Best 4WD ?

Page 2 / 2
mike77, Jan 20, 3:59am
Ha ha, don't be a mitzi hater!

I reckon .90's Jeepwill fit your bill easily.Basic as, and capable.
Heaps of aftermarket parts if you want to play. There are some serious Jeeps about.
Heaps of them at pick a part, to get normal parts at resonable prices.
(Try finding a Safari, Hilux or any toyota at Pick a part).
Down sides, Expesnsive to run about town if your using it to go to work. And you'll need a trailor obviously.
And you could set one up with a winch and muds (maybe even the trailor) for 5k easily.

If you want bikes in the Back i.e. a ute, To be honest, your screwed, it's going to be a Dog - generalising here, but any 4wdute for 5k will be rough and well used.

danni_2254, Jan 20, 4:02am
Hmm, interesting. I've had 2 x mitsi L200's and they both crapped out on the way home (alternator both times) had to buy a battery from the servo both times and drive home with no lights on that charge, even had a hitch hiker one of the times and I got her to help me push start it haha.
Anyway, I might look at getting a bank loan to up my budget a bit.

New question - Whats a good 4x4 ute for 8-10k !

intrade, Jan 20, 4:12am
surfs are a heap of crap offroad. my one got stuck on wet grass on the flat lol. unless you got a difflock it will be stuck in no time way to long wheelbase on surf also. smalland light suzuki are best offroaders.

intrade, Jan 20, 4:13am
well dont buy mitsubishi then you cut the risk in 1/2 already .

owene, Jan 20, 4:56am
Nissan Safari - will pull the balls off the Eiffel Tower twice.

mugenb20b, Jan 20, 5:08am
+1000000000

danni_2254, Jan 20, 5:18am
Nobody mentioned road tyres.

mike77, Jan 20, 6:17am
Bigger budget, same car, just more mod's and shiney bits ;)

hfc2, Jan 20, 6:54am
Really if ypu want to a REAL bush truck buy a 8os or 90s hilux. Will cost you 9000 or 10000 but as long as had service history ie every 5000 or before will easily do you 500,000 k,s, we run 3 of theseand the only way to kill them is a fairly serious crash.

johnf_456, Jan 20, 6:56am
Nice mate!

danni_2254, Jan 20, 6:56am
Thats what i'm looking at aye, would rather spend a bit extra and get something decent. Those SR5 hilux's look mean

r15, Jan 20, 7:28am
Like with a surf . New zealand's best value 4x4.

Dont overheat it and you'll be fine.

They are as capable off road as anything bar swb's.

All comes down to your tyres

skiff1, Jan 20, 7:36am
samurai or vitara. good hybrid tyres and a good compressor. get a petrol compressor as they are worth the money.

revn7, Jan 20, 8:57am
If your willing to spend that bit more on recovery gear how bout putting some of that towards the vehicle itself. I got a very good deal on a SWB safari with PTO winch love it to bits and the looks of agony pulling hiluxs out with no recovery equiptment haha. very tough truck with the 4.2 diesel

male_timaru, Jan 20, 11:31am
Never overlook an Isuzu Mu (2.8 Diesel Turbo with egr blocked off, intercooler on top) or a Surf (Petrol or Diesel)

chris_051, Jan 20, 5:19pm
+1 don't know why people recommend them, gutless thirsty head gasket blowing v6s and gutless head cracking turbo diesels. Rear LSD and the front IFS set up is about as good as tits on a bull. Definitely NOT a good 4wd base, before taking into account the high asking prices on them.
As for a decent cheap 4wd to get into I'd buy a Cherokee for 2 grand, fit 3" blocks between the springs with new rear u bolts and shocks to suit off eBay.com then a set of 32s. otherwise a cheap GQ Patrol or 70 series swb then mod it in time/as funds allow.

offrd1, Jan 20, 7:22pm
A jeep Cherokee would be the go,you can pick up a really good one for $5000 and i think there is one on trademe some where with all the gear on it ready to go.don't listen to the knockers of jeeps they are a bloody good 4x4 and tuff as.check this out439183718

frytime, Jan 20, 8:03pm
i've got 2000 bounty 2.5 turbo. gets to the 'top' car park up the aka's easy as. had it down to the waitaru(sp) hut on that track. it is a bit long for it and have droped a back wheel off on one of the corners on the way back, thats with the bull bar scraping the bank pushing the front around. there are some sharp coners past the 'roller coaster'.and that is on255/70/15 as found on standard 06 hilux, yup road tyres. many a time to the top of Maungakotukutuku. it always surprises me were it will go. just up graded to 31 inch at tyres, yet to play on those.

the track up the aka's for people who don't know is a old unused logging track from way back when, pretty simple track just have to pick lines, have some balls at times and know when to quit

mugenb20b, Jan 21, 3:03am
I've been to akas many times. But, mud tyres are a must, in my opinion. You can't predict what you are going to encounter when you go there, especially if you go past "the carpark". And if the weather turns sour, you'll be f.ed if you have road tyres.

danni_2254, Jan 23, 2:10am
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I've decided to with a Hilux, Ticks the boxes for me. If anyone from WGTN needs anything brought back from Tauranga i'll be doing a trip on the 28th to pick it up, I can set up an auction if anyone is keen.