Road user charges and new legiaslation it started

Page 2 / 2
scoobeey, Jan 22, 9:41am
i see the govt lookin at having EVERY diesel vechile installed with an electronic non tamper proof device at a palimentary discussion.or taxing deisel at the pump

mrfxit, Jan 22, 7:47pm
"electronic non tamper proof device" . << Ummmm

;-) yea I know .

intrade, Jan 22, 7:48pm
where did you hear that! I am always interested to know what they are up to again. did you read the new food bill.! accidently they put in the legislation that you cant swap a jar of jam with your naigbours. (yea right accidently this has happened).
http://thinkingshift.wordpress.com/

gregelz, Jan 22, 8:48pm
Boats and agricultural equipment that runs the country runs on diesel. That's a no go

that slice of people that use diesel is so small compared to the road using vehicles that have to have distance recorders, Maby there should be a system for those people to get untaxed diesel or the tax refunded at the end of the financial year. This system would be alot easy to run and administer. No way of tampering as there are no recorders. The disel motoring population can drive free knowing that the tax is paid when they pump tthe fuel.

Heave transport vehicles should still have hub meters to record the distance based on the damage done to the road, the problem is not with them as if they are found tampering with the hub meter they get really wacked for doing it and that is their income, their bussniss.

Its your avarage jo blow thats dicking with the spedo somehow to rip the system off.

A friend of mine got followed by the police for 3 km to see if the milage recorded on the police spedo was also recorded on his vehicle. it did but if it didnt they get charged and have to appear in court.

scoobeey, Jan 22, 9:07pm
saw it on tv:)

pollymay, Jan 22, 11:05pm
It's not that small, the government gets levies when you pay rego as well. They are still filthy rich, why are you bothering to defend their right to basically invade on everyone else for a few outliers. I've worked for a trucking firm and they were quite honest but on top of tax for the miles they were doing was the fact the police were running around playing gestapo, they had a set of incorrectly calibrated scales one night and issued several large tickets then said trucks were weighed at 3 independent calibrated scales and all within 100kg compared to the police one that was out 3 tonnes so that had to be defended. They will ticket you for having one axle 20kg over not even taking load cell error margins into account or the fact that it's utterly stupid when there is no way to independently know each wheels weight from the guages or the weigh bridge, beyond that it makes NO difference anyway cause it's not a safety issue if the rest of the truck is 3 tonnes under and this axle number is just an arbitrary one out of their ass.

So they are not only getting the mileage tax, they are often grossly unfair with the way police enforce the rules, ask any truck driver they've taken a liking to. This also costs a lot of time to the company even if they don't find anything they'll sometimes get pissy and hold you up over nothing. The government is making huge bank on diesel vehicles for this reason, it's no wonder some of them tamper with things to ease the sting. Just saying "tampering is wrong" is not the full story cause they get plenty out of unjust methods themselves.

smac, Jan 22, 11:14pm
Intrade, ignoring the ill-informed ranting, and sticking to the question: what is the last recorded odo reading on the NZTA system (i.e what was recorded at the last WoF where a reading from the old odo was recorded!), and what is the RUC paid up to!

In 25 years fiddling with predominantly petrol cars, you know how many faulty odo's I've seen on petrol cars! None. How many on diesels! A couple. Go figure.

gregelz, Jan 23, 12:02am
Im saying that the trucking companies are not the problem with tampering, they are the honest ones.

The problem is the average diesel 4x4 that is used on the road. If Diesel was taxed at the pump there would be no more problem, no tampering of spedos, no need to run distance tax collection system for small diesel vehicles. Every one pays the tax.

If farmers and boat users of diesel get their fuel tax free ( as they are not road users ) why should all the petrol farm equipment and boats and mowers and chainsaws and of road dirt bikes and everything else that runs on petrol and NOT used on the road have to pay the tax when they buy the fuel at the pump.

Different rules means trouble, Tax all fuels at the pump = no more problems

friendly_prawn, Jan 23, 12:12am
exactamondo!

pollymay, Jan 23, 12:21am
Lol WHAT problem! Lost revenue from skipped tax! Comparatively how much in the grand scheme of things given the amount of tickets issued for overdue miles and what not. There is no problem, only a perceived one, people who don't pay are outliers. You create another problem if you tax at the pumps because not everything that uses it is a road vehicle. Operate a 700hp twin engine boat at $80 an hour with most trips taking at least 4 hours cruising then see how you feel about doubling the price of the fuel just to catch a few rednecks running around in bighorns with the speedo unhooked. I don't use my racecar on the road, is the government going to give me exception! nope, in fact no one I know at the club bar one has exemption and that's for his commercial fishing boat. That goes for all the ATVs and stuff across the country to.

The government isn't pissing money out over this "problem" because they make it up elsewhere. If you want to be correct to the absolute finest detail on taxing EVERYONE then I should be exempt to the finest detail on everything I do, but that won't happen. System isn't perfect but neither is coming down heavy on it but neglecting the other side of things that plenty of tax on non road vehicles is payed to.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 23, 12:37am
I'm against any extra tax. I'm against the tax we already pay as it is spent without careful consideration as is always the case with people spending other people's money.