Am i mad buying a b4 subaru?

Page 1 / 2
elleluvdawine, Jun 28, 11:19pm
its non turbo 91, i hear good but then really bad things about subarus in general. is there anything positive to mention! and what is the "subaru knock' ive heard re the engine that can happen! thanks.

desmodave, Jun 28, 11:30pm
I had a great run in my 91 rs i had imported years ago.Shocks tyres brake pads and a radiator header tank were the only parts i had to replace on that car.A freind has over 450000 kms on his none turbo wagon and apart from a noisy gearbox thats been that way for a few years hes had no prob's.

elleluvdawine, Jun 28, 11:35pm
ok 50/50 feedback soo far.

elleluvdawine, Jun 28, 11:54pm
im getting a warranty to be sure. opinions are all good thou, appreciate that. never helps to hear from people who have had them, there just seems to be a bad wrap floating around, i had a dreadfull wrx which was a time bomb but then it was a turbo and an ex recon at that. so that was my fault

rob_rooster, Jun 29, 12:02am
I think it is just the luck of the draw with these cars.
I have heard some horror stories about Subarus but then I had a 96 WRX for 3 years and did 50,000kms in it without any trouble and drove it pretty hard at times.
I kept it stock standard so that helped as well!

jason18, Jun 29, 12:45am
I thought the B4 model was turbo.

andrea_w, Jun 29, 12:47am
Nope, B4 can be turbo or n/a

nickolaz, Jun 29, 1:15am
Pretty sure B4 is from like 1998 onwards, so a '91 isn't going to be a B4

loose.unit8, Jun 29, 1:30am
How does a blow off valve effect reliability!

321mat, Jun 29, 1:59am
One word. "Bang".

ducatiss, Jun 29, 2:09am
The 2L B4 is a good engine - dont let the stories put you off. The knock you refer to is actually a bit of piston slap in one or more of the bores (Subaru put out a Service Bulletin about it offering a free fix for those engines worst affected which consisted of a slightly different design of piston) though I'm not sure if this was the case here in NZ. The knock should only be audible when the motor is cold and only for the first few km's. If driven gently until the motor warms up it should not affect the service life of the motor.The problem with these engines is that young people generally buy them for the image and then flog the $%^& out of them when cold and don't maintain them. A generalization I know but one gained from much observation!ASubaru will not forgive poor maintenance. The 2.0 litre motor was a goodie as opposed to the 2.5 which had issues with the head gaskets (fixed after 03 - 05).
My advice is look for a 99 or later 2.0 B4.

321mat, Jun 29, 2:46am
And, the dealers are CROOKS.

flemingo, Jun 29, 2:49am
Never buy subarus unless your mechanically minded say goodbye to your moneys.

trogedon, Jun 29, 2:55am
'money' is a plural. It doesn't need an S.

wrxnz1, Jun 29, 4:01am
most subarus are good its the older ones that had all the issues mine is a 94 wrx ive done it up bigger turbo full 3inch exhaust widened from the turbo front mountetc ive had it 5 years and not 1 problem aslong as you are not thrashing it every minute of its life you should not have much trouble

wrxnz1, Jun 29, 4:01am
top gear even say they are very reliable

elleluvdawine, Jun 29, 4:11am
SORRY im a dork, itsa 2001!

elleluvdawine, Jun 29, 4:12am
well took it for a test drive and there was a fair big of lag when you put your foot down :( i hadnt noticed this with other b4s's id test driven, that or its coz i'd just come out of a v6 holden!

elleluvdawine, Jun 29, 4:15am
thanks ducatis, that has relieved me somewhat, still have my guard up about the lag, that aside no noises whatsoever, very smooth and saw the import certs and all was clear so hopefully not 9g down the drain .

antwerp87, Jun 29, 4:16am
it all comes down to bad luck servicing the way its driven etc. people seem to think that you buy a subaru you buy a race car throw a massive exhaust and thrash it. If its driven like any average road car and serviced well you shouldn't have an issue

ryanm2, Jun 29, 4:18am
Ive owned a lot of different turbo and non turbo legacy's. If you get one with service history, had owners who weren't young pimply, cap wearing dorks and the car doesn't have a 3 inch cannon sticking out its rear end you should be ok.
The people who say dont buy one have probably never had one themselves, and probably just relaying 'stories' they have been told.

elleluvdawine, Jun 29, 4:21am
lol any input into the lag! its like it took a breath but then shoots off quite nicely!

berg, Jun 29, 5:10am
Have a nice chat with your insurance company before jumping into the B4.
Due to a high theft risk a lot of insurance companies charge the earth to cover them. Sometimes the extra insurance makes the car not worth owning.
As for Subarus, I wouldn't own one but if forced would go non turbo 5 speed. They seem to hang together better.

jokerboss, Jun 29, 5:20am
its not a B4, that assignment is from 1998 Legacy's (Gen 3) B4 only denotes Boxer 4 too, RSK B4 is a turbo

lookoutas, Jun 29, 5:27am
You're wrong!