Advice with buying older cars

Page 3 / 3
judyk3, Jan 4, 6:36am
Yea, not a big porsche person either.

I do really like the shape of the RX2/RX3, but they're a little out of my price range. With the basic old Toyota / Ford engines I can get a bit of a hand with any repairs that eventually need to be done, and learn it that way as my Father loves them to pieces. He's not a Rotary person though, so I'd be on my own with that one.

chocolate_gurl, Jan 4, 7:23am
I am the owner of two ke35's .I have one with a 4ageand one witha 3kb.I have always loved my corollasand havefound them to bepretty hardy little things . The 4 age oneswould be similar inpower to the levinyou owned . I usedto own a levin andfind them to be much of a muchnesswith my 4age 35 . My 3kb 35 has very limited modificationbut does notstruggle inany sensetogetup hills or anythingof that nature. If you are interested in the 3kb one.i may be interested in selling .

foxdonut, Jan 4, 7:32am
The 944 is a fake Porsche with real Porsche costs.

judyk3, Jan 4, 7:35am
Possibly. I mean, I'm not too worried about the power, and the 4AGE seems to give the cars value about 2k difference so the smaller engine may be the better decision. Still, if I found one for a reasonable price that had been done right, I wouldn't be complaining haha

Like I said to R15(who I assume wasn't keen to sell as he never did) post up a couple of pics to this thread and a few details in regards to whats been done, WOF/WOF issues, condition etc and if it seems all good we can go from there.

chocolate_gurl, Jan 5, 5:39am
imnot sure how to post photosup onthethreadanyone interested ingiving me slowclear instructiions !

judyk3, Jan 5, 5:55am
Go into my trademe, then my photos, then upload photos. Then once you've done that post the links to the pictures here. I haven't actually done it myself but I assume that's about right haha

judyk3, Jan 5, 6:16am
Looks very tidy from the outside, is that a ding on the rh door or just the photo! Not too worried, just want to know as much as possible. Couldyou put up some interior shotsand engine as well! What's been done to it, condition, how does it drive and how much are you after!

chocolate_gurl, Jan 5, 6:26am
Driveswell ,
Has a 3kb engine withgilmour drives attached.
Has had most of the bushes ,hoses etcreplaced. has a new battery andnearnewtyres.
The interior door cards anddash have beenretrimmed in black.It has a Momo steering wheel and aftermarketpedals andgear knob.
Bodywise itsnot 100 percentstraight ,there are slightimperfections in the paintetc . its 35 yearsold .wrinkles are inevitable. Theengine isin goodconditionit drives well and alwaysstarts (even on really cold days) has been a reliable daily driver .
If youare honestly interested inthevehicle .youcouldgrab my cell number off my other auction!

paddy2, Jan 5, 8:44am
Body style or shape-wise, what do you think of a Toyota Crown Coupe! 426461169. A tidy example of these seem to hold their value.

Or their pig-ugly fronted Sedan - now there was a car that went anywhere and did everything I told it to. Swapping that for an old HQ station wagon didn't turn out to be the great idea I thought it was.

I notice that Triumph Stags are the same money now as they were in the 1980's during the two and a bit weeks I owned one before it bit me. I'm not recommending a Stag. Relax.

Have fun in your quest - its good to know that not everyone wants the same old same old.

Me! I have an old 1988 diesel Skyline sedan and love it. Imported, 2nd NZ owner, 156km, 6 cylinder 2.8L and auto 'cos I'm disabled. Tis a highlight of my year to see a mate in it, put his foot on the brake pedal, so I can see the lights. Its not fast but its as close to mint as I could find after a lot of looking. All I've had to do in three years + ownership in addition to regular servicing, was a water pump and alternator. Same as me Holdens used to make me do. Just, not so often. Touch wood etc.

big.b-lil.c, Jan 5, 3:09pm
if you are not very mechanical think twice about a close to or over 30year old vehicle, parts wear out over time distributors get play that effect's the timing resulting in frequent adjustments, parts in and on the carb(s) wear out leading to hard starting and stalling just when ya don't want them to. and many more small things that add up. im not saying dont buy a old car just dont expect late model performance reliability or economy from them i own a 72 charger and a 74 capri so speak with some experience. would i rather drive the late model toyota surf or the old valiant charger on the weekend! hell the charger by a mile.