Help! Mechanic didn't fix problem re: the bill!

Page 1 / 3
cruiser00, Feb 23, 6:50am
So my car died last week, I rang my usual mechanic, they towed it and next day told me it was ready to pick up. $200 bill.

So I pick it up and drop into the panel beaters down the road, the damn thing wont start again grrrr, I ring the mechanic back and they send a guy around to take a look, "it's your immobiliser he says" he buggers off and the panel guys fix it in 5 mins for free.

Question is, shall I pay all of the $200 to the mechanic who didn't fix it at all or can I ask for a reduction of the bill!Sorry guys but I'm a chick and not quite sure how to approach him about it without looking like a complete twat lol any advice would be much appreciated :o)

franc123, Feb 23, 6:55am
what sort of vehicle, what went wrong exactly and how do you know it was the same problem as before!

marcos1, Feb 23, 6:55am
Those panel guys are a versatile bunch huh .!
Highly underrated if you ask me

cruiser00, Feb 23, 6:59am
It's a VW Polo (gag) they used the scanner and immobiliser was coming up on it, they said that they re set the computer

The panel guys said that the wires for the immobilser had come apart, the mechanics hand would have been touching them when he was putting the scanner in lol The electrical tape was hanging down and everything lol

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:00am
wouldn't start for you or the panel beaters your story makes it sound like you had some work done on the starting circuit. that got fixed you took car to panel bashers they couldn't start the car called ya mechanic he went to it turned the immobiliser off panel bashers didnt want to admit to them being silly and blamed the previous work and took credit for fixing it

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:02am
this story is fabricated 1 the scanner will not communicate with after market alarm 2 if its factory alarm its not wired anywhere near the diagnostic port.
3 there is no reset for comp on vw.

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:03am
It didn't have any work done on it at the panel beaters, and I was there when it happened

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:05am
well if your story is correct it does not make sence what you have been toldthe story is incorrect as well as fault.

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:05am
Ok forgive me for being stupid! I take it Immobiliser is central locking too!

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:06am
Thanks for all your help, so um whta do I do! lol

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:07am
what does you mechanics $200 bill say on it i.e work that was done

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:08am
One more question, why would it die again if the mechanic had fixed it!

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:09am
Labour $120
scanner fee $45
sundries $10

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:11am
on your vehicle central lock is a function of the alarm i'e it will trigger the locks when arming and disarming. it is stand alone however.

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:12am
what does it say they did when fixing it. What is the labour for it should tell you what they did on the invoice

msigg, Feb 23, 7:12am
Pay the bill $200 is nothing for a mechanic to tow the car and look at it. If you know better than the mechanic then fix it yourself. dosn't matter whether your a lady or man if you don't know then your at the mercy of someone else.

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:13am
I don't have an alarm so the central locking immobiliser is what caused the problem!

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:15am
that's why I'm asking, I didn't want to go marching in there all high and mighty, I'm happy to pay the $200, apart from this he's great

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:15am
immobiliser/alarm What does the we story on the invoice say!

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:16am
It just had labour, scanner fee etc

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:19am
so you need to go ask ya mechanic what he did to see if it is related.

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:20am
Thanks for all your help, gonna pop in there tomorrow, Cheers :o)

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:21am
but the story of immobilizer wires hanging down and tape sounds like crap to me if it is a factory immobilizer.

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:23am
Panel beater asked me who installed it, I said it was like that when i got it, jap import, he said the wires weren't soldered together, just wound and they'd come away

lookoutas, Feb 23, 7:27am
So now bfm can't blame the panelbeaters like he wants to.