Im after a ford/holden

Page 1 / 2
jcs4, Jan 3, 11:48pm
I have a VERY minimal budget (for now at least lol) and don't mind doing a bit of mechanical work, so a project is fine. but would prefer something that can be driven.

im thinking commodore/kingswood type vehicles, manual only :D
would love something from the 70's, but happy with anything newer as well.

so suggestions, whats a good car that fits that sort of criteria! don't worry about gas guzzling, that goes without saying :D

attitudedesignz, Jan 4, 12:10am
What IS your budget!

icemans1, Jan 4, 12:28am
these 2 i wouldn't touch, 1900 engines are gutless wonders

jcs4, Jan 4, 12:33am
believe it or not I already had the white VL on my watchlist. (recently added)and yea I think the 1900 would be a bit gutless.

jcs4, Jan 4, 12:35am
im still working on that one, will get back to you on it

franc123, Jan 4, 12:42am
I'd look out for a good example of a VL, one that hasn't had any rice treatment by some RB obsessed hoon, or else maybe an XE or XF Falcon, there are still some good ones to be had and prices are still reasonable, at least for the moment.You're not going to get an even remotely good Kingy of any model or XA-C Falcon for a very low budget unless you're prepared to spend a thousand hours rust cutting and donating most of your paypacket to Rarespares or to the few people that still wreck these things.

monaro_xxx, Jan 4, 12:58am
well,your in a good location if you need a car freighted and you can wait for a spot on the truck.
if your on a low budget,you will have to get something quite common or(almost) unwanted,like the previous poster put,4 cylinder commodores.
cheapest commodores at the moment seem to be VN's,vl's and vk's starting to get a bit of a following.
IF you can get something with "steel bumpers" i think you will get more respect and help from people who like cars.
(opinion only,and good luck with project!)

im_andrew, Jan 4, 2:15am
What about an XD 'coon!

jcs4, Jan 4, 2:24am
I like them, but from what I can see they tend to be rust buckets.

attitudedesignz, Jan 4, 4:55am
Subtle.-
.but it worked cos i looked lol.

amuso, Jan 4, 6:58am

jcs4, Jan 4, 7:03am
haha, already seen it.

bigtruck3, Jan 5, 1:50am
whats your budget!

carkitter, Jan 5, 4:02am
A 4cyl Commodore could very well end up being a collectors item due to its rarity, especially if it is the steel bumper type.

I remember seeing a Aussie roadtest that showed the 1900cc engine to be so slow that there actually was no economy benefit over and above the 3.3L six. They lasted maybe 2yrs in OZ but right up to the VL model here in NZ when they were fitted with a Nissan 2.0L 6cyl.

With modern performance parts I think you could at least make it go up hills okay but that engine was (I think) borrowed from a 70's Toyota Corona and it was never any good in any way, shape or form. Still quite a novelty though and surrounded in urban legend. I wouldn't dismiss it as a potential project.

carkitter, Jan 5, 4:18am
Appreciating classic my ass, too many kms for that and is likely worn out in every area.

franc123, Jan 5, 6:12am
Other way around, it was Toyota that used the Holden starfire engine in the Aussie assembled Corona's, largely due to anal local content rules that were around at the time.The 4cyl option was only used on the VC and VH series Commodores in Oz, they were regarded as some sort of a joke in the marketplace, even more so than the UC Sunbird that it was to replace, once the Camira (remember those!) started selling reasonably over there the Commie Four was quickly ditched.Yet in NZ they did sell quite well.About the only benefit that the 4 gave was slightly better handling due to less weight than the 2.8/3.3 engine that it was based on, which really given the lack of performance wasn't really a benefit at all.Oz pollution spec ones gave about 54kw and did 0-100kph in about 19 seconds!Collectors item!Hmm.

carkitter, Jan 5, 9:38am
A car doesn't have to be good to be a collector's item, hell, DeLoreans are complete crap but thanks to the BTTF movies they are now sought after vehicles. A 4cyl Commodore must be among the lowest production numbers of all modern Holdens surely.

franc123, Jan 5, 11:07am
The big shame was the production numbers weren't low enough.A Delorean DMC-12 was technically an interesting car, stainless body panels, gullwing doors, created by an ex GM CEO who was every bit as eccentric as the vehicle, and managed to extract millions from the British Govt to build a heavy expensive low volume sports car in a scratch built factory in the middle of a fuel crisis, etc etc, a VC/H/K Commodore four definitely wasn't interesting.It was an incredibly cynical and cheap attempt by GMH to suck their customers into buying a large car "economy"package that in hindsight simply wasn't.A Four these days isn't going to attract anyone other than someone who can be bothered doing a six or V8 conversion, and isn't going to be the first choice to star in a Mad Max sequel either I'd have thought.

buyme3, Dec 30, 7:35am
dunno if i would

edangus, Dec 30, 7:41am
Find 10K, then go looking for a half decent one.

You will probably have to pull it apart and rebuild in the next 5 years. Not many left that aint POS that some wally has had a go at on the cheap.

But. the joy and the pride when you have done it right.priceless

Stay away from the Strfires and Opel 1900s they are rubbish engines.

Good luck with your adventure.

morrisman1, Dec 30, 8:27am
I was wondering why all the links in here are dead, then I saw the date of the posts

mugenb20b, Dec 30, 8:28am
Yeah, he keeps bumping old threads.

nzshooter01, Dec 30, 8:51pm
wernt those starfire engines in the commie four , 1900cc, a six with 2 cyls cut off, heard that somewhere!

fordfan62, Dec 30, 9:03pm
Have a falcon au xr6 as is rego on hold for $4500 or rego and wof $5250,wof needs 2 tyres.

elect70, Jul 25, 10:14pm
Trouble is 70 sholden s/ fords are now classics &people askinghi $ for them . Buy an early 80 sSigma they were basic but reliable ,.if you can find 1