea I'm keen to hear how unauthorized work is justified, when they did not have the permission to do so.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 11:15pm
. not to mention what Uncle Fester would do when he found out about it.

johnf_456, Feb 15, 11:18pm
Indeed!

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 11:25pm
LOL, well played.

therafter1, Feb 15, 11:34pm
And not be paid for the unauthorised work that they had already done.

Hiya Morty, hope you are well.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 11:37pm
You raise a good point. If you are ever in doubt in a situation like this but need to get the car picked up you can always pay but advise with payment and in writing that you are paying "without prejudice"

That way if you choose to take it to the disputes tribunal later that fact that you paid cannot be taken to mean you accepted the situation.

therafter1, Feb 15, 11:41pm
There is only one side to the story and the JPM has already covered it.

Pay for what she asked for and keep the rest, it is now his problem as she is in possession of the unrequested pads and tyres, although she may have to honour the additional 2 tyre costs as she agreed that she would pay for them at a later date even tho they were fitted without her authorization.
It is not over to workshops to decide what your vehicle does or does not need. It is done in consultation with the vehicle owner and with the permission to go ahead with the repairs.

bigfatmat1, Feb 15, 11:45pm
I disagree I quite often have trouble contacting customers with cars in bits taking up workshop space because they cant check their messages on theircell cause they have no money sometimes it takes days to contact a customer sometimes minutes all while there car is sitting on a hoist in bits holding up the workshop meanwhile you need to make a decision. its cheap she has no other options it will cost her/him more for me to put it back together so she can go else where or get it done later so you do it so that customer is not holding you up by not returning ya call or checking messages. Also i have never been to a garage and asked for my email/facebook/twitter id ect

therafter1, Feb 15, 11:49pm
In those circumstances the only decision you can make is to lower the hoist and remove the vehicle from the workshop !

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 11:50pm
LOL, I was being a bit facetious with the twitter bit. almost went for smoke signal but thought it a bit to obvious.

I do understand your perspective and realise the temptation to go with the most efficient option. However if you can't get hold of them you really are better to hold off on the work.

Obviously some of that can be circumnavigated by getting all contact details, advising all customers as a matter of policy that you may need to call and update them and that if you can't get hold of them things could cost more.

Warning customers with jobs that often get bigger when you get into it that you may need to do more and what do they want to do if thats the case is wise too. But again, you can't foresee everything.

Its always better to waste some efficiency than risk your reputation.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 11:52pm
Snap! You win on the grounds of most succinct explanation.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 15, 11:56pm
BTW, our policy was to make up the job sheet in front of the customer and have them sign it, the job sheet had a place for all the customers contact details. Getting that sorted really is a "stitch in time" scenario.

We also gave our customers a copy of our Terms and Conditions, which were succinct and to the point (I didn't write them obviously) at that time.

My business was not automotive but the same rules apply.

elect70, Feb 16, 1:33am
Concerned for your saftey!yeah right , said the brakes were okthen changed them WTF

debz69, Feb 16, 7:01am
The wagon(bighorn) had just been for warrent and failed on front tyres but back passed. He did it twice, tyres then pads, he knew it was a quote because it was written on the side of quote. Only reason I agreed to pay it later was I needed my car.havnt been to this guy before and was looking for good honest mechanic.He owns a big name franshice famous in Nz

bigfatmat1, Feb 16, 7:03am
and i agree but not always that simple. not all workshops have unlimited parking and storage space

scuba, Feb 16, 7:55am
as you are in the trade yourself i assume this is the way you would do things!

why else would you think this way!

the whole thread is full of your negative comments

thats not normal.

johnf_456, Feb 16, 8:20am
Are you the sort that like to rip people off!

carmedic, Feb 16, 8:34am
I agree I have trouble contacting customers very regularly; sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get the job done.
That said we??

audi_s_ate, Feb 16, 9:47pm
It's not pitstop or midas is it! If so you may have gotten off lightly. They are terrible for quoting work not needed.

yendor, Feb 16, 10:37pm
I think we should all be grateful this vehicle which we share our roads with is now a bit safer, especially something as inherently unstable as a suv.

rod525, Feb 16, 11:59pm
First thing I look at on here is feedback, gives a good picture of a persons character.