Holden could be history!

Page 1 / 2
rob_rooster, Jan 10, 12:48am
http://nz.finance.yahoo.com/news/Holden-faces-closure-irnnewstalk-1256868925.html!x=0
I know this brand tends to polarize opinions, some would be happy to see it's demise, but it would be pretty sad if GM pulls the pin!

rustihammer, Jan 10, 12:53am
Cripes.

friendly_prawn, Jan 10, 12:59am
Holden and Aussie Ford are my two favourite cars.
would be sad to see any of them go.
I wish Ford would bring back the Falcon Panelvan with a V8 in it.

vtecintegra, Jan 10, 1:01am
The only way to avoid this is to find a real export market for the Commodore.

Australia and NZ (plus the few markets that do get the Commodore) really aren't big enough to support a specially designed model these days (especially when market share of big cars is shrinking).

If GM can't (or won't) do this then I doubt we'll see another Commodore and Holden without the Commodore is just an engine manufacturer.

next-to-normal, Jan 10, 1:06am
there goes that debate,been an overprotective car industry that oz is, dont make a car desirable,a good car will always sell well,

foxdonut, Jan 10, 1:09am
This is good news for anyone in Australia who isn't employed by Holden. The Domestic market here keeps the price of cars about 50% higher than they need to be and the quality much lower.

Bring on the Jap and Korean imports I say. Hopefully more Yank stuff too.

welshdude, Jan 10, 1:11am
Strange thing. my dad owned three Holdens in a row and I also aspired to own one. However, when I started buying cars I let my head do the choosing. I have never owned a Holden but I have owned two Fords.

kazbanz, Jan 10, 1:57am
vtec--Um actually they have--badge tecnology saw it badged a monaro in the states and aVauxhall something in the uk-top gear rave about the coupe

vtecintegra, Jan 10, 2:00am
I'm aware of both those efforts - the US one (Pontiac GTO and G8) was a dismal failure (due to GM incompetence as much as anything else) and the Vauxhall models are incredibly niche.

They need to sell the normal Commodore in volume or else its going to go away.

yogibearz, Jan 10, 2:10am
its happened before with Mitsubishi and will probably happen again.
No wonder the new XR6 in the garage looks good

vtecintegra, Jan 10, 2:16am
I don't think the outlook for Ford is any better (at least as far as the Aussie built Falcon goes)

yogibearz, Jan 10, 2:43am
yes you are probably right, regretfully for the whole industry.

3tomany, Jan 10, 3:05am

bellky, Jan 10, 3:29am
yeah well i think it's not all bad in a way.

they keep making cars all the time when there are plenty to go around.

think of the 'excess consumption' car manufacturers provide

serf407, Jan 10, 4:02am

3tomany, Jan 10, 4:38am
they got 180 mlillion from the government for that and i guess that money is all gone so they want more now

unbeatabull, Jan 10, 4:44am
Correct.

There is a Gen II/FG II due out but after that the new model Falcons will be sharing the same platform as the Taurus in the USA, with performance versions being powered by a Turbo V6 AWD, the standard versions will most likely be FWD or AWD by option.

neo_psy, Jan 10, 5:51am
Bingo. "Give us more money/bigger tax breaks or we'll close the plant"

neville48, Jan 10, 8:15am
Got to get down to Waihi beach and check out those containers for the Missing Monaro now.Bloody Rena.

bigfatmat1, Jan 10, 8:23am
What will the police use! Can't use fords they break down to much, police would not be able to get to emergencies quickly.

bigfatmat1, Jan 10, 8:24am
In saying that Holden should really sort out there software devolopers! Maybe ford will be in with a chance to win Bathhurst with no holdens wouldn't like their chances though.

nave12, Jan 10, 9:20am
They race holdens at bathurst!,could've fooled me.

vtecintegra, Jan 10, 9:36am
They'll be frigging huge too - the next Mondeo will probably be closer to current Falcon sized (even the current one is very close)

bubbles244, Jan 10, 6:40pm
that's BS, Holden australia is the only part of the GM arm that's made any money in the last ten years.

franc123, Jan 10, 6:52pm
Ho Hum, the demise of Holden and Ford Australia has been discussed that many times over the last thirty years that it isn't even worth a mention.Only yesterday Ford US committed a further $103M or whatever it was to further Falcon development, the reality is that if one goes so will the other.There will be changes but the Holden brand and a degree of manufacturing capability won't disappear completely.