A warning regarding 2.5 diesel fords

attitudedesignz, Jun 16, 10:22pm
Yep, bore water is a killer kaz. I've had 2 cars in the past that died as a result.

jason18, Jun 16, 10:33pm
Same problem I get with shower glass. Bore water has a huge amount of minerals in it causing huge scale build up on the galss. Can just imagine it in a radiator.YUK

johnf_456, Jun 16, 10:34pm
Good advice had this with a few clients cars after digging deeper.

ntalke, Jun 16, 11:16pm
When I did one of my vehicles I was warned not to use tap water

Supercheap has containers of De mineralized water for this purpose

franko171, Jun 16, 11:24pm
put buckets out and get rain water

jcwholesale, Jun 16, 11:38pm
kaz I think the heading is a bit bias as the same would have happened to any vehicle. In saying that those motors are prone for cracking heads but usually at about 140000kms.

mugenb20b, Jun 17, 12:22am
The 2.5 litre turbo diesel Mazda/Ford engine is actually quite good. A lot of farmers in our area have them, and every 2 years we pull radiators out and get them rodded out. Those engines will easily do 400k with regular servicing and maintenance. The ones that do crack heads are the ones that are not looked after, where farmers treat them like bulldozers in paddocks. Grass, seeds, mud and cow $hit block up the radiator fins and pop goes the head.

xacoon, Jun 17, 12:46am
radiator core itself is partly to blame, very small tubes, need a very small rod to clean them, so in turn beacause they are so tiny they block quicker than anyone would expect a modern radiator to block.

xacoon, Jun 17, 6:36am
thats problem solved right there.

mrfxit, Jun 17, 7:25am
LOL. well bugger me . Bit over the top having to pull the radiators out for rodding every 2 years, points to a manufactures firk up for sure.

crzyhrse, Jun 17, 8:56am
Rainwater is filthy. It picks up all the dust from the atmosphere when it falls. Never use it in batteries.

mike77, Jun 17, 8:57am
Another my mate story . but owned a 03 mazda from new, and meticulous regarding servicing, popped the head at 155km was only 3 years old. High kms from mainly doing runs from nth to sth island no towing either!. but like ya say, hard water probably makes it worse. 5k over the factory warranty, but from memory they covered it.

crzyhrse, Jun 17, 11:33pm
How many people even know coolant needs changing.

johnf_456, Jun 25, 9:44am
or the sort that put in straight water, then wonders why it wrecks havoc.