If price was no issue: Tesla Roadster or Elise?

Page 1 / 2
timmo1, Jan 16, 11:44pm
So Motoring MBers- If price was no issue, would you choose an Tesla Roadster (Electric car, 0-100km/h ~3.9 seconds) or a Lotus Elise (0-100Km/h ~ 4.9 seconds).Is the sound of a ICE important in a sports car or would you rather be able to hear what the tyres and chassis was doing when driving hard!

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=lsCVoYvRaZk

vtecintegra, Jan 16, 11:49pm
Or you could have a supercharged Exige (which is as quick 0-100 as the Tesla) and tens of thousands left over.

timmo1, Jan 16, 11:53pm
Play the game vtecintegra haha. An Exige if you wish. I chose the Elise as it seemed to broadly match the capabilities of the Elise on balance (i.e. Tesla is faster but worse handling than Elise, Exige is as fast and better handling) but the point of it was: If there was no difference in price between a EV sports car and the same car but powered by an internal combustion engine, which would you choose!

vtecintegra, Jan 17, 12:01am
Someone would have to let me drive one.

I suspect for that type of car I'd take light weight over more power.

richardmayes, Jan 17, 12:06am
I would need the range between refuelling, and the time taken to refuel my electric car, to be comparable to liquid fuel. A car can't have a limited range, it has to be able to run until I DECIDE to stop!

So I see the Tesla similarly to the Prius - I'm glad it exists, and I'm glad other people are buying them, because they are - hopefully - the way of the future, but they're not yet the car for me.

elect70, Jan 17, 3:40am
So long as itplayssound of ahot ICEso dont fall asleep .

friendly_prawn, Jan 17, 3:50am
timmo1 wrote:
So Motoring MBers- If price was no issue, would you choose an Tesla Roadster (Electric car, 0-100km/h ~3.9 seconds) or a Lotus Elise (0-100Km/h ~ 4.9 seconds).Is the sound of a ICE important in a sports car or would you rather be able to hear what the tyres and chassis was doing when driving hard!
neither sound like a V8, so the answer is neither.

bellky, Jan 17, 3:57am
love the tesla

mgmad, Jan 17, 3:58am
At the moment, the Elise. As the weight of batteries comes down, it will be a tougher choice.

Range of the Tesla depends entirely on how you drive it. Much like the Elise. But for a purely electric car it's pretty good, 245 miles they say

foxdonut, Jan 17, 5:31am
I'd still prefer something with a proper engine in it, like a V8.

foxdonut, Jan 17, 5:31am
The Tesla is an Elise with a different motor (literally).

the Elise is old hat now, The Tesla is a better performer so thats my pick.

wrong2, Jan 17, 5:51am
lmao

stick a powertec in it then

foxdonut, Jan 17, 12:11pm
All the best mid engine cars are V8's.

For the price of a Telsa (almost double that of an Elise btw Timmo), not including expenses you could almost get your hands on a 360CS in NZ. V8, better looking, a shit load more drivable and probably faster.

The only thing better would be a 911, and only because its cheaper.

mazzyz, Jan 17, 7:30pm
I'd rather have one of these instead: http://www.venomgt.com/the-venom-gt/specifications

vtecintegra, Jan 17, 9:53pm
You could pretty comfortably get an R35 GT-R. I don't know about better but it'd certainly be faster.

foxdonut, Jan 17, 10:24pm
too old fashioned / dinosaur tech.

There'd heaps of stuff you _could_ buy, but really, why bother.

vtecintegra, Jan 17, 10:26pm
How is an R35 dinosaur tech compared to an F360 or (any) 911!

elect70, Jan 18, 2:17am
What about the GM Voltisnt that in production now !

foxdonut, Jan 18, 2:24am
Wait - my bad - R35 is the new one, I was thinking of the R34.

Yeah - R35 - doing what Ferrari and Porsche were doing 10 years ago except cheaper and uglier. Just like everything Japanese.

Fair call - its a good performer for the coin. Better than an Elise or a Tesla.

wrong2, Jan 18, 4:31am
i swear you get more rediculous with each post

foxdonut, Jan 18, 7:55am
Forgive me. All toyotas look exactly the same to me.

richardmayes, Jan 18, 10:45pm
Correct - the only difference is, when the GT-R is ten years old, it will still be on the road.

fordcrzy, Jan 18, 11:10pm
I would get a new shape mx5 with a cosworth supercharger or a flyin miata turbo kit

foxdonut, Jan 18, 11:52pm
Exactly. Doing the shopping run like every other good appliance. Far, far away from the track where the grown up cars will still be lapping.

esprit, Jan 19, 1:43am
As an Exige owner, and a previous Elise owner, I'd take the Elise because it's lighter and better balanced. You buy a Lotus because of the way it feels to drive, nothing else. the lighter, petrol-engined car would be more fun, cheaper to own. Easy as that.