HELP! Need advice with S/W - Audi A4 vs .

Page 1 / 2
happyking, Mar 7, 12:21am
I'm looking for a S/w 1.8 - 2lts
later model - say 2000+, budget around $6 - $6.5k (ideally around 6k)
not too fussed abt brand but a decent looker would be nice
want hassle free driving and maintenance - not sure if its a myth or not but am told a european is more expensive to maintain/run than a Jap.but auction # 352573038 caught my attention.
Since my knowledge around cars is very very limited, I'd really really appreciate if you knowledgeable folks on here could shed some advice! thanks heaps :)

carkitter, Mar 7, 1:17am
1998+ JUC Honda Accord or Torneo S/W would be just the ticket.

happyking, Mar 7, 3:28am
cheers steve. Its seems like such a long car! so you reckon, I shud stay away from the above auction!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 7, 7:48am
VW and Audi parts are excellently priced. Be vary wary of anyone that just spouts blanket statements like "anything European costs more to maintain". Ferraris cost more Corolla's to maintain, but Corolla's cost the same or more to maintain than Fiat Punto's.

With regard to the wagon for your budget you need to be realistic about what to expect, most vehicles in that price range are likely to need a few bits done or have some bits coming due.

You might be pushing your luck to get an Audi wagon in suitably good condition for your budget. But you could nearly squeeze a face lifted Passat for that money which would be well worth considering.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 7, 7:54am
The A4 Wagon you are looking at is not a bad car but is sort of on the cusp of Audi's transition to their newer generation of stuff. As a result they do have the odd electrical quirks etc that can turn up and they are not as supremely safe as the Passat or later Audi's.
The 1.8 Turbo engine in them is a real cracker little unit though, but remember to check if the cambelt is due.

In short if you have realistic expectations for your budget the Audi A4 might be O.K but at that milage and that particular model there is an element of risk. as there is with most cars in that age/price bracket.

Those accords like is mentioned above can be good reliable modern motoring for the money. Just make sure that the transmission has been serviced properly in past and it can be hard to go too wrong.

scotty20001, Mar 7, 7:56am
Passat 2.3 V5 wagon would shit on a Honda Accord of the same year in all areas, yes driven plenty of both.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 7, 7:58am
The V5 engine in the Passat while not the biggest fireball around may suit you since you like the idea of reliable motoring too. They are chain driven and renound for being bomb proof and doing huge milage.

scotty20001, Mar 7, 8:19am
far better steer than a detached Accord though, and far better built.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 7, 8:21am
Agreed, don't worry you have my vote!

craig04, Mar 7, 11:19pm
Looks like you have a new disciple there Jazz. Lol

happyking, Mar 8, 10:58am
thank you kindly. To be perfectly honest I'm not really after a euro and it was the price on the mentioned A4 that caught my attention. I had a 96 Caldina until it had to be written off (due to an accident) recently. I could perhaps dig deep and stretch to $7kbut then I wont have any $$ left for any workswhich the car might require.
I see quite a few Wingroads running as company cars and wondered what they were like!
The others which seem to confuse me are the likes of Mazda Premacy (346008283), Honda Streams and the likes. I'm confused or am I just over thinking this whle thing.PLS Advice! :)

phillip.weston, Mar 8, 11:03am
Wingroads are very tinny I've found.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 8, 11:06am
Try not to get caught up in the "Euro" or not carry-on it only opens the door to silly generalisations. Best to weigh each car on its actual merits.

One good thing about the silly generalisations is that there are some excellent cars that have become very under-priced for no reason other than this attitude.

The Passats mentioned above are about the best value wagons around in terms of bang for buck and are great all rounders in terms of reliability, parts pricing etc.

I would suggest you stick with that as your benchmark, go and drive some and then compare the wingroad etc. You will no doubt find the WIngroad a very poor alternative.

foxdonut, Mar 8, 11:20am
You'll get more car for the coin if you go with Japanese - more options, younger cars and at the risk of starting a shitfight, cheaper servicing as a rule of thumb.

My vote goes to an accord or another Toyota over the A4 you posted. Its spartan and basic spec, a car like that doesn't let you really enjoy the benefits of a European car - in this country you need to spend more money on German, Czech or Italian cars if you want a good one that you enjoy owning. You'll love it when you do, but if you have to compromise they're just a car and they do tend to cost more to keep on the road - it took me a couple of BMW's to clue into it.

thejazzpianoma, Mar 8, 11:25am
! I thought the one thing we all agreed on was that with Euro you got more car for the money!
Servicing, parts etc are of course a long running debate! With all respect Foxdonut I can appreciate the conclusion you have drawn from the vehicles you have had (remember the gist of it from when we listed them in a post) but I think outside the low spec BMW box there are real bargains to be had.

