Help! Mechanic didn't fix problem re: the bill!

Page 2 / 3
johnf_456, Feb 23, 7:32am
I say its non factory and some has had a play at some point

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:36am
not just pointing out the 'full' story has not been told. or what she has been told is crap the story has serious flaws in it

John if its after market the scanner would not of picked up an aftermarket alarm/immobiliserfault.

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:41am
Sorry Biker, I'm not too sure of the terms, thats why I'm coming across as a blithering idiot lol

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:41am
It cranked but didn't fire

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:43am
I'd say the mechanic correctly diagnosed the immobiliser as being the reason the car wouldn't start by using the scanner to determine that there was a fault detected in a factory circuit (ignition) that could only logically be attributed to the half-arsed fitment of the immobiliser.[/quote]

If they'd correctly diagnosed it, then why wasn't it fixed!

cruiser00, Feb 23, 7:44am
I get ya, I think I'll just pay the bill lol

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:46am
no it would not an immobilzer code would be under a alarm immobilizer menu that system however will be in accessible if there is no factory immobiliser. It will not come up under generic emissions fault codes these will only relate to sensors on the engine exhaust ect

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:49am
my advise is op is to ask what the mechanic did with his labour and what he fixed. I know its not just a diagnose because youhave a sundries charge. if its something to do with immobilzer ask him him then re check with the panel beater. then you would be able to make the decision

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:57am
If its factory immobilizer this will not happen. Never ever otherwise it would make diagnosing more difficult factory immobilizers are pretty clever and well designed. generally speaking the dont interupt circuits they will stop the the injection circuit internally in the ecu some will smooth the output so it appears to be triggering

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 7:59am
also if it said that a panel beater would not be able to differentiate between an immobilizer and the sensor and would of replaced a sensor. because of the inability and equipment to test it correctly.

bigfatmat1, Feb 23, 6:06pm
This is what i am saying. If its not factory scanner would not detect fault. If its factory there is no wiring near diag port that would relate to immobilizer.

paull, Feb 23, 7:52pm
probaly quite cheap really, hell just to tow the vehicle in most places will set ya back $150-200, As for the sundries i think that was meant to be SUNDAES cause i saw them at maccas getting large m&m sundaes on the way home,

really the prob is fixed and now you know what it was so all sorted and for $200 thats a bargain i suppose, could be worse.

mechnificent, Feb 23, 8:29pm
Mat will be right here. the scanner will not detect the imobiliser.
Everyone is guessing.

The poster needs to go talk with the mechanic.

mechnificent, Feb 23, 10:55pm
Oh FFS.
The poster needs to go talk with the mechanic.

bigfatmat1, Feb 24, 12:15am
lol I give up. trying to explain

mopsy3, Feb 24, 9:15pm
I notice that this OP doesnt say what the 'story' on the invoice for $200 is.While I agree a tow would normally set you back a small or large amount depending on the distance, I am interested to know what the $120 labour charge covered.Could have been a tow of 50m for all we know and could have been a rope tow so charge at mechanics discretion which is what I am guessing or surely a tow fee would be included in the invoice.Tell the whole story OP it is one way of helping these guys give you advice.

bigfatmat1, Feb 24, 11:44pm
thats cause she says it does not have a story on invoice. and wont say what was done or initial problem was

mrfxit, Feb 25, 12:11am
Odd as it may seem . I agree ^^

Scanner will log a fault point but not necessarily the correct source
Logical Deduction would/should determine where & what

mrfxit, Feb 25, 12:13am
Very common for no explaination on the bill

mopsy3, Feb 25, 12:42am
What!Why would anyone just pay that much money with no explanation!I know I sure wouldnt and I wouldnt ask any of my customers to either.IMO if you pay an itemised account with no explanation in writing you deserve to be ripped off.Please tell me where you would pay an invoice without any explanation!

mrfxit, Feb 25, 3:07am
An immobiliser.effectivly cuts the supply of power to the starting or sparking circuits.
The fault codes may not show up unless the car is currently attempting to start
A full diagnostics test should show up the interrupt caused by the immobilizer but won't show that it's an aftermarket device

bigfatmat1, Feb 25, 3:27am
immobilizers are not wired into these circuits. who wires up a immobilizer to a cas or the likes. A friggen moran that wants his job to come back because the vehicle is doing starnge things through electrical noise or interference and if its not wired there why would the scanner pick up that as a fault!.aftermarket alarms are wired to start circuits , ignition switch circuits , fuelpumps if its wired into a ecu power supply more than likely the scanner would have a communication error common electrical 101.

bigfatmat1, Feb 25, 3:29am
any electrical sensor is sensitive to noise and to have it going through an alarm relay where there is emf would just be stupid these sensors are usually going to be 5v digital or ac they will be shielded as well to prevent such interference does not take much to upset its signal

bigfatmat1, Feb 25, 3:32am
cut ya power to ya coil or igniter garantee ya wont get a fault code. same with starter circuit some cars might have a no start signal fault code if ya dissable st2 but ya wouldnt do that cause ya can still start ya car. because its a separarte circuit

mrfxit, Feb 25, 3:32am
LOL, yea well spose it depends a lot on how /where it's been wired in AND simply what items THAT ecu keeps tabs on.