4x4's

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 6:22am
The one you're a looking at, is prone to cracking cylinder heads, but the engine is easy to work on and they are gutless compared to modern diesels. I had one myself with a brand new head and I errr.tweaked the turbo a little bit. If it's had a body lift (ie. aftermarket mounts between the body and chassis), it will need to be certified. They are also prone to rusting in the bottom of the doors, but who gives a rats arse! Otherwise, good trucks.

dionsthedude, Jun 29, 6:34am
Cheers, knew these were a tad gutless

ill Keep a eye out for the rust
thanks

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 6:35am
Automatic Isuzus, Mazda Marvie (unless it's got a decent lift kit and tyres), Ssangyong, Kia Sportage, V6 Suzuki Escudo, Chevy Blazer, Ford Exploder etc.

r15, Jun 29, 6:42am
you can get a 3 litre turbo diesel surf for that money.

people will tell you wah wah cracked head etc, they crack heads when they get hot.

they get hot when the cooling system isnt up to scratch.

usually the viscous fan doesnt work as it should. 2 options here, replace viscous unit, or take apart and repair viscous unit.

the radiator at their age will need a disassemble & rod out- or replacement

fit a trans cooler in conjunction with the factory one (assuming auto)

$6k tops =grunty, economical, reliable truck.

edit - i failed to notice the body lift & muddies etc on the one you linked to.yeah you wont get that gear on a 3 litre for that money

bubbles52, Jun 29, 8:06am
make sure the back window works!

buyme3, Jun 29, 8:07am
make sure its got a large exhaust fitted. makes all the diff wit cracking heads

bubbles52, Jun 29, 8:09am
LN61 surf would be my choice non turbo diesel is bulletproof

27pukeko, Jun 29, 8:18am
are you talking about for 4x4ing only!
Was thinking of buying an auto isuzu bighorn for mainly road use, occasionally towing horse float and driving in paddock but very low key

chris_051, Jun 29, 8:33am
No, because it doesn;t have a Toyota badge on it. People would rather recommned a slow, gutless, head cracking town truck thats shithouse off road (2.4t Surf) instead of a bighorn simply for the badge.

27pukeko, Jun 29, 8:36am
oh thanks - we want one just for a runabout/work truck but that can comfortably pull a horse float occasionally for short distances.looking at the 94-95 models, preferably lotus.Mate has a 93 one that I have been on a few longer trips with the horse and seems to do the job effortlessly.As long as its not a ford, I dont care what badge is on the front lol

haventrader, Jun 29, 8:40am
Mate, save yourself $2k and buy a Jeep Cherokee. You'll pick up a '95 to '99 model for less than $3k with Wof and rego. Have all the comforts, have enough grunt and will pull you out of anything. There are plenty of these things around to find secondhand parts (if you ever need any). The motor is well proven - why go diesel, unless it is used each day! Like the rest, keep the cooling system sorted, give it a good clean after each beach/ bush trip (keep the rust at bay) and service the motor when needed, and you're good to go.

muzz67, Jun 29, 8:51am
Have had a 2lt-e surf for 14 years. Was a comfy truck in its day,, bit outdated now tho.
Engines are ok when theyre not giving trouble, but cost a lot to fix.Not exactly economical,,3000rpm at 100kph. Wee bit noisy at that speed too. Sadly, I wouldn't recommend a 2lte to anyone ;-(Am much happier with the later 1kzte Surf we got now.

27pukeko, Jun 29, 8:54am
Mind you, this off roading malachy sounds like fun!Normally do it with four hooves, not tyres lol

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 9:06am
'93-'98 Bighorns are OK, but a lot of them seem to eat automatic transmissions. Manual ones are better.

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 9:08am
It is!

27pukeko, Jun 29, 9:14am
thanks for the tip - will defo see if transmission has issues, been serviced etc.
So hard to find manuals these days!

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 9:20am
That's true, a lot of auto Bighorns do high mileages, but a lot of them pack up as well. Toyota Hilux Surf with a 3.0 litre intercooled turbo diesel engine and Toyota Prado go quite well, but Prado is better for towing. Unfortunately, they are hugely over priced.

27pukeko, Jun 29, 9:35am
Yeah i was told the isuzus and prados are the best for towing horse floats.

Find the isuzus very comfy to travel in

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 9:38am
Only if they have Recaro bucket seats.

27pukeko, Jun 29, 9:45am
ha ha i wouldnt know about that!

r15, Aug 12, 3:43pm
no, electric wont provide the flow of a correctly functioning viscous fan with its shroud on. - and having both would cause the electric ones to be in the way of the air the vicous is trying to pull through