Cooling system flush options.

dansue, Jun 16, 8:20am
Has anyone found a really successful method of cleaning out brown/greasy slime from the cooling system apart from stripping the radiator and components!
A magic solution perhaps!

johnf_456, Jun 16, 8:26am
A magician

franc123, Jun 16, 9:00am
Yep, it's called not letting it get into that state and doing coolant flushes every two years with a minimum 33% concentration of a good quality antifreeze, and doing a rod out of the radiator about every five or six years.If theres greasy slime in there just getting the coolant clean is just the start of your problems I'd say.

dansue, Jun 16, 9:12am
So true.
Im dealing with farmers and old neglected (but used daily)tractors.
Sometimes a complete strip and clean out is worth almost the tractors value!
I guess im just hopeful someone has found a method that works well eh.

toyboy3, Jun 16, 9:06pm
The best I have found is toput a spoonfull of dishwashing machinepowder and run the engine up to operating temperture plus, repeat if needed

intrade, Jun 16, 9:19pm
if you got crap in your cooling system. that is usually a bad sign.
you simply want to remove the thermostat and put it back and flush it thru with a gardenhose till it is clean with top hose off radiator etc.
The reason why you dont want to used flushing agents is because you are likely going to cause holes where the lime scale and rust has coverd em up by now. So if you where to flush with agents and the coolingsystem was in a bad way you would have . a poked radiator a leaking headgasket leaking piping on the back of the engine . just to name afew possibile outcomes.
not to mention that all coolant hoses are getting poked from not having antifreeze in the system for longer.

intrade, Jun 16, 9:22pm
rodding radiators is not possibile on new cars radiators are made from copper coated aluminium and they are designed to last 6 years and ususally last up to 10. by that time you just waste your money to get a radiator like this cleaned its throw in the rubbish and fit new these days. old radiators are another story the ones that have heavy copper finns and and tops not plastic.

dave653, Jun 16, 9:56pm
New product called 'Mukowt' by Tectaloy, alkaline radiator flush designed to properly clean the engine out.

crzyhrse, Jun 16, 10:26pm
If they don't want to do it because of cost, then don't. They can just buy another one of those tractors that only cost as much as a cooling system flush.

paul271, Jun 17, 5:43am
Try calling Ross Hooks, he sells Proma (might need to google it). They sell a radiator deoiler thats mahic at cleaning out big oil spills inside engines from head gasket failures. My radiator shop put me onto it, works a treat.

dansue, Jun 22, 11:46am
Cheers for the suggestions,some new ideas coming thru that i can experiment with !