2001 Toyota Vitz Clavia

haventrader, Feb 27, 12:13am
I bought one of these cars for the missus to commute to work and back, and general running around. I can see why they are so popular (fuel costs right down!). One thing that annoys me is what appears to be pinking of the engine. I have had a full service, changed spark plugs, had injector's cleaned etc, yet still seems to do it. It is most evident when the engine is cold, but at normal operating temperatures under load, is as clear as day. Any suggestions! Cheers

utwo, Feb 27, 7:17am
My brother's got a 2004 Vitz and it does the same thing. Likes yours, it's had a full service, new plugs, etc. Even on 98 octane the problem didn't go away entirely. What's interesting though, is he found if he switches the CTV transmission to sport mode, it never pinks (but uses more fuel).

thejazzpianoma, Feb 28, 6:59am
That would make a lot of sense actually. Just like changing down in a manual gearbox will stop/reduce pinking. Switching to sport mode of course effectively selects a lower ratio under acceleration.

Thought I would give this one a bump for you as well.

utwo, Feb 28, 8:03am
I forgot to mention, I had a Jap import Suzuki Swift as a rental car. It was almost brand new (6,000km on the clock), CVT transmission, and was always pinking (just lightly). Also, I've read reports that the latest model Accord Euro has major problems with pinking (check out the Australian Honda forums). Perhaps it's a case of manufacturers chasing low fuel consumption figures to the extent that the engines run just a little bit too lean!

ova53, Feb 28, 8:10am
We have one ,doesnt have this problem ,it is a manual and I use Mobil 110w 40

haventrader, Feb 28, 9:00am
Thanks Guys. I did not think the earlier Vitz models had CVT gearboxes though! I do at times turn the Overdrive off, and it does improve the pinking, but not by much. It is less noisy when I fill up with the good stuff. Cheers

audi_s_ate, Mar 2, 7:25am
+1 Huge problems with pinking, the dealer fuelled a friends with 91 and has pinked badly ever since. Honda refused to fix so he has made them buy it back off him at the value of one that has 0 problems and has purchased a new Mazda 6.

wills, Jun 6, 6:57pm
No, not likely a fuel ratio issue. Its more a function of the electronic ignition.

There is a similar thing that goes on with modern electronic ignition though in that they really tend to push the limits compared to what was achievable in the days of distributors with mechanical and vacuum advance.

However the technology that lets them push the boundries is well developed and more than adequite, has been for quite some time. Why some individual manufacturers are suddenly having problems seems a bit odd.

It should be noted too that the design breif of the VItz and Suzuki does not lead them anywhere near the bleeding edge of pushing economy boundries.