Tesla Vs Tree

Page 1 / 3
tony9, Apr 19, 10:14am
Oh Dear, Tesla cannot cope with a common cause of vehicle crashes - tree that jumps out in front of the car.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/two-dead-tesla-crash-texas-that-was-believed-be-driverless-wsj-2021-04-18/

bitsy_boffin, Apr 19, 10:26am
There are problems with this story.

Tesla doesn't "self-drive" without somebody in the drivers seat (except summon, which is carpark crawl).

Tesla doesn't self drive faster than speed limit.

Tesla doesn't self drive on unmarked roads (which this road was, right outside the owner's house).

When presented with this, our friend Occam suggests that the most likely solution is that the vehicle was not self driving and either the driver was thrown into the pax seat, or an unknown driver survived and absconded.

gpg58, Apr 19, 10:54am
Perhaps they used methods like the idiots in this video, to defeat no driver safety system?
https://www.thedrive.com/news/38787/mom-of-the-year-films-kids-stupid-and-dangerous-sleeping-tesla-driver-stunt-for-tiktok

bitsy_boffin, Apr 19, 11:13am
If it had been on a highway, I would have guessed something like that, but

https://twitter.com/alandail/status/1383864028859027458 https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2021/04/18/2-men-dead-after-fiery-tesla-crash-in-spring-officials-say/

"KPRC 2 reporter Deven Clarke spoke to one man’s brother-in-law who said he was taking the car out for a spin with his best friend, so there were just two in the vehicle. The owner, he said, backed out of the driveway, and then may have hopped in the back seat only to crash a few hundred yards down the road. He said the owner was found in the back seat upright."

Nah. I say driver was in the front, planted boot, lost control, hit tree, thrown out of drivers seat.

intrade, Apr 19, 12:46pm
you are faster then me. if vw would make cars like this they be locked up but a electric jesus talking crap and nothing else still walks free. autopilot the demented moron calles this. instead of if you want to die button. 9News: Tesla car crash: Two killed in driverless vehicle crash.
https://www.9news.com.au/world/tesla-car-crash-two-killed-in-texas-no-driver/f42877b6-a6c1-4ea1-8b3d-15c6de5e322c

intrade, Apr 19, 12:57pm
steve was said in a interview . paraphrasing. self driving cars wont be possible for a long time the technology is no where near able to compute with what is available to date.
and was is the one who started apple with jobs. jobs was the salesman and was the tech. Some snakoil salsmen like musk knows better then a real skilled person?

alowishes, Apr 19, 1:38pm
Big difference between ‘nobody in the drivers seat’ after the impact and no one in the drivers seat before the crash - did somebody see the car in motion and with an empty drivers seat.
Was that particular type of Tesla capable of ‘driverless function’?

serf407, Apr 19, 1:55pm
Should have had a Waymo do the driving.
Waymo - driverless taxi testing in Phoenix/ Chandler Arizona. 2021
(Waymo - division of Alphabet (Google, Youtube etc)

https://youtu.be/Wn13KnHYJ_A

tamarillo, Apr 19, 4:54pm
Idiots are idiots, can’t blame the car.

loud_37, Apr 19, 5:53pm
Waymo uses LIDAR, this won't be able to scale up enough to do full driverless.

bumfacingdown, Apr 20, 1:09am
Did it not take something like four hours for it to burn itself out and that was with thousands of gallons of water

gunna-1, Apr 20, 7:37am
I do blame such technology, the idiots were morons who were saying that driverless cars would replace idiot drivers, newsflash, the road toll is nothing to cry about, unless you like sensational media whipping you up into a frenzy, more people died on motorcycles than the war in the 70, you have crumple zones, air bags, pigs breathalizeing people like covid for the past 20 years and you still complain, this technology is dangerous.

tygertung, Apr 20, 8:01am
What is the 70? And you think it is a bad idea to try and stop people drink driving? Surely breath testing is a good idea?

onl_148, Apr 20, 10:32am
My question has always been "what problem is being solved by the development of self-drive / autonomous cars"
The development and use of this type of car / transport has basically 2 aspects. there is the "technological exercise" of designing and making the vehicle and getting it to work. in some resects this is the simple bit. The hard bit and the 2nd aspect is the social / legal rules associated with it. How responsible is the person sitting in the "drivers" seat ? . Similar to having to get a WOF to attest to the mechanical state of your car, do you have to get a "software" inspection. Given that at the heart of the car are several complex computer systems, I can imagine the temptation of owners to try and hack / modify the code to get it to do something extra, faster etc etc. It will present a challenge to every "spotty little" computer nerd to see if you can hack your dads car! Fiddling with the code on your self drive car will come the replacement for putting a racing cam in or similar.
Many of our current driving offenses have wording like ". in control of a motor vehicle. " who or what is in control of one of these vehicles.

gpg58, Apr 20, 10:58am
I wonder if (usa) cops attitude has changed since this in 2019, or what would happen here?
https://youtu.be/QeNP4lUktPE?t=304

I am guessing you would still get a ticket, as the person in charge of the vehicle?

alowishes, Apr 20, 11:20am
I’ll go away to try and figure out this post, particularly the ‘pigs breathalizeing people like Covid for the past 20 years’ bit.

onl_148, Apr 20, 11:57am
In this situation would it not be the same as getting a speed camera fine. the ticket goes to the registered owner, and it up to him / her / them to sort out who actually pays the fine. the police do not care who pays the fine as along as it is paid !

apollo11, Apr 20, 12:46pm
Why are they chasing self drive? Because whoever cracks it stands to make trillions of dollars in royalties. The car would join a pool of available cars in a Uber type system, driverless of course. Tesla would clip 30% of the fare, but in effect you'd be getting paid for having bought the car.
Then there would be the impact of driverless trucks- hundreds of thousands of driving jobs down the tubes.
Perhaps it is gearing toward no-one (other than the elites) owning a car, but renting from a pool as required- the great reset is inching forwards slowly.

intrade, Apr 20, 1:08pm

apollo11, Apr 20, 3:12pm
I don't think a device has yet been invented that can measure how little someone like Musk would care about the opinion of someone like you, intrade.

cjohnw, Apr 20, 3:34pm
I’m with Elon on that.

gunna-1, Apr 21, 6:43am
All the road safety and drink driving fascism since the 90s, and then they invent "safer" junk that kills people and some nutcase still rants about people being idiots is what i was getting at, Opps 70s i missed out an s, take me back to the 70s, they had some real accidents for people to complain about and drink driveing, ive been called an "idiot" "if you drink and drive your a bloody idiot" for 20 years and i barely infringed once, maby once by accident, and people still have "idiot" in every second word of there vocabulary still when it was a technical fault in some electronic frankinstine contraption that killed them and not being an "idiot" dose that sum it up, i,ve had enough of abusive fascists.

alowishes, Apr 21, 8:39am
‘many once by accident’ says it all.

tygertung, Apr 21, 8:52am
The issue with the drink driving is that it tends to kill a lot of innocent third party people, not the person who is committing the offense.

cjohnw, Apr 21, 9:07am
I read that as “maybe” once by accident.
Bit different than “many”.