Anyone had a Ford explorer.

Page 1 / 2
catherine89, Jan 7, 11:02pm
Am looking at a 2003 V8 ltd edition 7 seater. Really like them and think they would be a great family wagon, Can anyone tell me what they are like on reliability and fuel consumption. Obviously I know they are hungry but just trying to get an idea of km/L ratio so i can compare to other vehicles im looking at. Thanks

tantric5, Jan 7, 11:09pm
I looked into buying one.

got warned off

Ford EXPLODER is what they say

any truth to that!

neo_psy, Jan 7, 11:10pm
I thought that was the older ones - could be wrong though.

Petrol (while making me weep) wouldn't be the biggest thing - how much would tryes cost for it! Eek.

kazbanz, Jan 7, 11:11pm
catherine--they are called a ford exploder for good reason.
It isn't simply urban legend unfortunately.

shelleigh, Jan 7, 11:12pm
Do you need a 4WD Catherine!
I was looking at getting an Escape but decided to get another small wagon as most of my driving is on tarseal.

twink19, Jan 7, 11:13pm
there are much better famlly wagons, have worked on some, horrible , and the cost of fuel would be heaps

thunderbolt, Jan 7, 11:13pm
The earlier versions had issues with roll over caused a mixture of Firestone tyre failures and high centre of gravity. Big crashes, hence the exploder tag.
Fairly reliable from what I have heard, not that economical or sophisticated.

yendor, Jan 7, 11:14pm
Deathtrap

mugenb20b, Jan 7, 11:30pm
They use around 20 litres of petrol per 100km. They also suffer from automatic transmission problems.

catherine89, Jan 7, 11:30pm
Bugger.Yeah need a four wheel drive so hubby can use it for work if needs to and living out in countrywe would use it fair bit. My hubbies got one and it comes in real handie! Was also looking at bighorn/pajero and have also had eye on 6 hilux surf petrol.

shelleigh, Jan 7, 11:37pm
What about a 4WD wagon or do you need the 7 seats!

catherine89, Jan 7, 11:38pm
na doesnt have to be just be an extra bonus,

shelleigh, Jan 7, 11:44pm
Jazz will probably recommend a Passat 1.8T wagon with 4motion ;)
To be honest if I wanted a big 4WD wagon I would seriously look at getting one.

mugenb20b, Jan 7, 11:50pm
2005 + Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2.0 litre, 4 cylinder. Not the best, biggest and most powerful car in the world, but will be sufficient to do 99% of the work required. Excellent off road ability, easy and cheap to service, but some parts can be expensive.

richard198, Jan 7, 11:52pm
Of those three, don't get pajero! Bighorn would be much better or as suggested; Vitara very good!

catherine89, Jan 7, 11:55pm
Vitra bit out of price range. Am looking for a vehicle for a year till I graduate and will then need something economical as my job will require lots of traveling. I like the big horns. are the petrol better than the diesel!

mugenb20b, Jan 8, 12:09am
If your budget is limited, I would keep away from Bighorns, unless you find a genuine low mileage 3.1 litre diesel, with a manual gearbox and a service history. Bighorn 3.1 diesel and 3.2 petrol are the ones to get, stay away from 3.0 litre diesels (4JX1 engine). 2.7 litre petrol Toyota Hilux Surf is also good if it's within your budget.

unbeatabull, Jan 8, 2:08am
They suffer from a lot more then just Auto problems.

I work at a Ford workshop. DO NOT buy one!

motorway, Jan 8, 2:10am
My brother bought on in the States.it had 36 factory recalls in the first year.

hotrodtodd1, Jan 8, 10:00am
VW also made the W8 Passat with the 4wd and a 4 litre 8 cylinder engine. Not really a big 4wd waggon, but If you were keen on the v8 Explorer, I would suggest that the VW is a vastly better option than any of the 6 cylinder Jap 4wds people have suggested

shelleigh, Jan 8, 10:11am
I'm wanting a small wagon so looking at getting a Mk5 Golf. A Focus was another serious contender but the Golf is a nicer looking wagon.

wasser61, Jan 8, 7:36pm
Explain please, would love to hear!

yendor, Jan 8, 8:52pm

the-lada-dude, Jan 8, 9:01pm
[quote=mugenb20b. They also suffer from automatic transmission problems.[/quote]

+1 the early ones use the same auto as a ford sierra !

catherine89, Jan 8, 9:36pm
Thats a scary site!