A $6500 Toyota vs a $6500 Passat is going to be no competition, hopefully poster 1 will try both and see.

erika12, Mar 8, 11:49am
Thejazzetc you seem very knowledgable and helpful with cars !Im kinda looking too and can't sleep.I will follow your profile and see if I can buy a car from you !Good luck to the original person posting.Me ! European all the way.It's worth the little bit extra and if you maintain them it's not too bad !~ Erika

erika12, Mar 8, 11:52am
But of course your name was all about music and not cars.Guess we should be buying bikes anyway with the ever-increasing petrol prices.

erika12, Mar 8, 12:01pm
But perhaps.Which cars hold their price better please.Beemers seem to devalue rreally quickly and there are loads on the road.But how about Merc and Audi and dare I say, Alfa !I probably won't get an Alfa for a few reasons but one of them, I really want leather & a sunroof and they don't tend to have sunroofs.Just wondering how quickly my $25,000 would devalue the least in which brand of car :)(If you're still awake, and none of us really should still be !)

trogedon, Mar 8, 4:07pm
Mmmmm.bicycles. Nice. 352573038 - $500 - $1k to get the speedo repaired!

thejazzpianoma, Mar 8, 11:00pm
Hi Erika,
Sorry I wandered off to bed before you posted.
Other than leather and a sunroof what else are you looking for i.e auto/manual large/small etc

With regard to depreciation you may find it better to spend justa little less than your 25K as some cars do hold in the 10-20K price range quite well.

With the cost of fuel being on your mind I would be tempted to steer you toward the VW Golf(or the Audi equivilent) as they are particularly economical yet still deliver the goods in terms of power. They also have the awsome 6/7 speed DSG gearbox's which blow the opposition out of the water in terms of technology. Incidentally its that gearbox that gives them most of the economy.

The only catch with the VW is getting one with a sunroof is likely to be nearly impossible. You might however find the some of the Mercedes product with a sunroof. We had a nice wee C200 Kompressor with leather and a sunroof. Those are good on gas and I suspect if you bought around the 2003 model for about 15K you could get quite acceptable depreciation. Mercedes parts are also very reasonably priced and the service centres are usually very good as well.

BTW I am not a dealer so no good looking at my profile for cars for sale. Happy to give you some impartial advice anytime though.

erika12, Mar 9, 12:52am
Hi and thanks for your response.If I had gone to bed when you more sensibly did I probably wouldn't have the migraine I've had all morning !I am driving a 1996 BMW 328i.Done just over 200,000kms and things are starting to go wrong with it.It doesn't have a sunroof so never really made happy !I like its power although I seldom use it but I do call on it from time to time and I like that.I have had several 325/328s and I don't really want a less powerful motor than that.Though not cast in stone.I guess I want the perfect car (and the perfect life to go with it!).My budget was initially $20,000 but I started looking at $25,000 and even higher which is pretty rediculous as a car is not a poor investment.I do love a nice car though and being in one always makes me happy.I thought of buying Japanese as the more sensible option but I just don't want to !.Low kms are pretty important.The BMW 3 series size suite me but I I started to look at 530s too.Although fuel economy is important these days.A sunroof (I totally adore the sun any way I can get it !).Leather (I'm pretty messy and have a dog), I don't mind 2 or 4 doors and I quite like a sporty car so coupe ok .I started going up in budget with all the facelift models.There's huge price variations and an older car does seem to be a far better buy.I just started to worry that if I spent $25,000 on a car now, it would be worth $10.000 less in ayear or two and that seems foolish (and I can't really afford it ).I am very confused and an absolute 'girl' when it comes to cars so any input respectfully appreciated.Many thanks, Erika :)

erika12, Mar 9, 12:54am
I have just sold my business in Wellington and am heading to the far north in a week or two.I love driving and now I am free from my business I am keen to catch up with my family and friends in both the north and south islands often !

erika12, Mar 9, 1:34am
Thank you fox-person.It does seem to have all I am after except the European badge.My 18 yr old car fanatic son (away at University) would sob tears of blood if I bought a Hyandai !But I see what you mean and many thanks, Erika

vtecintegra, Mar 9, 1:36am
Those older Hyundais were pretty average but the newer generation is every bit as good as the competition (the Genesis coupe which we don't get is supposed to be excellent)

erika12, Mar 9, 1:41am
I'll ask my boy what he thinks as I still want him to come home between semesters and mow my lawns !We've always been European through and through but now I'm just champagne tastes on a beer income (or no income now, actually !).Thanks for your input.Appreciated !Erika