Private motors listings

nathanmac, Jan 26, 10:53pm
OK, I tried this in another section and haven't had any answers.When I do an advanced search in the Motors category for "Private Listings', why are so many of the results from car dealers!

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 26, 10:57pm
Perhaps because they're pretending to not be dealers so they don't have to pay the RMVT fee and honour the provisions of the CGA!

Or you could just be doing it wrong. Give us an example of someone who states they are a 'Dealer' that comes up as a private sale when you search.

nathanmac, Jan 26, 11:07pm
Indeed.I started community watching when I found one or two, but it just got ridiculous.Is no one up there keeping an eye on this, or is it just another case of them not giving the proverbial rats. once they have their listing fee of course

kazbanz, Jan 26, 11:11pm
hang on a mo-- Using the search function private listings only removes the listings by dealers who list via Autobase.
There is no way for TM to differentiate one type of person from another if they list direct through TM.
NOONE has done anything wrong except possiblythe TM spindoctors who say they HAVE differentiated dealers from private listingswhen in fact they have not

nathanmac, Jan 26, 11:12pm
So basically it's a misleading function and totally redundant!At least now I understand.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 26, 11:15pm
Yes, there is. The quantity of listings, their RMVT number listed on the auctions. There are many ways, if they cared.

kazbanz, Jan 26, 11:15pm
Nathen--In fairness it does eliminate hundreds -possibly thousands of adverts from your list by eliminating the Autobase linked listings.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 26, 11:15pm
Yep. I just CW'd one stating pretty much exactly that.

tonyrockyhorror, Jan 26, 11:16pm
But if that's all it's going to do it shouldn't be called 'Private Listings Only'.

nathanmac, Jan 26, 11:16pm
Perhaps, but it's still a woefully inadequate title for the search function at the very least.

kazbanz, Jan 26, 11:19pm
ACTUALLY-heck they aint gonna do THAT -it would take sophisticated softwarebut if all dealers had to have a TRADE account then it would be pretty easy.
Untill aunty sue with her TM store selling $1.00 knick nacks tries to sell a car and kicks up merry hell

nathanmac, Jan 26, 11:22pm
You need to tell your Aunty Sue to stop listing her unmentionables in the motors category too then!

Also there are a number of traders selling multiple vehicles without any sort of dealer links - I thought I saw TM on the news a while back saying they would be keeping eye on all that once the IRD started making noises about it all.Is it just the same old, same old, still happening!

kazbanz, Jan 26, 11:23pm
No arguements this end dude--but at least now you know WHY its not fully eliminatingdealer listings.
However if I could offer a bit of advice. When looking to make a buying decision I'd STRONGLY suggest including dealer listings in your search.
The reason being that if you don't you might end up paying the same money for a car privately that you would for the same car at a dealer.
By all means buy where you feel comfortable but as a point of reference dealer listings are invaluable.

jcwholesale, Jan 26, 11:28pm
Why cancel out the dealers, put in what you want, go to lowest price and you will find most are dealer listings cheaper than the public.
Or would you rather pay more for a car from the public!

nathanmac, Jan 26, 11:29pm
Have already done that but you guys have flooded the market with all those overpriced imports and with your new scaremongering line about how we can't import these anymore etc, etc lol.

So I was just looking to weed all those out and find the bargain that's just waiting for me to show up.

jcwholesale, Jan 26, 11:29pm
Oh and I pay taxes, tosser

nathanmac, Jan 26, 11:30pm
Look don't take this personally but some of us know our way around a car and how we want to search for listings is irrelevant.It's not like I'm going to do one internet search then buy a car.It's those sort of people that need dealers to relieve them of their hard borrowed money.

nathanmac, Jan 26, 11:31pm
Lol been a long week!

kazbanz, Jan 26, 11:35pm
Um actually I DO have an aunty Sue.-but anyhoo
I dunno what to say about "dealers" that claim not to be.
You are never gonna stop em -the gubbiment could but chooses not to

nathanmac, Jan 26, 11:49pm
One seller I saw had half a dozen vehicles listed, had recently sold several vehicles and had no dealer info, yet claimed to have been in the industry many years.Now perhaps everything is above board etc., but is there also the possibility such a seller could be trying to skirt the law on his responsibilities!Obviously you won't know for sure, but there seems to be areas where TM could tighten things up a little.I mean it's not hard to type half a dozen digits after the letters RMVT is it!

And before any dealers jump up and down about that - it would surely be in the interest of every legitimate operation out there to know they aren't competing with dodgy dealers. if that was at all possible.

kazbanz, Jan 27, 12:16am
Nathan-Heres a reality check for ya.
"They"(the gubbiment etc)actually couldn't give a fat rats
Youd have thought they would be actively policing this if only for the millions in unpaid GST and taxes.
So how does a legitimate dealer stop a large scale backyarder!
Report them to !--the gubbiment!

nathanmac, Jan 27, 12:24am
Well that's the thing - in the news this morning there is concern over the lower than anticipated tax take in the last year.If I was the boss of the world, I'd be looking at the easiest ways to remedy that - not hard to get someone to look at potential dodgers on TM I would have thought!

From another point of view, and it may not relate to you in particular, also I'm not just trying to have a jibe but here's a question.If you (anyone) are an RMVT, why wouldn't you put those details in a listing!What commercial advantage is there to omitting those details!

I would have thought it would be a benefit to include as much info as possible to support a sellers case for being of good reputation!